Used 2008 Kia Optima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

2008 Kia Optima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Best car I've ever had!
By MARK A PETERSON

2008 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car new in 2008 and now have 93,000 miles on it. The only maintenance items I have had done were rear brakes at 75,000 miles, front brakes at 90,000 miles and new tires. Oh, forgot about the new battery at 46,000 miles (thought that was too soon). I have had the oil changed at 3800 miles on average and changed transmission fluid once. It won't stop being dependable. Love it!

Love my car
By yellowbus1

2008 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Love my Kia have had it for two years now with no major issues im at 65000 mil... get 20-28mpg, its fun to drive and handles well. I have only had a few problems that were all covered under worriment, there was an issue with the sway bar Waring out and the power locks going out, also have had to replace the radio and visor on the passenger side. all little fixes so over all a grate car that has done me well and i plane to drive to the ground. The one major disappointment that was not covered is the TPMS sensor going out and kia refusing to fix saying i caused it

Favorite Features

not a lot of extras in it like the usb port and driving a manual

Suggested Improvements

fix the visor issue

Do Not Get a Kia
By barbararoberts

2008 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my car brand new in June '08. The main reason I bought an Optima is because all the safety airbags on it. it really did seem to be a safe car on the market at that time. Since then I have seen a main complaint that the airbags DO NOT deploy when there is an impact. That gave me a really big concern. Well, now my car is cutting off with me as I start down the road and I have been told it is because I have used aftermarket oil filters. BULL!!!!! They put Kia oil filter on and guess what? It is still cutting off with me. I came to a T-intersection one day and it desided to cut off. When it did NO BRAKES, No Power Steering and I had to pull out IN FRONT of another vehicle that was coming and just luckily there was noone coming in other lane so that vehicle could go around me. And I guess that I forgot to mention that my 10 yr old SON was in the car with me. I have taken my car down to the Kia shop in Myrtle Beach, SC every Tuesday for the last 2 months and it also stayed there for 1 full week during that time. NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE EXCEPT A KIA OIL FILTER PUT ON... I"m considering this car to be a LEMON and I have told Kia that it will be on them if this car kills me and my son until it is fixed or replaced. I have been dealing with Wes and Bob at the Kia Service area in Myrtle beach, SC which has been very nice to me but something has to give. I am fixing to list this car under the Lemon Law with my lawyer. The safety of this car SUCKS!! I need help with this. Someone else higher up the ladder needs to step in on this case. Wes has a case number already out with the Technical staff but something has got to be done. I can not have mine and my son's life in jeoperdy like this. THIS CAR IS DANGEROUS. I have dropped it off AGAIN at the Kia Service area this evening (09/03/12) for the ump-teenth time so it can be checked out again tomorrow. I will travel ANOTHER 45 min to check on it tomorrow. My days off from work should NOT be spent at the Kia Service area.

Reliability could get 6 stars
By bklyndriver

2008 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I've had this car, as second owner, for three years. It has never been a problem. All I've done is replace the brakes and tires. It's still got less than 35K miles, but so far this is the best around-the-town car I've ever had. It is surprisingly fun to drive, handles great. Downsides: I don't get the mileage I thought it would get - seems like I fill up a little too often. At about 30, I can feel the gear shift. There is absolutely no style to this car - it is super generic. These things don't detract from how good the Optima is.

Favorite Features

Everything about the driving. Excellent radio in the base model.

Suggested Improvements

Styling is terrible, but new models are lovely. Cleaner shifting.

Stay away from Kia
By i_hate_kia

2008 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

1 BAD EXPERIENCE , I will never buy another , motor locked up with only 46,688 miles , they piece together another new engine because kia was to cheap to send a complete motor it runs for 10,00 miles and the oil light starts coming on at ideal. I ended up letting the dealer buy the car back and bought a Toyota camry, almost forgot car was out of service for 47 days the first time and the next time well its been 3 weeks today and its still not fixed 1/11/12 VERY BAD EXPERIENCE

Favorite Features

The car looks Great , thats about it.

Suggested Improvements

Can you spell ( RELIABLE ) To many problems with these cars