2008 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
Do Not Get a Kia
By barbararoberts on 09/03/12 16:30 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my car brand new in June '08. The main reason I bought an Optima is because all the safety airbags on it. it really did seem to be a safe car on the market at that time. Since then I have seen a main complaint that the airbags DO NOT deploy when there is an impact. That gave me a really big concern. Well, now my car is cutting off with me as I start down the road and I have been told it is because I have used aftermarket oil filters. BULL!!!!! They put Kia oil filter on and guess what? It is still cutting off with me. I came to a T-intersection one day and it desided to cut off. When it did NO BRAKES, No Power Steering and I had to pull out IN FRONT of another vehicle that was coming and just luckily there was noone coming in other lane so that vehicle could go around me. And I guess that I forgot to mention that my 10 yr old SON was in the car with me. I have taken my car down to the Kia shop in Myrtle Beach, SC every Tuesday for the last 2 months and it also stayed there for 1 full week during that time. NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE EXCEPT A KIA OIL FILTER PUT ON... I"m considering this car to be a LEMON and I have told Kia that it will be on them if this car kills me and my son until it is fixed or replaced. I have been dealing with Wes and Bob at the Kia Service area in Myrtle beach, SC which has been very nice to me but something has to give. I am fixing to list this car under the Lemon Law with my lawyer. The safety of this car SUCKS!! I need help with this. Someone else higher up the ladder needs to step in on this case. Wes has a case number already out with the Technical staff but something has got to be done. I can not have mine and my son's life in jeoperdy like this. THIS CAR IS DANGEROUS. I have dropped it off AGAIN at the Kia Service area this evening (09/03/12) for the ump-teenth time so it can be checked out again tomorrow. I will travel ANOTHER 45 min to check on it tomorrow. My days off from work should NOT be spent at the Kia Service area.

Reliability could get 6 stars
By bklyndriver on 07/15/12 21:06 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I've had this car, as second owner, for three years. It has never been a problem. All I've done is replace the brakes and tires. It's still got less than 35K miles, but so far this is the best around-the-town car I've ever had. It is surprisingly fun to drive, handles great. Downsides: I don't get the mileage I thought it would get - seems like I fill up a little too often. At about 30, I can feel the gear shift. There is absolutely no style to this car - it is super generic. These things don't detract from how good the Optima is.

Stay away from Kia
By i_hate_kia on 01/11/12 13:30 PM (PST)

2008 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

1 BAD EXPERIENCE , I will never buy another , motor locked up with only 46,688 miles , they piece together another new engine because kia was to cheap to send a complete motor it runs for 10,00 miles and the oil light starts coming on at ideal. I ended up letting the dealer buy the car back and bought a Toyota camry, almost forgot car was out of service for 47 days the first time and the next time well its been 3 weeks today and its still not fixed 1/11/12 VERY BAD EXPERIENCE

one thing after another
By bobbyhill on 12/30/11 21:33 PM (PST)

2008 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

iv had my car for just over a year, i bought it off my dad and he got it new in 08! in the last year i have had nothing but problems with it, first it was struts and sway bar links and bushings, then wheel bearing, and now the newest thing is my headlights like to burn out, replaced the passenger one 4 times now, at $25 a bulb for h11b its getting expensive, had it to the dealership and they want me to spend a bunch of $ to replace the headlamp assembly! iv been reading up on this and it seems it was a real issue in some of the older optimas, 02 especially! oh yeah, when i had it in there to look at headlight they told me the shift module had to be replaced, at $700 i passed, NOT IMPRESSED!!

A fair car for the price
By patdaddyt on 11/14/11 11:59 AM (PST)

2008 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

We've had our car for 3 1/2 years now, For the last few months our car has really bad road noise like a wheel bearing is going out or somethings wrong with the new tires we just put on the car. tom. we're going to get it checked out a kia dealership maybe they can fix it.

Awesome Optima LX
By ex_green_beret on 06/04/11 17:16 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I've had my '08 Kia Optima LX for nearly 3 years, I bought it new when gas went to $4/gal back in '08. I got rid of my Hemi Ram and bought the Kia thinking I'd keep it for a little while and trade up later. It now has 107,000 miles on it and has proven itself an EXTREMELY reliable little car. I've done nothing to it except change the oil and filter religiously every 5k miles, had one brake job done at 75k miles, replaced the battery at about 60k miles, put on a set of new tires at 72k miles (I put on Kumho KH16's since that's what it came with), and flush/fill the radiator every 45k miles. I did almost all the maintenance myself. IT'S THE MOST RELIABLE CAR I'VE EVER OWNED and I love it!

Good with Flaw
By KIASTINKCS on 12/04/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I've really enjoyed my Kia Optima. However there is a major issue with the car stalling and power cutting out, upon starting the car up and when driving.

My Kia
By Karin on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have nothing bad to say about my Kia Optima. The only thing I don't like is the headlights. They are pointed too low. It's like 20 ft in front of you is bright, then it drops off to total darkness.

Best new car yet
By art on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I own a '08 optima. Was skeptical at first, but after a shake down Cruise of 500 miles, I was hooked. Got 31 mpg new. Only after market addition was a k&n air filter. Got 50.000 out of the original tires and believe it or not the brakes! Have had no major problems and it only left sit once a dead battery! I remember the earlier models and all the problems associated with them. Night and day! Way to go! Would recommend Kia to anybody looking for an inexpensive durable car. BTW mine has over 75,000 on it.

Great car, so far: SAFE
By Jose on 09/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I wanted to get a safer, more reliable car for my kids. Got a great deal, and the car still has 3 years/30,000 miles on original warranty, then a lifetime dealership kicks in. Rated safest car I could find, next to Subaru Legacy, which would have cost $10,000 more. Happy so far; I'll check back in 6 months.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.