Used 2007 Kia Optima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Kia Optima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2007 Kia Optima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Honest opinion
By pamela

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have had this car for a month already. I really like it but I have had to replace the trunk seal because it leaked when you ran it through the car wash and I had to have a fuel pump and sender replaced. The sender doesn't come separately so you have to get the whole pump. The car had around 28,000 miles on it when I bought it. I was a little disappointed that a major part had to be replaced already. free under warranty but I am a little worried about down the road repairs. I hope it is better than the ford contour I had before that thing was always being repaired. I did do some research and found the type of engine inside the car is suppose to be good for 250,000 miles. I hope it lasts.

I love the blue dashboard lights!! I like the style of the car&inside. I like the fold down seats. I love the attached hubcaps I was always losing them on the other car. I like the outlet to plug the cell phone into. I like the black on the floor it seems to look clean all the time even when dirty..

Bars. I wish with the little bars indicating how much fuel you had left they had something that indicated how many miles you had to go until a bar disappeared. Its hard to tell how far you can go before one of the bars disappear. I like the digital bars but they really need to add that feature. mpg?

My Greatest Mistake
By Tom

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

First I have to say that it saddens me horribly to write a poor review for this car. It was such an amazing car for the longest time. My commute is 148 miles everyday and my Optima handled the long daily drive like a champ until this last month. At 63,373 miles the engine failed. It seized just cruising down the highway and nearly caused me to crash into the center divider. After a nice little dance with Kia, they agreed to replace it. At 65,973, the transmission had to be replaced. Finally a Kia mechanic told me that the 07 models have some severe quality issues. He said that owners who do heavy driving, and have long commutes have had head gasket, engine and transmission problems.

Car was amazingly comfortable on long drives. Great handling, cruise control, a seemingly perfect car until things started to roll down hill. I sold the car to carmax and informed them of my problems. They didn't seem to care and they were happy the car had a new engine and transmission.

Admit your problems with the new automatic transmission. I would recommend avoiding this car at all costs unless you want to be stranded on the road. I wish I would have known about the quality problems before I bought it. Kia tech said 6 cylinder version is reliable and problem free. Avoid 4cyl!

Poor Reliability
By JonBoy3109

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Car ran perfectly fine for the first 42,000 miles and then everything went downhill. Head gasket blew, then the automatic transmission went crazy on me & blew, cruise control went out, car has died three times on the highway and left me stranded. I babied the heck out of the car. Mobil 1 full synthetic oil every three thousand miles, new transmission fluid, all scheduled maintenance, everything. The car really seemed to be perfect until it hit the 42,000 mile mark I sold the car last month and the new owner has informed me that the car has had numerous insanely costly problems. I warned him before he bought the car but he fell in love with the style and he said he read some great reviews.

Gas mileage was good, I averaged 28 highway, and 19 city. The Kia warranty saved me about $7,500 in repairs I would of had to pay. The dealership says that they are having a ton of problems with this car once it reaches the 50,000 mile mark.

Build quality.

I Love This Car
By rick fagan

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I drive 52 miles round trip sometimes six or seven times a week. The Optima handles very well in heavy traffic and the shifttronic feature is just the best to pick up speed fast. This car averages 28 miles per gallon and I have not had any car troubles.

The blue dash board, wonderful sounds from the radio, and six air bags.

abs brakes should be standard. better cup holders.

Nice ride so far
By 4 door sedan

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Just bought this car new a week ago. Not many miles driven yet but so far the car has met/exceeded expectations. It's quiet in town and on the highway, even at 70/80 mph with only minor wind noise from the outside mirrors, a big improvement over my last car. Transmission is very smooth and the powertrain combination gives excellent performance on hills. Ride is comfortable but the driver seat needs an extra inch or two of seat cushion to give better thigh support for longer trips. I looked at the Civic and Nissan Sentra and Versa but dollar for dollar, the Optima was a no brainer, lot's of bang for the buck. I'll give another rating after I put more miles on the car.

Powertrain performance, braking capability, highway stability for a car this size, short turning radius makes cornering/parking easy. Layout of interior controls.

Longer driver seat cushion, ESC and ABS standard. Offer an automatic rear view mirror as a standalone option.