Used 2007 Kia Optima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

2007 Kia Optima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Concerned about the reviews here
By starsky

2007 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Transmission and engine problems abound in some of these reviews. My wife drives the car most of the time and has had a transmission flush done because she though the transmission was "funny". No more tranny complaints. I drive 80+ miles to work each way and got 35+ MPG maintaining 55 to 62 MPH. No problems other than a rattle in the overhead reading lamps which the dealer took care of promptly. Car now has 42000 miles and runs even better. First 5000 miles or so the car seemed to struggle in cruise control as the engine raced to maintain speed. However, car no longer misses a beat except for the steepest inclines.

Suggested Improvements

First 4 cyl that we owned. Cold weather makes a noisy engine but not any worse than other 4 cylinders. The car is kept in a insulated garage in the winter.

A meaningful and honest review.
By Allan Birmantas

2007 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My beautiful, dependable and comfortable kia optima ex is the best and most dependable car I have ever owned. It has all the conveniences I can think of, it gets good gas mileage and it never breaks down. I have had complete strangers compliment it's styling, I have gotten as much as 40.7 mpg on one trip, and after 31,000 miles it still runs like a Swiss watch. Perfect and quiet. It also handles very nicely. In other words... For the price, in it's field, it is simply perfect. A ten in every way.

Favorite Features

Leather,heated power seats,the CD/casette sound system,spacious trunk,the overal look of the dash.

Suggested Improvements

MPG on the trip computer(2009s have it)

Absolutely no problems in 2.5 years
By grizjack

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Why all the one's in the block of previous reviews? Looks suspicious to me. In my case there's been absolutely NOTHING negative in 2.5 years of ownership. Rock solid-- just like Consumer Reports says.

Favorite Features

Interior upscale lighting.

Suggested Improvements

Better drivers information-- no mpg rating, no tire pressure indicator.

Read This Review Before Purchasing
By ColoradoJack

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car brand new with 7 miles on it. My 2007 Kia Optima has went through four different automatic transmissions. Kia will refuse to fix their defective car until you threaten legal action and then all the sudden they agree to pop in yet another transmission. My head gasket has blown twice and the car leaks oil and transmission fluid. I'm afraid to turn the car off sometimes because I seriously wonder if the thing will blow up the next time because it's so poorly made.

Favorite Features

If the car ran for more than a four month period consecutively I might be able to actually like something about the car.

Suggested Improvements

What is wrong with these automatic transmission? Mechanics at the Kia Dealership say the owners of 2007 and 2008 Optima model are always in the shop furious with the car and going through transmissions like crazy. They told me that the Kia Rio is a better built car than the Optima.

BEWARE!! Don't buy a Kia Optima
By Bev

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We purchased our Kia Optima 12/26/07, big mistake, not to long after we started having trouble. Started out with the trunk opening up either going down the road or while it was parked. Hesitation driving between 40 & 55, then the lifters started making noise. Cruise control came on for no reason, & the list goes on. We took it to the dealer many times & they just told us that they couldn't duplicate the problem so nothing was wrong with it. We finally took it to a certified mechanic & found the problem in a couple of hours, that the service department where we bought the car didn't/wouldn't find. Resale value is in the dump. It's not worth the money.

Favorite Features

Only thing good about it that it has good high beam headlights for night driving

Suggested Improvements

Should scrap the car.