Used 2007 Kia Optima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

2007 Kia Optima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Scarry to drive Optima
By Customer

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We have this car for two years and have constant problem with passenger air bag sign not turned off if passenger about 150 lbs is present. No problems with passenger of 200 lbs. NHTSA has 32 complaints for Optima 2006-2008 for the same problem with couple of injured persons, but the only thing Dealer and KIA representative suggested is "passenger need to sit exactly in the middle of the seat, only in upright position, no legs crossed, no leaning on one side or another.If problem occurs, stop the car and restart it". Seems as just an excuse for malfunctioning and dangerous design flaw. Quite scary to be a passenger in this car, no proper company response to the unsafe design flaw so far.

Favorite Features

Other than above, nice, not expensive car, fun to drive, nice looking.

Suggested Improvements

Re-check passenger and driver's air bag system and sensor for safety (Like Nissan did for their QUEST 2004 - they re-designed sensor). OR, make passenger air bag turn on/off manual for driver to setup according to car's passengers.

Been a great little car...
By Mike Z

2007 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I was skeptical when I test drove the Optima, I'm 6'3 and 220 lbs, so I thought I wouldn't fit in it. The seat is fine, and I have more than enough room to sit with an adult in the back seat behind me. I've been impressed with the fit/finish and reliability. I've got 46,000 miles on the car and the only time its been in the shop is for regular maint (oil/trans), and the visor broke twice. By far the most reliable of the 10 cars I've owned in my life. I went from a loaded SUV, so I went with a loaded optima; leather, moonroof, and the infinity sound system is amazing. Smooth ride, plenty of power.

Favorite Features

Fit and Finish are that of a much more expensive car.

Suggested Improvements

I have read about others who have had the visor break, this is annoying because while you wait for one to get shipped in, its hard to drive.

Avoid the Optima
By RichardErikson

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My transmission has been replaced twice. Bad head gasket. I bought it new and it was great for the first two years and then this year it has been problem after problem.

Suggested Improvements

Better reliability, better car parts that don't explode or crack after a couple years.

Some problems -overall good car
By mickkia

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased this this vehicle used in April of 2009 with 23500 miles. Since then I had two problems, both front sway links need to be replaced and one of the rear brake was worn unevenly. Took numerous visit to repair shops over two months to figure out the brake issue (car was squeaking periodically when moving - was driving me crazy). The bad sway links were covered under Kia warranty. Since the repairs, the car has been running fine. The dealership was very professional in fixing the problem. Car now has 33000 miles on it. P.S. - trunk sometime open by it own. Happen to me about 4 times in 5 months. Also, averaging 27 miles per gallon with 80% stop/go driving -

Favorite Features

1)Interior styling, great seats in front. Very roomy in back per my co- workers. 2)Air conditioner is excellent. 3)Good performance for a 2.4 V4 engine.

Suggested Improvements

1) More standard safety features like antilock brakes, ESC, traction control. (I think current model have these as standard but not in 2007. 2)More optional accessories purchase. 3)More noise buffering please, traffic sound is more than average when compared to my other vehicle.

Great mid size sedan
By Allan Birmantas

2007 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We now have over 31,000 on it, and it was trouble free. Had some initial issues, but once the problems with the air bag were resolved it has been perfect. All I do is change the oil, filters and tranny fluid. Good mileage, everything works and it's so far the best car I have ever owned. I have been driving since 1957 so you can see that I have a lot of experience with cars.

Favorite Features

The interior, and the overall styling. Great ride on the interstates and the climate control.

Suggested Improvements

MPG on the trip computer, and a compass on the mirror.