2007 Kia Optima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
Been a great little car...
By Mike Z on 10/30/09 15:41 PM (PDT)

2007 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I was skeptical when I test drove the Optima, I'm 6'3 and 220 lbs, so I thought I wouldn't fit in it. The seat is fine, and I have more than enough room to sit with an adult in the back seat behind me. I've been impressed with the fit/finish and reliability. I've got 46,000 miles on the car and the only time its been in the shop is for regular maint (oil/trans), and the visor broke twice. By far the most reliable of the 10 cars I've owned in my life. I went from a loaded SUV, so I went with a loaded optima; leather, moonroof, and the infinity sound system is amazing. Smooth ride, plenty of power.

Avoid the Optima
By RichardErikson on 10/29/09 11:17 AM (PDT)

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My transmission has been replaced twice. Bad head gasket. I bought it new and it was great for the first two years and then this year it has been problem after problem.

Some problems -overall good car
By mickkia on 09/18/09 23:53 PM (PDT)

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased this this vehicle used in April of 2009 with 23500 miles. Since then I had two problems, both front sway links need to be replaced and one of the rear brake was worn unevenly. Took numerous visit to repair shops over two months to figure out the brake issue (car was squeaking periodically when moving - was driving me crazy). The bad sway links were covered under Kia warranty. Since the repairs, the car has been running fine. The dealership was very professional in fixing the problem. Car now has 33000 miles on it. P.S. - trunk sometime open by it own. Happen to me about 4 times in 5 months. Also, averaging 27 miles per gallon with 80% stop/go driving -

Great mid size sedan
By Allan Birmantas on 09/14/09 10:42 AM (PDT)

2007 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We now have over 31,000 on it, and it was trouble free. Had some initial issues, but once the problems with the air bag were resolved it has been perfect. All I do is change the oil, filters and tranny fluid. Good mileage, everything works and it's so far the best car I have ever owned. I have been driving since 1957 so you can see that I have a lot of experience with cars.

Concerned about the reviews here
By starsky on 09/08/09 16:25 PM (PDT)

2007 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Transmission and engine problems abound in some of these reviews. My wife drives the car most of the time and has had a transmission flush done because she though the transmission was "funny". No more tranny complaints. I drive 80+ miles to work each way and got 35+ MPG maintaining 55 to 62 MPH. No problems other than a rattle in the overhead reading lamps which the dealer took care of promptly. Car now has 42000 miles and runs even better. First 5000 miles or so the car seemed to struggle in cruise control as the engine raced to maintain speed. However, car no longer misses a beat except for the steepest inclines.

A meaningful and honest review.
By Allan Birmantas on 09/06/09 07:38 AM (PDT)

2007 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My beautiful, dependable and comfortable kia optima ex is the best and most dependable car I have ever owned. It has all the conveniences I can think of, it gets good gas mileage and it never breaks down. I have had complete strangers compliment it's styling, I have gotten as much as 40.7 mpg on one trip, and after 31,000 miles it still runs like a Swiss watch. Perfect and quiet. It also handles very nicely. In other words... For the price, in it's field, it is simply perfect. A ten in every way.

Absolutely no problems in 2.5 years
By grizjack on 08/26/09 21:07 PM (PDT)

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Why all the one's in the block of previous reviews? Looks suspicious to me. In my case there's been absolutely NOTHING negative in 2.5 years of ownership. Rock solid-- just like Consumer Reports says.

Read This Review Before Purchasing
By ColoradoJack on 04/05/09 09:08 AM (PDT)

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car brand new with 7 miles on it. My 2007 Kia Optima has went through four different automatic transmissions. Kia will refuse to fix their defective car until you threaten legal action and then all the sudden they agree to pop in yet another transmission. My head gasket has blown twice and the car leaks oil and transmission fluid. I'm afraid to turn the car off sometimes because I seriously wonder if the thing will blow up the next time because it's so poorly made.

BEWARE!! Don't buy a Kia Optima
By Bev on 03/31/09 20:52 PM (PDT)

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We purchased our Kia Optima 12/26/07, big mistake, not to long after we started having trouble. Started out with the trunk opening up either going down the road or while it was parked. Hesitation driving between 40 & 55, then the lifters started making noise. Cruise control came on for no reason, & the list goes on. We took it to the dealer many times & they just told us that they couldn't duplicate the problem so nothing was wrong with it. We finally took it to a certified mechanic & found the problem in a couple of hours, that the service department where we bought the car didn't/wouldn't find. Resale value is in the dump. It's not worth the money.

Piece of garbage
By Lane on 03/24/09 21:23 PM (PDT)

2007 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned seven cars in my life and my Kia Optima is by far the worst car I have ever owned. I am on my third automatic transmission. Looking at the other reviews my engine will likely die soon. Please avoid this car, it's awful. Hyundai told me I did not service the vehicle at the dealership and they refused to replace the transmission the third time. I was on the hook for a rebuilt tranny which was over $2,500.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.