Used 2006 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

2006 Kia Optima

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Good while under warranty but doesn't hold up
By steve may

2006 Kia Optima New EX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

We bought one of these new and it turned out to be a shop car. After 8 yrs, I had a phone book thick folder of invoices. True, while the bumper to bumper warranty was in place, most things were covered. Afterwards, this quickly became an expensive car so we got rid of it.

Sorry, Kia simply is not up there with the Japanese yet.

The V6 is quiet but relatively gutless and at 2.7L and 185 hp a waste of gas and money. Unfortunately our trim did not come in a 4 cyl.

For being older, it is hanging in there well
By Greg

2006 Kia Optima New LX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

For the price, it has been a good car. I had to replace an intake manifold sensor a couple months ago, but that wasn't too expensive. This car has had problems with the transmission in its history. The torque converter had to be replaced.

On a positive note, I have all the original suspension at 148,000k. Wisconsin winters (read: salty/slushy crap) are rough on the undersides of cars, but it is doing really good. The only thing that is rusted out is the parking brake, and I got all new parts for that for pretty cheap to rebuild it myself.

ehh
By zoom_zoom89

2006 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

best car ive personally owned, but have had to put $1500 in the past 4months, not counting reg maintenance. NOT cheap parts like i had expected, will be searching for a honda next time.

Ride is smooth and relaxing

Make parts cheaper cost or more reliable

Never getting a KIA again
By never_a_kia

2006 Kia Optima New EX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I will never own a KIA again.
I had to get the AC replaced 2 months after getting it new off the lot took them 4 weeks.
I have also had to replace the sun visors 3 times on each side.

The visors are only replaced in the first 50K, and I am not going to pay $130.00 for the visor now.
Even the dealer says they see them all the time with velcro, tape, and one person stapled them up.

The computer says that I am getting 29MPG but I have NEVER gotten it that good.
I keep up the maintenance and when I run the numbers while filling up I am getting 19 to 20MPG.

I will not even get into how you can't set the castor and camber on the front end. If you are cutting tires you can't fix it.

It was cheap when I bought it, and it's paid for. It has a good radio.

Fix the visors, teach the computer how to do math. Allow a mechanic to set the caster and camber on the front end. Anti-lock breaks would have been nice. Biggest suggesting I have, is to buy something besides a KIA.

Wheel alignment
By luigi54c

2006 Kia Optima New LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Ever since I took this car out of the dealership, new in 2006, it had problems pulling to the right. I took it back 3 times to the dealer and they could not fix it. At times they used the values of the 2004 model. I have taken it to other alignment shops, and the alignment problem never got good. It pulls to the right. Yesterday i was changing the oil filter and I noticed 3 shims 1/16" thick on one side of the frame. It looks like the frame is the problem, it was never straight.