THE SMILING COBRA
By alantalbot on
2005 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)
I bought it used from Enterprise Cars in Jan 2007, it had 40K miles on it then. Had it for almost exactly 5 years. In that span of time, nothing really ever went wrong with it. It drove great. I did all the required maintenance on it. Timing belt was done at 75K. After about 4 years, gas mileage started to decline. Took it in for fuel system cleaning and a few other things. Suddenly, with no warning, there was an engine malfunction. It wasn't even overheating or making noise, but it was permanently damaged. I said goodbye to it was it was taken away to the junkyard, got 600 bucks for it. I was told by others that altho Kia is kinda cheaply made, that they'll run forever. What a lie.
Favorite Features
Smooth drive, gas mileage pretty good. I was totally satisfied with it until the very very end. During the time I was paying it off (this would've been between 40-60K miles), the only major things I had to do were the brakes, a couple headlights, and I replaced the ultra-cheap tires and wheel covers. Not the most attractive car on the road but I care more about quality than I do about appearance of car.
Suggested Improvements
Kias are cheaply made cars. Reports have said that the ones prior to 2003-2004 were downright bad but the 2004s and later models have "come a very long way." I don't think that's true, otherwise mine wouldn't have perished at 79K. Very disappointed. I was not the original owner so I don't think I'm entitled to warranty. This car was suggested to me because it had great crash test results, that if I was ever in an accident, this car would not let me die. Interior was ultra cheap fabric seats, the sun visors broke and were expensive to replace, tons of plastic on this car. I'll never buy another one. Hardly anyone in California drives a Kia, and if they do, it's an SUV, not a sedan.
By soyeahiknow
on 05/23/12 21:11 PM (PDT)

You said the engine went after "Took it in for fuel system cleaning and a few other things." I am pretty sure that is the reason your engine went. Did you do one of those "fuel system flushes" that are always being advertised? Most likely, those flushes stirred up old contaminants and rust in your fuel lines and it ended up clogging into the filters and engines. After you do a flush of some sort, you have to always change the filters!!! Other wise, the engine will literally starve to death and overheat and basically blow up.