Used 2005 Kia Optima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 67 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Kia Optima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Worth the money !
By Kristen

2005 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Car got to 210,000 miles and the timing chain broke . No complaints at all, never had any other problems at ! Headlights needs replacing quick but that's my only complaint & that's a cheap fix . I'm gonna miss mine dearly !

Not Worth it
By john miller

2005 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Told it was bought brand new '07, one previous owner for 1-2 yrs. & sat at Used dealership since. My mother bought '13 immediately w/o test driving for $1400; Fuses & electrical problems! RPMs didn't work, many lvls not shown (i.e. battery). lights point to ground, adjs don't help. not even 1-2 days, cuts out w/ oil leaks. had to change freeze plugs. 1-2 month later, overheats; payed $1500 to change thermostat, hoses, sensors, there was actually cracks in radiator & exploded coolant everywhere, cost another $1500. everything requires proprietary tools; can't take off door panel to put windows back on track. spark plugs only thing easy to change! Pass. door doesn't lock/unlock and open.

Small but a lot of room. big trunk space. cup holders in back. extensions to sun-blockers. switch between automatic to manual. Airbags definitely work but very sensitive! (at least mine were). My absolute favorite feature: Defrost button operates passenger mirror v.v

[non-permissible content removed]

Fun & Easy to Drive
By happywheels

2005 Kia Optima Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Kia EX brand new in 2005. It's
now 2014 and she's still running great & looks wonderful. The leather interior has done extremely well and there has only been one minor switch that was fixed ... other than that she's be completely problem free. Only trading her since we need a larger vehicle; otherwise, I'd keep her for another 9 years!

Great purchase! We actually purchase another Optima in 2011 and it's doing great also. The larger vehicle will also be a Kia. Great cars.

Leather Sunroof Easy to Drive Good size trunk

Not much actually ...

Excellent car!
By prodigit

2005 Kia Optima Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it in 2012, second hand, for $3000. Can't complain. A little low on MPG though...
Very luxurious, but after 50k miles starts to have lots of issues.

Luxurious design, comfort, soft/smooth ride, silent, floats over the road, soft suspension, good powerful and low in vibration motor, automatic/manual transmission; Disc brakes

Bad quality radio and (papercone) speakers, manual part of the transmission can get wrecked when accidentally upshifting 2 gears, automatic transmission can't handle neutral to gear when rolling very well, gas guzzler, rubber blocks upon which the motor rests wear out fast, and are expensive, seats are too wide. Paint chips off when washing with a high pressure washer, or even with a garden hose, both on the rims and on the gas cap.

THE SMILING COBRA
By alantalbot

2005 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought it used from Enterprise Cars in Jan 2007, it had 40K miles on it then.
Had it for almost exactly 5 years. In that span of time, nothing really ever went wrong with it.
It drove great. I did all the required maintenance on it.
Timing belt was done at 75K. After about 4 years, gas mileage started to decline.
Took it in for fuel system cleaning and a few other things.
Suddenly, with no warning, there was an engine malfunction.
It wasn't even overheating or making noise, but it was permanently damaged. I said goodbye to it was it was taken away to the junkyard, got 600 bucks for it.
I was told by others that altho Kia is kinda cheaply made, that they'll run forever. What a lie.

Smooth drive, gas mileage pretty good. I was totally satisfied with it until the very very end. During the time I was paying it off (this would've been between 40-60K miles), the only major things I had to do were the brakes, a couple headlights, and I replaced the ultra-cheap tires and wheel covers. Not the most attractive car on the road but I care more about quality than I do about appearance of car.

Kias are cheaply made cars. Reports have said that the ones prior to 2003-2004 were downright bad but the 2004s and later models have "come a very long way." I don't think that's true, otherwise mine wouldn't have perished at 79K. Very disappointed. I was not the original owner so I don't think I'm entitled to warranty. This car was suggested to me because it had great crash test results, that if I was ever in an accident, this car would not let me die. Interior was ultra cheap fabric seats, the sun visors broke and were expensive to replace, tons of plastic on this car. I'll never buy another one. Hardly anyone in California drives a Kia, and if they do, it's an SUV, not a sedan.