2005 Kia Optima LX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

2005 Optima Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Sort Reviews by

Not Worth it
By john miller

2005 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Told it was bought brand new '07, one previous owner for 1-2 yrs. & sat at Used dealership since. My mother bought '13 immediately w/o test driving for $1400; Fuses & electrical problems! RPMs didn't work, many lvls not shown (i.e. battery). lights point to ground, adjs don't help. not even 1-2 days, cuts out w/ oil leaks. had to change freeze plugs. 1-2 month later, overheats; payed $1500 to change thermostat, hoses, sensors, there was actually cracks in radiator & exploded coolant everywhere, cost another $1500. everything requires proprietary tools; can't take off door panel to put windows back on track. spark plugs only thing easy to change! Pass. door doesn't lock/unlock and open.

Favorite Features

Small but a lot of room. big trunk space. cup holders in back. extensions to sun-blockers. switch between automatic to manual. Airbags definitely work but very sensitive! (at least mine were). My absolute favorite feature: Defrost button operates passenger mirror v.v

Suggested Improvements

[non-permissible content removed]

Fun & Easy to Drive
By happywheels

2005 Kia Optima Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Kia EX brand new in 2005. It's now 2014 and she's still running great & looks wonderful. The leather interior has done extremely well and there has only been one minor switch that was fixed ... other than that she's be completely problem free. Only trading her since we need a larger vehicle; otherwise, I'd keep her for another 9 years! Great purchase! We actually purchase another Optima in 2011 and it's doing great also. The larger vehicle will also be a Kia. Great cars.

Favorite Features

Leather Sunroof Easy to Drive Good size trunk

Suggested Improvements

Not much actually ...

Excellent car!
By prodigit

2005 Kia Optima Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it in 2012, second hand, for $3000. Can't complain. A little low on MPG though... Very luxurious, but after 50k miles starts to have lots of issues.

Favorite Features

Luxurious design, comfort, soft/smooth ride, silent, floats over the road, soft suspension, good powerful and low in vibration motor, automatic/manual transmission; Disc brakes

Suggested Improvements

Bad quality radio and (papercone) speakers, manual part of the transmission can get wrecked when accidentally upshifting 2 gears, automatic transmission can't handle neutral to gear when rolling very well, gas guzzler, rubber blocks upon which the motor rests wear out fast, and are expensive, seats are too wide. Paint chips off when washing with a high pressure washer, or even with a garden hose, both on the rims and on the gas cap.

THE SMILING COBRA
By alantalbot

2005 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought it used from Enterprise Cars in Jan 2007, it had 40K miles on it then. Had it for almost exactly 5 years. In that span of time, nothing really ever went wrong with it. It drove great. I did all the required maintenance on it. Timing belt was done at 75K. After about 4 years, gas mileage started to decline. Took it in for fuel system cleaning and a few other things. Suddenly, with no warning, there was an engine malfunction. It wasn't even overheating or making noise, but it was permanently damaged. I said goodbye to it was it was taken away to the junkyard, got 600 bucks for it. I was told by others that altho Kia is kinda cheaply made, that they'll run forever. What a lie.

Favorite Features

Smooth drive, gas mileage pretty good. I was totally satisfied with it until the very very end. During the time I was paying it off (this would've been between 40-60K miles), the only major things I had to do were the brakes, a couple headlights, and I replaced the ultra-cheap tires and wheel covers. Not the most attractive car on the road but I care more about quality than I do about appearance of car.

Suggested Improvements

Kias are cheaply made cars. Reports have said that the ones prior to 2003-2004 were downright bad but the 2004s and later models have "come a very long way." I don't think that's true, otherwise mine wouldn't have perished at 79K. Very disappointed. I was not the original owner so I don't think I'm entitled to warranty. This car was suggested to me because it had great crash test results, that if I was ever in an accident, this car would not let me die. Interior was ultra cheap fabric seats, the sun visors broke and were expensive to replace, tons of plastic on this car. I'll never buy another one. Hardly anyone in California drives a Kia, and if they do, it's an SUV, not a sedan.

piece of &%$#......
By joel29m

2005 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

ive been getting work done on this car since the first year we had it! problems: 2 batteries, timing belt, condenser, lights, 3 thermostats, motor mounts, valve cover gasket leaks, oem car stereo, air bag, tension pully, and rear seatbelt. bought it in 2005, and getting rid of asap!!! got into it with the dealer about the warranty, and it only has 89,000 miles and had more ##@# done to it than my 91 corolla by 80%!!!!

Favorite Features

interior dash, and taillights, and thats it.

Suggested Improvements

close the entire company down............

Front doors will not open
By carrie748

2005 Kia Optima Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My Kia's doors started locking and unlocking by themselves while I was driving. I am currently unable to open either one of my front doors and have to climb over the back seat of my car. Research as shown that this is a commen defect of the car. Beware before buying becasue Kia will not fix this issue. It is a serious safety concern. And very costly. I wouldn't recommend buying this if you are looking for a safe car because sooner or later your doors are likely to lock up on you also.

Favorite Features

None at this time.

Suggested Improvements

I would LOVE to be able to enter and exit my car through the front doors.

More and better than expectation
By AstroBike

2005 Kia Optima Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've bought 2005 Kia Optima EX V6 from a private seller as a used car for my high school son. This is a hidden jewel! Fast, tight, luxurious, reliable, etc. I'm more than 100% satisfied with this car. I think that Kia (and Hyundai) is under estimated than its real value. It's good factor to consumers though.

Favorite Features

Smooth engine, sportronic gear, comfort, reliable, moon roof, Infinity audio, automatic air quality control system, etc.

Suggested Improvements

None so far.

Great solid car
By Rhonda

2005 Kia Optima Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for 4 yrs now. Bought it used with 20,000 miles on it, now has 130,000+. Only money I have spent on the car is oil changes and tires (still haven't tuned it up), oh yeah and like many others, lots of headlights. Just 3 weeks ago though my speedometer went out. No idea how much that is going to cost me to repair. I have taken the car on many across the country road trips with no problems. Love the car except the annoying headlight issue, what is up with that anyway?

Favorite Features

Good solid car with lots of room, looks great too. I get a lot of compliments and many people are surprised it is a Kia.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the headlight issue, better gas mileage.

Under-estimated Jewel
By AstroBike

2005 Kia Optima Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've bought 2005 Kia Optima EX V6 from a private person as a used car in August 28, 2010. It's in excellent condition with low mileage (only 53k miles). Frankly, I didn't expect any excellencies from it before driving, but I've been changed totally about Kia and Optima. It's a fantastic sedan I've ever driven. It's Powerful, comfort, quiet, fast, luxurious, roomy, sporty exterior design (better than latest model), etc. I'm really enjoying the driving of this jewel.

Favorite Features

Sportronics automatic shift, Infiniti audio system, sliding moon roof, automatic air quality control system, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control on/off button should be on steering wheel.

I love my Kia!
By melly07

2005 Kia Optima Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my car used with 84,000 miles on it, it's been a great car, currently we have to replace the blower resistor in the a/c but warranty is covering it. This car has plenty of power and handles very well.

Favorite Features

Sunroof,front cup holders, fog lights

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage.