Used 2005 Kia Optima LX Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

2005 Kia Optima

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Not Worth it
By john miller

2005 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Told it was bought brand new '07, one previous owner for 1-2 yrs. & sat at Used dealership since. My mother bought '13 immediately w/o test driving for $1400; Fuses & electrical problems! RPMs didn't work, many lvls not shown (i.e. battery). lights point to ground, adjs don't help. not even 1-2 days, cuts out w/ oil leaks. had to change freeze plugs. 1-2 month later, overheats; payed $1500 to change thermostat, hoses, sensors, there was actually cracks in radiator & exploded coolant everywhere, cost another $1500. everything requires proprietary tools; can't take off door panel to put windows back on track. spark plugs only thing easy to change! Pass. door doesn't lock/unlock and open.

Small but a lot of room. big trunk space. cup holders in back. extensions to sun-blockers. switch between automatic to manual. Airbags definitely work but very sensitive! (at least mine were). My absolute favorite feature: Defrost button operates passenger mirror v.v

[non-permissible content removed]

THE SMILING COBRA
By alantalbot

2005 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought it used from Enterprise Cars in Jan 2007, it had 40K miles on it then.
Had it for almost exactly 5 years. In that span of time, nothing really ever went wrong with it.
It drove great. I did all the required maintenance on it.
Timing belt was done at 75K. After about 4 years, gas mileage started to decline.
Took it in for fuel system cleaning and a few other things.
Suddenly, with no warning, there was an engine malfunction.
It wasn't even overheating or making noise, but it was permanently damaged. I said goodbye to it was it was taken away to the junkyard, got 600 bucks for it.
I was told by others that altho Kia is kinda cheaply made, that they'll run forever. What a lie.

Smooth drive, gas mileage pretty good. I was totally satisfied with it until the very very end. During the time I was paying it off (this would've been between 40-60K miles), the only major things I had to do were the brakes, a couple headlights, and I replaced the ultra-cheap tires and wheel covers. Not the most attractive car on the road but I care more about quality than I do about appearance of car.

Kias are cheaply made cars. Reports have said that the ones prior to 2003-2004 were downright bad but the 2004s and later models have "come a very long way." I don't think that's true, otherwise mine wouldn't have perished at 79K. Very disappointed. I was not the original owner so I don't think I'm entitled to warranty. This car was suggested to me because it had great crash test results, that if I was ever in an accident, this car would not let me die. Interior was ultra cheap fabric seats, the sun visors broke and were expensive to replace, tons of plastic on this car. I'll never buy another one. Hardly anyone in California drives a Kia, and if they do, it's an SUV, not a sedan.

piece of &%$#......
By joel29m

2005 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

ive been getting work done on this car since the first year we had it! problems: 2 batteries, timing belt, condenser, lights, 3 thermostats, motor mounts, valve cover gasket leaks, oem car stereo, air bag, tension pully, and rear seatbelt. bought it in 2005, and getting rid of asap!!! got into it with the dealer about the warranty, and it only has 89,000 miles and had more ##@# done to it than my 91 corolla by 80%!!!!

interior dash, and taillights, and thats it.

close the entire company down............

Kia Optima ALi
By ASyed

2005 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car 3 years ago and i haven't had any problems. I haven't really been maintaining this car as should but it doesn't bother me at all. very reliable. this car is definitely undervalued. should compete with Honda or Camry.

Drives great. very roomy

gas mileage

Dependable Car
By SafetyFirst

2005 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2005 Kia Optima from a friend in June 2007 and it had almost 30k miles on it. I was in school and couldn't afford to get the 30k scheduled tune-up (shame on me). I did get regular oil changes and tire rotations. Only once did the car need to go to the shop and the problem was an accelerator sensor that was covered by the warranty. I never broke down in this car during the three years/45k miles I put on it. I believe the gas mileage to be great and the car felt solid. I just recently traded it in with 72k miles on it and bought a 2009 Kia Optima with 12K. I purchased a second Kia because I was so impressed with the reliability.

Reliable, dependable, great car for student/family.

Very difficult for my 5 yr old son to buckle the safety belt. This problem has been fixed in the 2009 Optima.