2005 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
THE SMILING COBRA
By alantalbot on 02/18/12 19:04 PM (PST)

2005 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought it used from Enterprise Cars in Jan 2007, it had 40K miles on it then. Had it for almost exactly 5 years. In that span of time, nothing really ever went wrong with it. It drove great. I did all the required maintenance on it. Timing belt was done at 75K. After about 4 years, gas mileage started to decline. Took it in for fuel system cleaning and a few other things. Suddenly, with no warning, there was an engine malfunction. It wasn't even overheating or making noise, but it was permanently damaged. I said goodbye to it was it was taken away to the junkyard, got 600 bucks for it. I was told by others that altho Kia is kinda cheaply made, that they'll run forever. What a lie.

piece of &%$#......
By joel29m on 10/18/11 18:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

ive been getting work done on this car since the first year we had it! problems: 2 batteries, timing belt, condenser, lights, 3 thermostats, motor mounts, valve cover gasket leaks, oem car stereo, air bag, tension pully, and rear seatbelt. bought it in 2005, and getting rid of asap!!! got into it with the dealer about the warranty, and it only has 89,000 miles and had more ##@# done to it than my 91 corolla by 80%!!!!

Kia Optima ALi
By ASyed on 05/03/10 17:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car 3 years ago and i haven't had any problems. I haven't really been maintaining this car as should but it doesn't bother me at all. very reliable. this car is definitely undervalued. should compete with Honda or Camry.

Dependable Car
By SafetyFirst on 04/17/10 11:46 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2005 Kia Optima from a friend in June 2007 and it had almost 30k miles on it. I was in school and couldn't afford to get the 30k scheduled tune-up (shame on me). I did get regular oil changes and tire rotations. Only once did the car need to go to the shop and the problem was an accelerator sensor that was covered by the warranty. I never broke down in this car during the three years/45k miles I put on it. I believe the gas mileage to be great and the car felt solid. I just recently traded it in with 72k miles on it and bought a 2009 Kia Optima with 12K. I purchased a second Kia because I was so impressed with the reliability.

Don't get hit!
By Brad Zimmerman on 01/30/06 23:16 PM (PST)

2005 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Overall, car was good looking and fun to drive. Lots of pick up for a 4 cylinder. Comfortable on long trips with ok mileage (29 hwy). 2 days after I got it, battery was dead - faulty alternator was replaced. Then, battery failed. After that, the car was trouble free. Then, I was rear ended by an SUV at about 20 miles an hour. My car was pushed into the car ahead of me. This low speed collision caused $17,000+ damage to the Optima, totaling it. My 8 month old car with 6500 miles on it was totaled with this small wreck! The body shop said repair parts for Kia's are overpriced and hard to get, sometimes requiring a long wait for the parts. The car did protect me as I wasn't hurt.

My Optima
By SmartShopperAZ on 11/18/05 00:49 AM (PST)

2005 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this Optima because of the price and Kia's past good performance for us. It is very roomy in the back with leg room. My husband is tall and I am only 5'2" so the seat choices are key. The "toys" are GREAT! Power that this auto has is amazing, and we get a better fuel usage on the Optima than we do on his Rio.

Love This Car
By jafarmer1 on 07/30/05 16:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first Kia, and it won't be my last! I just drove to Georgia, and I couldn't have asked for more from my Optima, I can't wait for my next trip. The gas mileage was awesome, and it handled beautifully.

Solid Mid-Size family car
By cwilloughby4 on 07/08/05 03:48 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Our 2005 Kia Optmia is a pleasure to drive and a great car for the value. The more you drive it the more you like it. It's proving to be a car for our young family. It gives us a nice highway ride on long trips although the steering is alittle vague.

best buy for your money
By roger roberts on 05/28/05 09:46 AM (PDT)

2005 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My 2003 Kia Optima 4 cyl has more power than you need, great on hills, 28 mpg hwy, 23 mpg city, car is very quiet, ride is great, great sound system, only bad feature is, must change timing belt at 60k mi. but this is recomended for many other cars to. Just drove car to Fl and back to Roanoke, Va. Service has been great, I would put thiis car up against any car in th USA. I will buy another used Kia. I wish that Kia would build a car that would tow a small travel trailer.

Best kept secret
By Mike Muckenfuss on 03/05/05 07:29 AM (PST)

2005 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The Kia Optima is one of the best cars out there if given the chance. My wife has a 2003 LX-V6 and i have a LX 4cyl BEST price, BEST warranty BEST all around car. Look forward to my next Optima purchase.