2004 Kia Optima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
This is a no go!
By TJ on 09/06/08 21:59 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this 2004 4 banger in 2007 with 33,000 miles. I expect problems (serious) around what? 100K at the lowest. coil pack went out at 55,000. Gas filter something out at 63,000. Ok those are small things. But here's the big thing. I have only 74,000 miles on it and the engine roars at you like the tranny is going. I depend on this car. I need a car. I still owe 6100 on it and it is about to flop out on me i can tell that tranny is going! This car really sucks. I treated it well. Put lots of miles on it quickly, but drove it slow never raced it and still it causes to many problems and way to much stress! Way too Much

The headlamps
By The Captain on 08/21/08 12:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The 2004 Optima has an issue with the headlamp lenses. It is sort of a cataract on the lens itself. After a while you will not pass an inspection As I found out and too late they refused to warranty this item since it is there problem, the dealer strung me along to come back and replaced light bulbs. SO that I would have to pay for new lamps Check your Kias and get it done before the warranty is out. I Like the Kia , but do to the poor quality of service networks I will trade for a better brand name next time.

2004 Kia Optima LX
By Problems on 08/07/08 14:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car used with 59K miles. I now have 63K miles and have already had to replace the power steering hose ($200 +) and now the power door locks are messed up and literally lock me in the car. I have had to climb out the window, this might be ok if I were Bo Duke. It does have a smooth ride. Sometimes when I first start the car it will stall or take a second to get going, sorta like it's not getting gas. The car looks pretty but looks can be deceiving. Don't buy. Run away.

The optima is a race machine
By Jamie on 06/13/08 19:38 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

It is a awesome car, but minor problems are going wrong. I commute 65 miles a day. great gas mileage nice and comfortable. The only problem is , is that my trunk latch broke the other day. Now today my front door on the drivers side wouldn't open from the inside and out. It is a fixable problem. The only thing is I look like a retard going in and out of my car just to drive. I now have a paranoia that the other door will go. Or that my key will break!!!

My Kiallac
By L Leal on 06/09/08 15:36 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Optima Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car it still gets good mileage and as far as road trips even my over 6ft tall basketball players don't complain about the ride or the squeeze. They laugh cause I call it my KIA-LLAC. Ride is smooth as any caddy just not as expensive. I found if you keep up your service the car will be good to you......

Kia owner for life
By David Hatch on 06/03/08 15:38 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the second Kia I've purchased - first was an '02 Sedona EX that has been so solid, my ex-wife fought for (and got it) in the divorce. I paid around 12K brand new as an '04 left over and have had very few problems. So far after 80K miles all I've done is oil changes, new brake pads, and two new tires (one a side wall puncture). Have not had to used the warranty on this one, but had to in the past on the Sedona (power window, rear wiper motor) and had no hassles in invoking the warranty. Great commuter car that also offers pleanty of interior room. My next car will also be a Kia, but by the way this one's going, that doesn't look like I'll be getting a new one for a while!

I'm a KIA lover now!
By Tess68 on 05/31/08 11:09 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My car just hit 68,000, besides a few dings (by others!) I have had no problems, just the rotors replaced. This has been a dependable family car, I drive 20 miles to work everyday through snow, ice, rain, and nice days without a problem. I am a very nervous person on the road in the Winter and this car has been great to me! Starting to make some rattles, and steering shake, I am praying this won't be a problem. I hear after 40-50,000 KIA'S are having problems. Anybody out there have any as of yet with this year?

WOW
By dntfeartareaper on 04/03/08 16:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 9,000 miles on it. Great car for the price. This four cylinder moves, I've beat Camaros, v6 Cavaliers an Accord and a Volvo. I now have 40,000 miles on it and it's still going very strong. All that's been done to it since I've had it is that I put on a k&n filter, got a trans flush and oil changes. Sound system was good but I upgraded it. Design is awesome. Great car for college students or anyone for that matter

it ok
By Terri on 03/23/08 09:53 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Optima Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

seem to me I steering to the right a lot on this car. Maybe caused it have Low performances tires. Also the road noise is bad ain't a really big fan of that.

Good Value
By Ant on 01/22/08 19:22 PM (PST)

2004 Kia Optima Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I didn't think that Kia would have a good car, but the Optima proved me wrong on the test drive. My 04 V6 has a good amount of power and the style of it makes it look like it might have cost a lot.