2004 Kia Optima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
It stinks
By sjspiva on 05/20/10 08:30 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had trouble out of it ever since the belt broke, left me strand on the side of road with out warning. I had no power on the car, shut down everything. Broke the motor support now the power steering is messed up. The mess up rack and pinon ad to clean out hold system and do for wheel alignment and this leaves me without a vehicle and 661.00 in debt on disability I think it stinks oh yeah buy a Kia

Very Reliable, Fun to Drive Car
By sdanie18 on 04/21/10 19:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Optima Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I was hesitant about buying a Kia, I had originally wanted an Accord but I needed a more affordable car. I have to say this car has changed my opinion of Kia - it's been very reliable in the nearly 2 years I have owned it. I purchased the car with 56K and now have nearly 78K on the odometer. I consider this car a lot of fun to drive because my previous car was a 1994 Buick Century! I think if you keep up to date with maintenance (and don't get stuck with a lemon like some people on here must have) then you will have a great car on your hands.

beware of 04 optima
By mike fletchinger on 04/13/10 19:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this optima in 2006 with about 22,000 miles. A friend, a kia service tech, said I would love this car. When used, the warranty only goes to 60,000 miles. After about 61,000 the air bag light came on, the cruise control and speedometer sometimes don't work and the transmission has gotten really rough especially in cold weather and on these cold spring mornings. It will have to be replaced. What started out to be a pleasure has started to become a nightmare.

Great Little Car
By Leila on 04/13/10 09:15 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Optima Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in 2004. Aside from a CV axle issue starting around 50K miles, I have had no problems. I have bought tires, replaced the front brakes and done routine maintenance and that's it! She just rolled over 140,000 miles this past weekend and we're still rocking along. I'm looking forward to my next purchase: the 2011 Sorento.

2004 Kia Optima Great Car
By Cptterry on 03/29/10 15:36 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car new! Have had no major problems at all. Key to any car performing to your expectations..... Maintenance, follow the schedule. I have replaced tires once at 60 K along with timing belt with required maintenance. Oil and filter EVERY 3,000 miles. 2 head lamp builds an 1 set of brake pads ( Front ) I will buy another Kia again! I worked for a GM dealer for 21 years .. thought we built great cars..... NOT!

Horrible!
By Angela on 03/24/10 12:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Worst car i have EVER had. My 95' sat urn was better than this w/ 160,000 miles! My grandfather bought me a 2004 Kia Optima LX in June of 2006 for my graduation present. I LOVED the car when i first got it. Now i HATE it. I have to change out my headlights at least once or twice every three months. The belts on this car always break. The hoses don't last long AT ALL. My struts are always needing replaced. I always keep up on the maintenance on this car.. but it seems like i have spent MORE on this car for repairs than what my grandfather bought it for. I will NEVER EVER own another kia in my entire life. Stay away from these cares.They are crap!

2004 kia optima lx v6!!!!
By AHartman90 on 03/03/10 13:18 PM (PST)

2004 Kia Optima Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I got my kia in April 2009 I have had no problems with it so far it is a realy Nice car I put a high flow intake and a cherry bomb in it and it gave me a little better performance... The head lights keep going out but thats it with problems. I didn't like kias befor I got this on I have about 180-185 and 140-145 foot lbs of torque! I highly recommend the 2004 kia optima for anyone!

Stylish but electrical night mare
By Happy but nervous.. on 02/23/10 08:52 AM (PST)

2004 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car at a reasonable price. The Interior and Exterior are both in great condition and I love the way it rides and all the bells and whistles. BUT, the power locks LOCKED ME IN MY CAR!!!! I can't lock the doors with the switch inside I must ride with the car unlocked. Not a good selling point. Otherwise I love it but who wants to climb out of the passanger side????? This is a major issue that I'm hoping won't cost very much to fix.! KIA please note this problem so future owners won't go through this not to mention how dangerous being locked in your car COULD BE!

optima reiview
By kia opt on 02/05/10 08:37 AM (PST)

2004 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

A good car overall and bang for you buck. I had some minor issues which the dealer took care and did not had to pay. The car has been very reliable however do notice a jurk from trans once in a while if I don't change the trans oil every year. Expensive to maintian the car because of parts and labour is costly. The handling is decent but the tires could have been bigger. Ride quality is excellent and comfy. The v6 engine is outstanding when exceling. Interior built quality could be more durable. But I am not complaining as I have 125K miles and the car is going strong.

Reliable Kia Optima LX sedan 4cyl(1.8L)
By 1st Time Kia on 01/26/10 21:54 PM (PST)

2004 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

purchased in '05 w/approx. 11k mi. Driven to Den.,CO & back. Not alot of torque for hills,but nice speed. Man/Auto Trans(nice for accel). Pwr steering defective twice. just hit 97k mi. needed Timing belt. Doesn't brake good on quick stop;will slide. Quarter panel dents easy a little. Paint around doorkey fades & driver doorlock played out in the rain 3 days ago. No real complaints. Has good features(pwr lock,cd,compartment/storage,cruise, starter safety(kill)switch,trunk square (space). Takes about $60 to fill @$3 p/gal. OK mileage. Maintain w/svc every 3k mi. & no problem. Oh,it jus start shaking, maybe coil- pack/misfire. Jus fixed timing,hope shop did its job & check for underlying cause!