Used 2004 Kia Optima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 156 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Kia Optima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2004 Kia Optima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Great reliable car, awesome gas mileage, low maint
By Carrie

2004 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a 2004 used Kia Optima LX 4cy, front wheel drive, back in 2006 or 2007. It had 47k miles on it. This car was bought from a reputable dealership, one owner, and the cost was about $10,000 dollars. It had air conditioning, powered windows and locks, cd player and radio, powered mirrors, and rear folding seats, with a console to pull down in the back for 2 cup holders. And 2 cup holders in the front. It was awesome on gas. Very reliable (if you take good care of it). Change your belts and pulleys when needed or at 60,000 miles! You have 2 belts. One for power steering and ac and the other is something else. Since it is the sister car to Hyundai, the parts between the 2 are interchangeable. Only issue I had was electrical problems when I hit over 100,000 miles. But it was 10 or 11 years old when I got rid of it. Also, if there are heavy rains or big puddles, your belts will squeal, no harm though. Brakes are good. When it breaks down, might be a little more expensive to repair because it's not american, but you don't have to take it to a special dealership or anything to fix it. Plenty of places will fix them. CONS: During the winter it handles about as well as any front wheel drive, but it sits a little lower to the ground. Electrical issues I had at 100k miles was the horn blaring at random times, and radio being funny. My LX 4 cyl, didn't have heated or cooled seats, sunroof, gps, or blue tooth. But had cigarette outlet and outlet for gps or whatever. Not good for very tall people. My 6ft 7 ex husband had a hard time getting in and out, and leg room problems. It's a good car for short or shorter people. According to my husband at the time, he said it had a 15 or 20 gallon tank. I got about 25-32 mpg. Take good care of it and it will take good care of you. Only cars I will drive are chevy and Kia's.

Meh...just a basic car
By shannonm1

2004 Kia Optima Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This car is very reliable, but no fun.
The style is very bland inside and out, there is no power behind acceleration, the V6 guzzles gas like an SUV or truck would.
I owned a little 4 cylinder Hyundai Elantra before this car, and I really miss it.
I went from filling the gas tank every 2 weeks to filling it every week now.
This car is like a tank, heavy, safe, reliable, I would take it anywhere, but have no fun getting there.
I just don't like the way it handles.
I got this car with 75,000 miles on it, so I'm probably stuck with it for awhile.
It hasn't broken down on me yet.

Reliable.

Needs better mpg for sure, more storage space in front and back.

My first car
By ameagle177

2004 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car two years ago as my first car, i got it for 400 bucks all smashed up. i fixed it at 75k miles and ive had no problems at all except crank sensor and belt squeak. I drive it pretty rough, but i perform all needed routine maintenance. it now has 86k miles and has served me well.

its nice and simple to use and isnt very expensive to own, i put premium in it and i can get 400+ miles on a tank.

engine bay upgrades, everything is shoved together. wasnt easy to rebuild.

Kia Magentis 2004 Model
By alfybio

2004 Kia Optima Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have found this car great value for my almost meagre spend on it. The car starts effortlessly, almost before the ignition is turned, it's silent, and just purrs when running. In motion it is very stable, and appears to bounce when it hits a bump.

The stereo system is fabulous as the rich sound distributes evenly around the car's comfortable interior. I sometimes just sit in and play my favourite cds. I also love the smooth dashboard and the exciting lighting at night.

None really that is clear. Maybe increase the tyre size to give it greater balance and spread. It appears too low for the terrain that I currently drive it on in Africa.

Bad Car to purchase
By fireman33

2004 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have read alot of reviews on this car and some are good and some are bad. The ones that are good i hope it keeps going good for you. Well i have an 04 kia optima and I thought it was going to be a good car. I thought wrong , I have had nothing but problems with it since i got it. I have had it for a year and a half and bought it with 78k on it and now it has 99k on it. I have had the timing belt replaced along with the crank sensor, the cluthch has been replaced in it , 4 new tires put on it and thats because the control are was bent and it had to be replaced, it had had the fuel pump replace twice and the fuel pump assembly replace twice and its in the shop right now getting that done.

You better keep a check on the oil cause it seems to be going somewhere after a while after it has been changed. clear coat is coming off of it . i dont recommend any one buying these cars . im still paying on it and im going to try to figure out how to get rid of it.