Used 2003 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

2003 Kia Optima

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

If I could only have a do over...
By mamanichole

2003 Kia Optima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my KIA with only 3,000 miles on it in late 2004. It was great until I ran out of warranty time, once that happened the car started falling apart. The timing belt went at less than 70,000 miles causing me to replace the whole engine (in 2010). For the past 2 years the car has decided to cut down when I am driving. It spent 3 months in a KIA Dealership repair shop and they still do not know what is wrong with it. How can a KIA Repair shop not know how to fix its own cars? They now say I need to spend another $1200 just to see "If that is the real problem." I loved my car during the first 5 years, but I wish I could go back and traded it at 4 years.

Suggested Improvements

Train your

Life saver
By tpp16

2003 Kia Optima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My Kia was my first car after turning 16. I liked he car a lot and it was very practical as a first car. The thing I will remember most is that this car saved my life. I totaled it through a light pole and into the trees at about 70 mph. I made out without a scratch because of the incredible safety of this car. I had heard that Kia's has low crash test ratings but this car proved them wrong by saving my life.

Favorite Features

Front grill. Looks like a shark :)

Great car - couple small issues
By lowlow

2003 Kia Optima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I love my car. In the 7 years I have had it there has only been a few issues. The alternator went, but that was covered. Same with the switch for my power seat. My biggest issue is with the locks! Had it fixed when the car was 5 yrs old. covered. But now the same issue. When I go to open the door (passenger) all the doors will lock. Now the door will not open at all. The dealer want $360. Guess my passengers will have to crawl through the window for now. Over all I have spent $500 in 7 years other than brakes and tires. Still have the original battery even.

Worst Nightmare
By Disappointed

2003 Kia Optima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Everyone says foreign cars are better. I would say to them don't include kia in the mix. Brand new alternator twice in 14 months, had to replace just about everything on it so far and have only 76,000 miles on it. Sound system is horrible it skips like a cd player and the cd player hasn't worked since the first week i bought it. Alarm hasn't worked for 2 years it goes off whenever it wants to when its set. And the parts are so expensive its stupid! I would NEVER recommend a Kia to anyone stick to toyota or honda.

Favorite Features

The interior, slide shift, dimming rear view mirror

Suggested Improvements

The whole car!

Optima has been a good car
By wsm

2003 Kia Optima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our 2003 Optima just after getting married in 2003. We werent particularly looking for a Kia but due to the rebates Kia was giving at the time we settled on the Kia because it had superior options and a price we could afford. After 7 years of ownership we are ready to upgrade though and unfortunately wont be buying another Kia. Heres why: Cons: we paid 18000 for the car and today we can get about $3500 if we're lucky. Depreciation on this car is terrible. Belt squeals nonstop and dealers cant figure out problem. Always had transmission troubles that again dealer cant fix. Pros: Super reliable, fuel system problem at 30000 miles and door problem at 120000 but otherwise Reliable!

Favorite Features

Infinity Sound system is excellent, tinted rear view mirror, digital temperature control is very helpful, moon roof

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, resale value,