Used 2002 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

2002 Kia Optima

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

T.G.'s KIA
By T G

2002 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was looking for an affordable, reliable car that was larger than my Corolla and a bit more stylish,too. I found it in this Kia Optima. The only problem I've had in over 2 years was a broken driver's door latch. This was covered under Kia's warranty and fixed for free. No other complaints. Would definitely buy another Kia.

Favorite Features

Roomy, comfortable, reliable. I like placement of stereo, cup holders, even sunglasses holder. Good quality car.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel door release button on driver's door always gets knocked by driver's knee and opens unintentionally. Should be placed elsewhere.

Dangerous car
By walkstick

2002 Kia Optima LX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

As soon as I bought this car I started having electrical problems with the car. I would lose all lights, steering, brakes, and air bags for the vehicle. Kia was no help in finding the problem with my vehicle and I totaled the car in July 2005. The only good thing that saved my life was the seat belt installed in the car. There was a burning smell that came from the car and the dealership had a hard time duplicating the problem. They changed many items on my car but they were not sure they had fixed the problem and in some cases were scared to drive the vehicle themselves. Please report your car to the NHTSA if you have this problem so it can be fixed

Suggested Improvements

Kia is not reporting these problems to the NHTSA, so please do it yourself before you get hurt in your vehicle.

We love it
By Bill

2002 Kia Optima LX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new. Been to the dealer twice for warranty work, once for power window motors and once on emission recall. It's a 10 in our book. Only down side is that it does not hold its resale value well. But other than that is one sweet ride.

Favorite Features

The warranty and service

Suggested Improvements

Adjustable seat on passenger side.

IT IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY
By tina burke

2002 Kia Optima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

this car is has been a major problem and a hassle with repairs. first the timing belt then the sensors within the car. when a car is mostly a computer and the sensors aren't working and most repair shops know nothing about kias ...you are out of luck and money. better to pay a little more for a more dependable car

Favorite Features

the exterior is quite nice and the ride is comfortable when the car will run

SAFE CAR!
By Joshua

2002 Kia Optima LX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I can't speak much of my Kia Optima, I only owned it for less than a month. I will however be more likely to buy another though. I was involved in a severe front end collision. A large pick-up truck ran a stop sign on a country road giving me no time to even brake. I escaped the accident with only severe whiplash and back problems. The doctors said that it could have been so much worse. This is one safe car and I would recommend it to anyone. The whole front end of the car was gone and the roof buckled under the impact, however no part of the interior was altered or harmed me.

Favorite Features

Side-airbags, front airbags, safety system, V-6 engine, CD player and speakers.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable cloth seats, sunroof on LX, Manual with V-6, fog-lights, and a more transferable warranty would make me feel more comfortable about buying used.