2002 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
Awesome car
By PeterM on 07/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Optima LX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

had this car for over a year now, love the milage can go forever it seems with the gas light on. the only major problems i've had is the car lurches when i'm breaking sometimes and a sensor went out, had the sensor fixed but haven't had the breaks checked yet. plenty of room in front and back, i'm 6'3 so that says something. don't care for the stock radio, doesn't bring in AM channels well, could get Milwaukee stations in, in MI with my Focus, can't with the Kia

Outstanding car for the money
By Larry Hofmeister on 06/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this as a leftover 2002 model and have been absolutely delighted with the purchase. The car is comfortable, quiet, tight and just plain impressive for the money. This is the 3rd Kia I've owned and I'm still very pleased with value for the money.

Watch the Warranty
By zodda on 04/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I bought 2 new Kias after hearing about the great warranty. Our 2002 Optima now in the shop while we gather up the $1800 needed to repair clutch and flywheel for a warranted car! I know flywheel's are covered. As for the clutch, it's a wearable item, but who ever heard of a clutch burning out after 30K miles? With the worst driver, 30K miles for a clutch is totally unacceptable. Said burned clutch caused the failure of other parts (pressure plate, flywheel) No way I could have foreseen the clutch going in 2 years. Other things: door moulding fell off. Check engine light on and off, driver side window fixed twice. Tires are already wearing.

Optima
By plm on 03/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Optima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The only problem we had with our Optima was a passenger side window that would get stuck if you closed the door with the window open. After the second trip to the dealership this problem was solved. We also had concerns with the was the transmission shifts. We were told that since the car was a demo, that the electronic transmission never had a chance to "learn" the drivers' preferences. I would like a little more pick-up but other than that the car has been a great buy. I wish we had waited one more year to buy though. The 2003 has the Infinity stereo, a garage door opener, and auto dim rear view mirror, all standard.

2002 Kia
By JamesB on 12/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Optima SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Spoiler as trade for dealer miles, dealer recommended a good detail shop to tint the windows making the car look exceptionally sharp. I just spent a year in Korea where they use these cars as taxis (they drive the heck out of them) and every one I rode in was just as smooth as mine (engine, too). Only problem I have had was the bushing in the steering column where it transfers through the floorpan dried out causing the steering to groan as if low on power steering fluid. One trip to dealer identified and fixed problem by lubricating the joint. Overall excellent buy for the money and compared to other autos in same class.

My review
By BONZJONZ on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Optima LX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Coming from a 1990 Ford Ranger, the Optima is definitely a step up. The mileage is very good for the long trips that I have to take.

What a car!
By damitch on 09/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Optima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 97 Sephia and bought the Optima for the value you get in a Kia. I have been thoroughly pleased with the increase in styling and performance Kia has shown. The leather seats are very comfortable with both front seats powered. The engine is very adequate for a 4- cylinder. The overall sleek appearance, 15 inch wheels, and chrome accents have turned heads on the road. I would say the Optima is dollar for dollar the best you can buy.

Great Car
By 2 accidents on 06/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the base Optima just as a cheap commuting car. After $4,000 for a trade in that was worth $400, I bought a 5 speed LX for $12,500 and monthly payments of about $200. Not bad for a brand new car with a great warranty. However, since I bought it in Oct. 2002, I've been in two accidents. One was a hit and run and the other involved a guy slamming into me from behind and pushing me into another car. The Optima held up surprisingly well. The guy who hit me's Intrepid was undrivable while the only damage to my car was a dent in the back bumper! It has also been a pleasure to drive - when it's not in the body shop!

seeking college students
By optimagyrl on 06/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

At first when my uncle pointed out the car to me I was like ugh Kia? Not good cars. One thing that I love about this car is the warranty. 100,000 mile warranty! If you are a college student or on the run with a medium price range choose the Kia Optima. I have had no major problems and all Kia asks me when I have minor problems is the mileage. I work with service writers at different car lots and it just doesn't move that simply. Car could be a little less shakier at 90 m.p.h. (if you go that fast)I give Kia Optima a A-.

I'll get another
By sissy on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Optima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was recently in a car accident with my 7 month old car. The car held up very well, the air bags responded and the dash did not shift in or under. The car has not been rated as far as I know for front/side test ratings, but I would give it 5 stars. I was fortunate enough to live through it.