2002 Kia Optima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
Great Car
By zyllanes on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Kia Optima Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The Optima is a great car! I've had only minors problems (driver's side window does not open) but overall this car is very durable. Its V6 is powerful on the highway and can get you past other vehicles pretty quickly. It has a sporty feel to it and the steering is precise. The cabin is very spacious, making it comfortable on long road trips. Overall, you can't go wrong with this vehicle. The Kia Optima is a very solid car!

It gets the job done
By Convinced on 08/24/10 11:08 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2008 from a private party. It had 120,000 miles on it. I have put about 60,000 miles on it in 2 and a half years. In that time, I have had to replace the power steering pressure hose (upper) and power steering return hose (lower). I have had to replace the starter. I am not complaining as the car has over 180,000 miles on it now. It is still solid. The engine does not smoke. The AC still blows cold air. The biggest problem I forsee is that the transmission shifts erratically. It seems to slip a little in between gears. I am a backyard mechanic. If you work on your own KIA, go to kiatechinfo_dot_com, put in your car VIN and you can view repair manuals online.

pay less, get less
By scruff on 08/22/09 18:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for 3 years now, and cant wait for the moment I can get out of it! I spend about $1k in repairs a year on this car, and I'm not talking about routine maintenance. Speaking of that, it doesn't like to go more than 3k miles without an oil change. It needs to be babied. Its a comfortable car and a Nice look, but unreliable. Interior components falling apart/peeling/breaking. Wears tires out like no ones business, but thats due to the factory recall of a rusting sub frame! Hard to find someone that knows how to work on it too... Parts are never available and needs to be ordered. All in all, if you want a cheap car, go Hyundai, my brothers car has lasted way longer than mine

Awesome!
By Allen on 09/20/08 21:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Optima Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My aunt purchased this car new, and i have always wanted it. I got it and love it. My car has 154,000 miles on it with many more to come. NEVER has left me stranded, the only thing ever replaced is 02 Sensor which is normal to go out after 100,000 on any make or model car.

NO regrets
By BOW on 07/25/08 08:43 AM (PDT)

2002 Kia Optima Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used in '03. It had 27,000 miles on it and was a rental. Before the Kia I had a Mitsubishi Galant. I traded in @ 120,000 miles and 2 transmissions. The KIA is a very well made car, seats are very comfortable, very solid feeling for a mid-size and economical car. Have had no major issues and have 143,000 miles on it now. Even though I did not get the 100,000 mi warranty because I bought it used, no regrets. Would buy another. Think they are well made and a great value. Wish it had a sunroof though!

The Car that will surprise you
By Aaron on 07/08/06 20:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Kia Optima Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Just a note to those thinking of buying this car. I owned my KIA Optima for 4 years. I recently was rear ended by a full size truck traveling 40+ miles per hour, totaling my KIA. I was amazed at how it reacted. The rear completely crumpled leaving the passenger compartment intact. Even the police officer was shocked at how well it handled and that I was able to walk away. This car has been the safest, lowest cost of ownership, and most fun sedan I have owned. I never had any problems with my car, I put on 96,000 miles on it, and tearfully will have to say goodbye to it. I recommend this car to anyone looking. I am going to purchase the new KIA Optima this week. Enjoy!

2002 Optima
By Swinedog on 03/02/06 14:11 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Optima Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The car was very reasonably priced. I have had problems with the keyless entry. It was eventually repaired. It took the dealer 3 tries to fix it ... the manual provided by KIA was in error and referenced the wrong part number. The dealer was good and provided a loaner while they figured out the problem. I had attempted to replace a front turn signal ... it is not something easily done by a consumer. The transmission has always slipped ... it has been brought in on multiple occasions and they flash the onboard computer. The problem has never been completely resolved.

nick's view
By nick on 12/26/05 21:26 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Optima Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My wife has me drive everywhere we go. Even though it is her car! I am not able to take out on my own. We like to take drives around the area we live in, Northern California. With the v6, it gives me the power I need to pass all the vehicles going up hill with no problem. With the safety features, the way it handles --. it is what sold me on it. I have a son who is 10, and I want him safe.

Excellent value
By Owner on 12/25/05 22:38 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Optima Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought as a second car for wife, excellent value for money, Toyota reliability, only issues to be critical are certain interior material are level with price point. Others -- fit, finish, durability etc. are far above expected results. Definitely a contender for a repeat purchase. Great car!

'02 Kia Optima
By Chris Gallant on 12/02/05 15:47 PM (PST)

2002 Kia Optima Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Overall, I really like this car. It has good power and handles well. Comfort and design are good. I only wish the gas mileage was better, but I guess that is the price you pay for the power. Big trunk. Changing headlight bulbs is a pain, and my power mirrors went out.