Used 2002 Kia Optima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Kia Optima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Great Car
By zyllanes

2002 Kia Optima Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The Optima is a great car! I've had only minors problems (driver's side window does not open) but overall this car is very durable. Its V6 is powerful on the highway and can get you past other vehicles pretty quickly. It has a sporty feel to it and the steering is precise. The cabin is very spacious, making it comfortable on long road trips. Overall, you can't go wrong with this vehicle. The Kia Optima is a very solid car!

Steering, acceleration, comfort, exterior style.

Slightly mismatching interior materials on models with tan interior, gas mileage could be better, engine can be noisy when accelerating.

It gets the job done
By Convinced

2002 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2008 from a private party. It had 120,000 miles on it. I have put about 60,000 miles on it in 2 and a half years. In that time, I have had to replace the power steering pressure hose (upper) and power steering return hose (lower). I have had to replace the starter. I am not complaining as the car has over 180,000 miles on it now. It is still solid. The engine does not smoke. The AC still blows cold air. The biggest problem I forsee is that the transmission shifts erratically. It seems to slip a little in between gears. I am a backyard mechanic. If you work on your own KIA, go to kiatechinfo_dot_com, put in your car VIN and you can view repair manuals online.

Adequate and very cold A/C.

The paint has worn more quickly than I expected. I have a car from 1994 with original paint (Saturn) which has a better finish than my KIA. I suspect quality issues at the factory in this model year.

pay less, get less
By scruff

2002 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for 3 years now, and cant wait for the moment I can get out of it! I spend about $1k in repairs a year on this car, and I'm not talking about routine maintenance. Speaking of that, it doesn't like to go more than 3k miles without an oil change. It needs to be babied. Its a comfortable car and a Nice look, but unreliable. Interior components falling apart/peeling/breaking. Wears tires out like no ones business, but thats due to the factory recall of a rusting sub frame! Hard to find someone that knows how to work on it too... Parts are never available and needs to be ordered. All in all, if you want a cheap car, go Hyundai, my brothers car has lasted way longer than mine

looks way more expensive than it is. clean looking dash, roomy and comfortable seats.

higher quality components, interior and mechanically. paint is ''soft''

Awesome!
By Allen

2002 Kia Optima Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My aunt purchased this car new, and i have always wanted it. I got it and love it. My car has 154,000 miles on it with many more to come. NEVER has left me stranded, the only thing ever replaced is 02 Sensor which is normal to go out after 100,000 on any make or model car.

I love the unique look. I don't like the newer body style as it looks like any other car, but my 2002 looks awesome. I have the SE pearl white with the leather, chrome, etc. LOVE IT!

Larger Rims, HID Lights (i am ordering for my car) Heated seats. That's about it.

NO regrets
By BOW

2002 Kia Optima Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used in '03. It had 27,000 miles on it and was a rental. Before the Kia I had a Mitsubishi Galant. I traded in @ 120,000 miles and 2 transmissions. The KIA is a very well made car, seats are very comfortable, very solid feeling for a mid-size and economical car. Have had no major issues and have 143,000 miles on it now. Even though I did not get the 100,000 mi warranty because I bought it used, no regrets. Would buy another. Think they are well made and a great value. Wish it had a sunroof though!

Solidity, smooth ride, no random rattles

sunroof standard?