Used 2001 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

2001 Kia Optima

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Better choices await...
By kcvelo

2001 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bottom line: This is a very cheap, no frills car. If you are looking for something that will get you around and no more...this is the car for you. If you are looking for a car that holds it's resale value...this is NOT it. Currently worth more as a tax credit on donation -or- totaled than trade-in value. I bought this car in 2003 and have put approximately 45,000 miles on it, mostly highway. At 75,000 total miles it looks and drives like it has 150,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Pros: 1. Cheap initial investment. 2. Starts most mornings. 3. Fuel efficient - 25mpg city/32mpg highway.

Suggested Improvements

Cons: 1. Paint chips off the door handles. 2. The airbag recall fix has been performed three times but the airbag light is still on. 3. Check engine light comes on for weeks at a time then turns off for no apparent reason. 4. Body paint scratches very easily - clearcoat...what's that? 5. Run rough even after a tune up. 6. Battery goes dead every 18 months. 7. Headlight burn out every year like clockwork. They are VERY hard to change and expensive. 8. Noisy inside.

horrid, horrid, horrid car
By cleo

2001 Kia Optima LX V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

nothing but problems from the get go, quite expensive, 3rd set of brakes, alternator, batteries, electrical problems, expensive replacement parts, never ever ever ever ever buy a kia, only car i ever had that came close was a renault

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

how about the whole car and do something about the sensor problems

Rusted/Rotted Out Frame w/ 65975 miles.
By KarenD

2001 Kia Optima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My experience with my '01 optima has not been pleasant. I have had to have both front windows repaired several times and they still don't work properly. My door locks don't work right, I have had to put money into this car hand over fist and now to find out that according to my inspection station (certified kia dealer) that this car is junk because it has a rotted out frame. I will never buy another kia again. I have had nothing but problems with this car since I bought it brand spanking new.

Favorite Features

My radio, even though the speakers don't work properly.

Suggested Improvements

They need to improve the quality of the frame. They also need to back up their cars by taking care of their customers when a customer calls them with issues. I called directly to Kia for answers and he tried making me feel like I didn't know what I was talking about.

NEVER AGAIN
By Julie

2001 Kia Optima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

OK, It looks good, HOWEVER, I have only had this car since 86,000 miles (Now 102,000) and have replaced the alternator twice, all four power windows, have had fuel problems, and check engine light comes on and off sporadically. I hate this car and will never buy a Kia again.

Favorite Features

the look

Suggested Improvements

Everything

2001 Kia Optima SE V6
By Erika

2001 Kia Optima SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

The worst part about buying from a used car lot: you don't know what you're going to get. I did just that. Bought it w/94K later finding out the previous owner did not do ANY maintenance to this car. Little "fixes" add up very quickly. Kia service dept. knows what they're talking about. My regular mechanic still can't figure out a nasty chugging/"hiccup" the car does in reverse and idling which has been going on about 6 months now. They cleaned out the idle system, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Looks like I'll have to take it back to Kia to have it checked out. Also has a passenger side-impact airbag problem - $1600 to fix. I'll just go without the airbags... it's not worth it.

Favorite Features

V6 engine, tiptronic auto-manual, attractive design that receives much attention, woodgrain interior, price. Overall, nice, inexpensive vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Thicker paint, resale value, motors on windows don't seem strong. There might as well not be any dome light, because it's ridiculous how much space it covers. ABS should be standard! Seals need some re-engineering - it fogs up every summer morning - the only way to defog it is to use the heat.