2001 Kia Optima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:
Better choices await...
By kcvelo on 01/12/11 10:38 AM (PST)

2001 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bottom line: This is a very cheap, no frills car. If you are looking for something that will get you around and no more...this is the car for you. If you are looking for a car that holds it's resale value...this is NOT it. Currently worth more as a tax credit on donation -or- totaled than trade-in value. I bought this car in 2003 and have put approximately 45,000 miles on it, mostly highway. At 75,000 total miles it looks and drives like it has 150,000 miles.

horrid, horrid, horrid car
By cleo on 05/11/10 09:45 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Optima LX V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

nothing but problems from the get go, quite expensive, 3rd set of brakes, alternator, batteries, electrical problems, expensive replacement parts, never ever ever ever ever buy a kia, only car i ever had that came close was a renault

Rusted/Rotted Out Frame w/ 65975 miles.
By KarenD on 02/13/09 07:41 AM (PST)

2001 Kia Optima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My experience with my '01 optima has not been pleasant. I have had to have both front windows repaired several times and they still don't work properly. My door locks don't work right, I have had to put money into this car hand over fist and now to find out that according to my inspection station (certified kia dealer) that this car is junk because it has a rotted out frame. I will never buy another kia again. I have had nothing but problems with this car since I bought it brand spanking new.

NEVER AGAIN
By Julie on 08/20/08 17:52 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Optima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

OK, It looks good, HOWEVER, I have only had this car since 86,000 miles (Now 102,000) and have replaced the alternator twice, all four power windows, have had fuel problems, and check engine light comes on and off sporadically. I hate this car and will never buy a Kia again.

2001 Kia Optima SE V6
By Erika on 07/10/07 19:49 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Optima SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

The worst part about buying from a used car lot: you don't know what you're going to get. I did just that. Bought it w/94K later finding out the previous owner did not do ANY maintenance to this car. Little "fixes" add up very quickly. Kia service dept. knows what they're talking about. My regular mechanic still can't figure out a nasty chugging/"hiccup" the car does in reverse and idling which has been going on about 6 months now. They cleaned out the idle system, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Looks like I'll have to take it back to Kia to have it checked out. Also has a passenger side-impact airbag problem - $1600 to fix. I'll just go without the airbags... it's not worth it.

Not worth the money
By Jessica on 04/24/07 09:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Optima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new off the showroom floor. Immediately we had some small issues but nothing major. After owning it for about 3 years and having more warranty problems, my car spent 6 months in the shop. So many things were replaced it's hard to remember. There were transmission problems, computer problems, speaker/radio problems, window and lock problems, and engine problems to name a few. Due to the horrible depreciation on the car, we were only just now able to get rid of it without going into neg. equity. My advice, stay away, there's a reason for the warranty.

Can't complain
By Erika S. on 04/08/07 22:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Optima SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Optima for a little over 10 months. There have been a few more little problems than expected, but I just can't part with it! I ran a risk buying it used and paid for it. Maintenance things such as brakes, tune-up, belts, filters, electrical etc. were never replaced. I am currently experiencing a problem with the passenger side-curtain airbag. $1400 replacement probably due to the car possibly having been in an accident at one point. I love this car to death, though. Looks and drives like a true luxury vehicle. I am a college student and it was an amazingly affordable vehicle that attracts a lot of attention at school. 102,700 miles and still running like new!

Good car for the money
By Iowa on 10/18/06 21:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Optima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Although I only bought my Optima SE V6 4 months ago, I absolutely love it. With 97,500 miles on it, I have noticed only minor glitches. The clock sometimes flickers when I accelerate, and the windows seem like they need to be lubed because they have a hard time rolling up when it rains - but I am getting those fixed soon...they do not affect the performance of the car. The V6 does not get very good gas mileage, but that was assumed when I bought it. I am a college student, and it was an amazing price for a foreign vehicle!

Kia Renee
By renee on 07/28/06 12:23 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Optima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Very reliable vehicle with a smooth ride and excellent reliability.

Kia CAN be reliable
By Iowa on 07/23/06 20:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Optima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my 2001 Optima. I've had it for only a month, and it has 95,000 miles on it. It drives like a Buick, though, and is as reliable as a Toyota, Honda, and Hyundai. I had to have a new timing belt put in it ($500), but that was just a maintenance thing since it looks as though the previous owner had never done it. It's so much fun to drive, though, and all of my neighbors, friends, and family salivate over it saying it looks brand new. I couldn't find a better deal for $5,000 with all the options!

1 2 3 4 5 next »