Forte LX - nice surprise
By eastkia55 on
2014 Kia Forte LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)
I have had this about 2 weeks so far, and still like it, no buyers remorse. I got the LX with Popular package because I wanted cruise control. Back in 2010 when I bought my Corolla, I had looked at Kia but some of the cars seemed cheap. The 14 Forte is a step up, with slightly bigger trunk and trunk opening than the 13, better seats (in my opinion), etc. I recommend it over the 13 even though you pay more. Wind noise okay, a little noiser than Elantra but a quieter than 13 Corolla or Sentra. Trunk opening (important for me cause I have big briefcases, boxes, etc) was better than Corolla, and I didn't have to bend down as much as Elantra. Sentra trunk & opening bigger and better though
Favorite Features
I got standard seats, and pumped about 1/3 way from bottom, I was really surprised at the support for butt and lower back. Better than Elantra. Corolla and Sentra seats softer and also good. Inside, the car feels big and sort of luxurious, you don't feel like you're in a compact tin box. Liked eyeglass compartment in ceiling and the two covered storage center consoles. Back seats spacious, and trunk good so far. Engine seemed a touch less powerful than Elantra, but stronger than Corolla. The Sentra CVT transmission was sort of weird, hesitating on flat ground starts and doing a hesitation alley oop on uphill starts. Forte and Elantra more normal so they were my finalists.
Suggested Improvements
No spare tire is biggest complaint. I will have to buy from dealer or elsewhere in near future, they are supposedly just coming out. Several manufacturers are going this route, with just a inflator kit, to save money and boost gas mileage. Shame on them. Inflator kit is worthless if you are out of cell phone area, or have blowout or sidewall issue. I think Elantra, Chevy Cruze and others are like this now, and may be more cars going this route in future. Anyway, in summary I like the Kia, drives nice, powerful enough for me (brakes ok too, Elantra brakes too touchy). Per dash, mileage 32 to 34 highway, 26 to 30 city, and 28 to 33 mixed.
By eastkia55
on 11/02/14 04:15 AM (PST)

This is eastkia55 with update. Thought I'd done an earlier update but don't see it on site, so maybe they deleted or it didn't post. Right now, have 40K miles on the Forte, and still happy with it. Road noise is slightly more as it ages, but I've had similar effects in other cars. Handling ability on curves still good, and still feels great to drive. No mechanical problems at all so far, and no new dislikes or issues have arisen.