2013 Kia Forte Consumer Review: surprising gas mileage

2013 Kia Forte - Consumer Review

surprising gas mileage
By my_forte on

2013 Kia Forte SX 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Since I was starting a new job that entailed a considerable commute, I needed a car with good gas mileage that didn't hurt the wallet too much. However, since I was going to be spending a considerable amount of time in the car, I wanted as many creature comforts as possible for a low price. The Kia Forte SX 2.4 litre does not sip fuel as well as the 2.0 litre, but I found that driving 100km/hour(legal speed limit here in Ontario), I could attain exactly the 6.2 litres/100km that was advertised...until my last fill-up. The odometer reached 9700 km and at 70-80km/hr while taking the scenic route home, the average consumption dipped to 5.1litres/100km. The 80km trip averaged 5.5litres/100km.

Favorite Features

Love the bluetooth connectivity and overall styling as well as the power when needed. The go-cart handling may not be for everyone, but it definitely works for me.

Suggested Improvements

The only 3 things I would change are the sound system, which is upgradeable anyway, the tires and the transmission. The transmission may not be a good thing for me to judge, as I have never owned a vehicle with an automatic transmission before. I am used to stepping on the pedal and getting instant acceleration as opposed to waiting that split second for the transmission to find the right gear.