Used 2013 Kia Forte Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Kia Forte - Consumer Reviews

2013 Kia Forte Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Forte model:

Economical Car
By smrast

2013 Kia Forte Hatchback SX 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I needed a car that got good gas and good value. I commute 160 miles a day (20 miles dirt road). Getting 31 MPG on average. This is my 4th Kia and one of the reasons of staying with them is the 100,000 warr. & all the options that are included with them. We drive our cars till they fall apart so the resale value means nothing.

Favorite Features

Love the body style of the 5 door hatchback, sun roof, controls on the steering wheel. blue tooth, paddle shifts, and all the info on the speedometer. Also this is a black exterior and fabric is dark grey with red outlines.

Suggested Improvements

Interior lighting is not the best, I have had the LX, EX & now the SX the the EX (05) overhead lights stayed on until the car was started. The SX should come with this feature as it the premium model.

surprising gas mileage
By my_forte

2013 Kia Forte Hatchback SX 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Since I was starting a new job that entailed a considerable commute, I needed a car with good gas mileage that didn't hurt the wallet too much. However, since I was going to be spending a considerable amount of time in the car, I wanted as many creature comforts as possible for a low price. The Kia Forte SX 2.4 litre does not sip fuel as well as the 2.0 litre, but I found that driving 100km/hour(legal speed limit here in Ontario), I could attain exactly the 6.2 litres/100km that was advertised...until my last fill-up. The odometer reached 9700 km and at 70-80km/hr while taking the scenic route home, the average consumption dipped to 5.1litres/100km. The 80km trip averaged 5.5litres/100km.

Favorite Features

Love the bluetooth connectivity and overall styling as well as the power when needed. The go-cart handling may not be for everyone, but it definitely works for me.

Suggested Improvements

The only 3 things I would change are the sound system, which is upgradeable anyway, the tires and the transmission. The transmission may not be a good thing for me to judge, as I have never owned a vehicle with an automatic transmission before. I am used to stepping on the pedal and getting instant acceleration as opposed to waiting that split second for the transmission to find the right gear.

The car is okay, but the gas mileage is not very good.
By soxmamma

2013 Kia Forte Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my Kia Forte Hatchback since September and have not been impressed by the gas mileage. Highway miles I have not gotten over 30 and city miles are only at 20-22. I do not drive the car hard or jack rabbit starts at the stoplight. Not impressed and would probably go with a Honda or Toyota with my next car.

Favorite Features

The radio.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the gas mileage or do not false advertise. The only reason I bought the car is because of "good gas mileage" and reasonable price.

Great Car, But Drinks Gas
By tekwrek

2013 Kia Forte Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

We are pleased with all of the features except the mileage. Based on Kia's specs and Edmunds city/highway mileage calculator we expected mileage of 30 to 32 mpg. (The specs said 34+, but you never get that mileage.) However, we are averaging 26-27 mpg for primarily highway driving. Kia should have included the Forte in its fuel economy rating correction program and should have included Forte owners in its Vehicle Owners Compensation program. We have written to the company and EPA about the omission.

Favorite Features

Cargo capacity, interior design and acceleration

Suggested Improvements

Fuel efficiency