Used 2012 Kia Forte EX Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Forte - Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Forte Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Forte model:

Amazing car for the price
By marco34

2012 Kia Forte Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the Kia Forte Hatchback (really a wagon) with 16,000 miles for $12,400. I drive short distances to work and weekly long highway trips to family. Recently got 43.7 mpg on a flat highway for a 100 mile drive. Normally average 25 mpg in the city. Easy to hit 36 mpg on the highway at 70-75 mph. Absolutely no problems at current miles of 27K miles on the odometer-only oil changes so far.

Favorite Features

Low key style and extremely roomy inside. The 6 speed transmission shifts smoothly and, because the suspension on the hatchback came standard with the upgraded suspension available on the sedan, it handles nice. Adequate horsepower for a car this size. Note that the next generation model is not rated as getting better gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

None.

20k miles in... great car
By morningland

2012 Kia Forte Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I got this car because of the fold down seats and the great interest rate. I do a lot of camping and traveling so the fold down seats were critical since I sometimes car camp. I am able to comfortably lay down in the back area for a cat nap during a long trip or to get a good nights sleep. I am trading it in only because I want the four wheel drive but this car performed pretty decent on forest roads for what it is. It rides very nice too. I borrowed some chevy car of the same size for a week and when I got my Forte back, it felt like driving butter! It is reliable too. 20k miles and not a single engine problem at all!

Favorite Features

The build quality of the interior is pretty decent. Had it for a year of HARD use and it still looks very nice!

Suggested Improvements

The gas milage is not very good for a car of it's size. I do decent in the city at 28 but only get 33 on the highway... not impressive. However, you do get a nice back area when the seats fold back so I think it is a fair trade off. The stereo is also very poor. The volume is far too low and some music is not listenable when driving on the highway. Also, the display for the ipod is very annoying since there is no alphabetical so you literally have to turn the knob for 30 seconds to get to some artists. Other then those two small things, this car is great and I would recommend it to anyone. Forgot to mention Kia's amazing 60k warranty!

Work Commuter
By finzphan68

2012 Kia Forte Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Needed a new car for my daily commute, and have wanted a hatchback for a while too, so came across the Kia Forte, and found that while its not the top of the line model, it offers everything that I needed in a functional and stylish package.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, satellite radio availability, very good MPG. Roomier than you would think, especially in the back.

Suggested Improvements

The standard 2.0 has 150hp, but sometimes feels like it has less than that.

Great value at a very good price!
By bd21

2012 Kia Forte Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The Kia Forte is a well engineered vehicle that I believe is best in class for the price. I paid $17,713.00 out the door for a EX 5-door in Titanium with stone interior. My car was equipped with auto-dimming mirror w/compass, wheel locks, rear bumper applique, cargo net, cargo tray, spashguards and an i-pod cable. I had no trade-in and the price included 6% sales tax and all dealer fees. I did get $2,000.00 in rebates. This car is fun to drive around town and on the interstate. I'm very impressed with the design, quality and functionality of this car. I don't think you will find a better car under $21K.

Favorite Features

It's a well thought out design and everything makes sense. I own two Hondas and they have nothing on Kia other than a higher resale value. The Kia out classes my Civic easily. I like everything about this car. I bought it for my daughter and she loves it and so do I.

Suggested Improvements

I would add a little bit more support to the front seats.

Really good, roomy and nice looking car and great value!
By mazda5forme

2012 Kia Forte Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Everytime we buy a new car, we look at all the brands and compare. Mazda, Toyota's, Honda, Fords, etc. We currently have 2 Fords and we also have a Mazda5 that we bought new a few years ago, that my college age daughter is now using.We bought a brand new 2011 KIA Sorento SX suv in March. Very impressed with the quality and value, also the styling. Then we needed a car for my wife, and looked at everything in the way of small sedans. To make a long story short, we bought a 2012 KIA Forte 5 door EX.

Favorite Features

The interior is very roomy, exudes quality, is comfortable and well finished. Our Sorento is all black in the interior, seats and carpets, dacsh too. But the Forte has dove grey seats to lighten up the interior, and a suprising level of ammenities considering the price. The same UVO system we have in the Sorento, voice operated BlueTooth phone link, and the radio is not the same Infinity we have in the Sorento, but sounds unbelievable. And interfaces with our IPods, Flash Drives and my Sone Walkman too. The 6 speed automatic is smooth and kicks down easily to get you going in a hurry, and the engine is the 2.0, and we average 28 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

The surfaces on the interior dash, door panels, etc look nice...well textured but hard. But the arm rests are nicely padded, and the steering wheel is nice and comfortable. It could use a few more horse power, but the performance it has beats our ex-Ford Escort and even the Mazda, and gets better mileage. It has "solar windows" to restrict the amount of sun-generated infrared (and sometimes ultraviolet) radiation passing through the glass. This helps keep the sun and heat out, but I would have liked a darker tint, as the "solar control glass" is nearly clear. Other than that, we love it! And the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty is just "icing on the cake!"