Used 2012 Kia Forte Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Forte - Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Forte Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Forte model:

So far, great purchase
By fallis

2012 Kia Forte Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Let me first say that I'd never thought I'd look twice at a Kia until recently. THey've certainly improved their vehicles in every way. Purchased a certified 2012 Forte EX 5-door at a Kia dealer w/ 27k miles after trading in 07 Toyota Rav. This is a great design as a small wagon. Seems like a best kept secret too, since I don't see to many out there. Great looks, great mileage (30 average, more on hiway), and MUCH better acceleration than my Honda Fit. I was doing hiway speeds of 75 mph, and the tach was still under 2500 rpm! I've had it for 1 1/2 months and already put almost 3k miles, no probs. Can't beat the warrantee either. Way to go Kia.

Favorite Features

Great acceleration, smoother ride and comfort than Honda Fit with similar MPG. Versatile design. Sirius/XM ready.

Suggested Improvements

Can only get cruise control with EX and above models. Nowadays cruise should be standard on all models.

Amazing car for the price
By marco34

2012 Kia Forte Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the Kia Forte Hatchback (really a wagon) with 16,000 miles for $12,400. I drive short distances to work and weekly long highway trips to family. Recently got 43.7 mpg on a flat highway for a 100 mile drive. Normally average 25 mpg in the city. Easy to hit 36 mpg on the highway at 70-75 mph. Absolutely no problems at current miles of 27K miles on the odometer-only oil changes so far.

Favorite Features

Low key style and extremely roomy inside. The 6 speed transmission shifts smoothly and, because the suspension on the hatchback came standard with the upgraded suspension available on the sedan, it handles nice. Adequate horsepower for a car this size. Note that the next generation model is not rated as getting better gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

None.

20k miles in... great car
By morningland

2012 Kia Forte Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I got this car because of the fold down seats and the great interest rate. I do a lot of camping and traveling so the fold down seats were critical since I sometimes car camp. I am able to comfortably lay down in the back area for a cat nap during a long trip or to get a good nights sleep. I am trading it in only because I want the four wheel drive but this car performed pretty decent on forest roads for what it is. It rides very nice too. I borrowed some chevy car of the same size for a week and when I got my Forte back, it felt like driving butter! It is reliable too. 20k miles and not a single engine problem at all!

Favorite Features

The build quality of the interior is pretty decent. Had it for a year of HARD use and it still looks very nice!

Suggested Improvements

The gas milage is not very good for a car of it's size. I do decent in the city at 28 but only get 33 on the highway... not impressive. However, you do get a nice back area when the seats fold back so I think it is a fair trade off. The stereo is also very poor. The volume is far too low and some music is not listenable when driving on the highway. Also, the display for the ipod is very annoying since there is no alphabetical so you literally have to turn the knob for 30 seconds to get to some artists. Other then those two small things, this car is great and I would recommend it to anyone. Forgot to mention Kia's amazing 60k warranty!

Work Commuter
By finzphan68

2012 Kia Forte Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Needed a new car for my daily commute, and have wanted a hatchback for a while too, so came across the Kia Forte, and found that while its not the top of the line model, it offers everything that I needed in a functional and stylish package.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, satellite radio availability, very good MPG. Roomier than you would think, especially in the back.

Suggested Improvements

The standard 2.0 has 150hp, but sometimes feels like it has less than that.

Love, love, love my Kia Forte!
By doitalone

2012 Kia Forte Hatchback SX 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

It's a fun car to drive. Even with being one of the bigger hatchbacks on the market, (I call it a mini-SUV) it's got great handling and fun engine. My previous car was a suped up Ford Focus, and I actually like driving this Kia more. The back seat provides a ton of room for passengers. Seats are comfortable to sit in, and I drive 40 minutes to and from work most mornings and never have problems with my knees or back - which was a problem with my focus and sometimes my boyfriends civic. The price is a little high for the SX version - but see if you can find rebate deals. I got mine on a lease fully loaded for $250 a month. If I choose to buy it out I'll only pay $20,000 total.

Favorite Features

I love the compartments in this Kia. Under the back in the hatch there's an option for a tray which doubles as a cooler. The second weekend I had it I went to Costco and got all kinds of meat in 100 degree heat and was able to leave it in the cooler and go into Target and shop with no problems. The technology in the car is so easy to use - even my mom can use. In fact - she loved my car and the technology so much that she went out and bought a Soul a month later because of how Kia does things. (Bluetooth, XM, etc.) I also have a 7 speaker sound system that PUMPS. It's the best sound system I've ever had stock. I'm not making any changes to it.

Suggested Improvements

I honestly can't think of anything I would improve on this car. They pretty much knocked it out of the park with this Kia.