Used 2012 Kia Forte Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Forte Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Forte Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Forte model:

Great Compact Car!
By Alan Sloan

2012 Kia Forte Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Keep in mind this is a compact car. You are not going to get ride/room or power of a mid-size car. We purchased our Forte 5 door new on 6/2012 and have 50,000 miles on it.

THE GOOD - a/c, engine power, drives nicely, cup holders and storage room, big back seat (5 door), blue tooth, only one repair - the key would not unlock the driver's door but the remote has always worked. Also a great warranty - 10 yr/100,000 mi

We live in Texas and the a/c can handle the hottest days. I am 6'3" and I have room in the back seat.

THE BAD - No Water Temperature gauge (has light), head rests are very uncomfortable, and the fuel mileage.

If I use the cruise control I get poor fuel mileage. If I drive into a head wind I get poor fuel mileage. Keeping the speed at 70 mph or less with a tail wind and accelerating down hill and backing off going uphill I have gotten 35 mpg as advertised or better several times.

Wow, this car was a great ride!
By connelly.carol@gmail.com

2012 Kia Forte Hatchback SX 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

For the first 56,000 miles, this car is dependable and looks great; however, do not be fooled by the "normal" KIA noise coming from the engine. I live in Tampa, Florida, and dealership support has been poor thus far. The clicking sounds in the engine base ended up needing a tension pulley at 60,500 miles, just 500 out of warranty. Kia USA agreed to honor and pay as it was 600 $ for repairs. I still heard a metal whirling sound, but was told that was a "normal" KIA sound...what? At any rate, about 3000 miles later, the whirling sound is getting louder and now it has been diagnosed as needing a new compressor..haha. seriously? I still like the car; it handles a little better than the Honda fit (which is out of my league, it seems pricewise), but the Forte is still the riff raff of the hatchbacks, and honestly? With this happening at 60,000 miles, holy moly, I do not see the car having any value whatsoever at 100,000. P.S. I had an Isuzu Trooper 290,000. It was the sweetest 20,000$ I ever spent. I feel I was a bit rough with the scoring, but if I was to get mezmerized and sucked in on a 100,000 power train warranty, it would be with an Elantra. Right now with the boom shakalaka noise and rattle and roll, anything is better than what I am dealing with...1200$ for a compressor, wow!

So far, great purchase
By fallis

2012 Kia Forte Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Let me first say that I'd never thought I'd look twice at a Kia until recently. THey've certainly improved their vehicles in every way. Purchased a certified 2012 Forte EX 5-door at a Kia dealer w/ 27k miles after trading in 07 Toyota Rav. This is a great design as a small wagon. Seems like a best kept secret too, since I don't see to many out there. Great looks, great mileage (30 average, more on hiway), and MUCH better acceleration than my Honda Fit. I was doing hiway speeds of 75 mph, and the tach was still under 2500 rpm! I've had it for 1 1/2 months and already put almost 3k miles, no probs. Can't beat the warrantee either. Way to go Kia.

Great acceleration, smoother ride and comfort than Honda Fit with similar MPG. Versatile design. Sirius/XM ready.

Can only get cruise control with EX and above models. Nowadays cruise should be standard on all models.

Amazing car for the price
By marco34

2012 Kia Forte Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the Kia Forte Hatchback (really a wagon) with 16,000 miles for $12,400.
I drive short distances to work and weekly long highway trips to family.
Recently got 43.7 mpg on a flat highway for a 100 mile drive.
Normally average 25 mpg in the city.
Easy to hit 36 mpg on the highway at 70-75 mph.
Absolutely no problems at current miles of 27K miles on the odometer-only oil changes so far.

Low key style and extremely roomy inside. The 6 speed transmission shifts smoothly and, because the suspension on the hatchback came standard with the upgraded suspension available on the sedan, it handles nice. Adequate horsepower for a car this size. Note that the next generation model is not rated as getting better gas mileage.

None.

20k miles in... great car
By morningland

2012 Kia Forte Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I got this car because of the fold down seats and the great interest rate.
I do a lot of camping and traveling so the fold down seats were critical since I sometimes car camp.
I am able to comfortably lay down in the back area for a cat nap during a long trip or to get a good nights sleep.
I am trading it in only because I want the four wheel drive but this car performed pretty decent on forest roads for what it is.

It rides very nice too. I borrowed some chevy car of the same size for a week and when I got my Forte back, it felt like driving butter!

It is reliable too.
20k miles and not a single engine problem at all!

The build quality of the interior is pretty decent. Had it for a year of HARD use and it still looks very nice!

The gas milage is not very good for a car of it's size. I do decent in the city at 28 but only get 33 on the highway... not impressive. However, you do get a nice back area when the seats fold back so I think it is a fair trade off. The stereo is also very poor. The volume is far too low and some music is not listenable when driving on the highway. Also, the display for the ipod is very annoying since there is no alphabetical so you literally have to turn the knob for 30 seconds to get to some artists. Other then those two small things, this car is great and I would recommend it to anyone. Forgot to mention Kia's amazing 60k warranty!