A Very Good Deal Among Compact Coupes
By 353cathedral on
2011 Kia Forte Koup EX 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)
I selected the forte EX coupe over the SX because I didn't want a sunroof and, more important, I already have a set of winter tires and rims that would fit the EX, but not the SX. I was impressed with the long list of standard features that are extra-cost options on cars like the Civic, Cruze, Corolla and Focus. In addition, compact coupes are becoming quite rare now, but the Forte fulfills my needs almost perfectly. Its 156 hp engine, 2845 lbs. weight and 6-speed manual transmission combine for lively performance and excellent gas mileage. In addition, it handles well, absorbs bumps better than my previous vehicle and brakes smoothly. It's also quite unique; I've seen very few others yet.
Favorite Features
The car has plenty of interior storage space with compartments, cubbyholes and shelves all over, something that its domestic counterparts lack. With features like traction and stability control handling inspires confidence. The A/C works well as does the cruise control and audio system. The transmission shifts smoothly and once I got used to using the 6th gear, the fuel economy has lived up to what was advertised. I'm good for 34.8 mpg (based on the Imperial gallon) in driving that has been 75% city 25% highway. Former Audi head designer Peter Schreyer has managed to give the Koup a look that is both compact, yet muscular, something like a scaled-down Camaro.
Suggested Improvements
The large rear window might benefit from a wiper. There's a bit of a blind spot where the left windshield pillar and doorframe meet. I wouldn't mind a temperature gauge either. The turn signal stalk could be made a bit stiffer so that when a person is signalling a lane change the flasher doesn't continue to stay on. The EX Koup's standard wheel covers, despite having an attractive design, should have been of a brighter finish. The grey one makes the wheels look dirty from a distance. The horn should be louder and more assertive.