Used 2011 Kia Forte Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Kia Forte - Consumer Reviews

2011 Kia Forte Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Forte model:

first 500 miles
By walt35

2011 Kia Forte Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I traded my three year old PT Cruiser... which I would have kept if it had not gotten such awful fuel enonomy.. So I wanted another hatch back. The seating position of the Forte is like a race car .. I have to get used to that and the smaller wheel.. but handling is precise and very fun.. The Korean tires are made with nylon rather than polyester which I think causes too firm a ride at times.. They otherwise handle just fine.. I had to pay a guy to put on painted body side mouldings.. KIA does not offer factory body side mouldings.. that was a small pain ... first tank of gas with mixed driving was 27.. that's good... Overall quite happy so far.

Favorite Features

6 speed auto with manual shift capability.

Suggested Improvements

Make mileage computer standard on all models.. Change the top gear shift program so it does not go into 6th gear at 40 mph.. causes the engine to labor.. Use a premium US made tire for a better ride.. Manual inside hatch release would be nice.. or push utton in the cabin.

2011 Forte review
By txriverrat

2011 Kia Forte Hatchback SX 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We went into the Kia dealership to purchase a Kia !Soul for my husband and walked out with two cars, a !Soul and a Forte. I was happy to trade in a Mazda3 that never lived up to my expectations. The Forte is my perfect car - it's fun to drive, lots of pep!, stylish, and bluetooth is awesome. I plan to drive this car a very long time. The gas mileage isn't as good as I thought but on the other hand, I drive in city stop and go traffic, 15 miles to work and I'm happy with 23 mpg. Don't change a thing about this car - Kia Forte is a homerun!

Favorite Features

can't pick just one favorite

Forte SX hatch vs. Mazda 3 or Elantra Touring
By rb7385899

2011 Kia Forte Hatchback SX 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We already have an 09 elantra touring. The Kia is a step up (173 hp, 6 speed auto) and better styled. We cross shopped it against the Mazda 3 (too little rear seat room) and Subaru Forrester (noisy, handles worse). After about 1,000 miles i'm pretty satisifed with the Kia. Returning about 26 mpg on my commute, and is fully loaded (leather, sunroof, power everything for $21K and change). Much peppier than the elantra, which I still love anyway.

Favorite Features

Likes - space, mpg, acceleration, styling, quiet, value/price. mine is some sort of metallic red paint, black leather with red piping. sharp looking.

Suggested Improvements

how much would an oil gauge have cost? rear seat cupholders? the steering wheel shift paddles are weirdly placed, but the console shifter can up and downshift manually quite naturally.

Minor glitches, not getting MPG advertised
By sschultz

2011 Kia Forte Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the 2011 Kia Forte 5-door four weeks ago and already need to head into the shop. The clock quit working on a drive the other day, the key fab control for the hatch isn't functioning and the power outlet casing comes out when I try to remove my ipod charger. Relatively minor things - but it is a new car. Averaging 30MPG (not included in the trip computer, but a manual calculation) driving 60 miles highway every day. I'm not an inefficient driver so unclear on when I'm going to start getting 34MPG. Overall it's a fun car to drive but have concerns about the build quality and reliability of electronic components specifically.

Favorite Features

Satelitte radio

Suggested Improvements

All-inclusive trip computer so I can monitor MPG, leather interior, shape the back hatch with less of a lip at the bottom where the door meets the bumper - when it gets dirty it's a eyesore, consider an upgraded suspension system because it's a rough ride :)

Wonderfully, Disappointing
By juego

2011 Kia Forte Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I would look at Mazda 5 again, but the Kia value as a 2.0 liter hatchback with the long warranties, roadside assistance, and all the standard features, likes Bluetooth, satellite radio, and safety equipment is hard to beat. Speaking about safety, I keep getting cruiser and volume controls mix up on the steering wheel. Hopefully, I will differentiate them before itís too late.

Favorite Features

All the standard amenities, plus I am find more as I use the car, such as like extended visors, storage space under the truck floor, and rear seats fold down flat (You must pull the bottom of the rear seat forward) plus you can store the rear head rests under the rear seats when you fold down it. Oil changes are at every 7,500 miles.

Suggested Improvements

After putting 1500 miles the mileage is a disappointment!!! With the stock air filter, driving (50% freeway & 50% city) I got 28 mpg. When I drove 75% freeway, I got 32 mpg while driving under speed limit. Now, with K&N air filter (50% freeway /50%) I get 30mpg. Also the front passage seat does not fold flat and rear window only go partially down. I guess it because the way the rear doors are shaped.