Used 2011 Kia Forte Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Kia Forte - Consumer Reviews

2011 Kia Forte

View reviews for a specific Forte model:

Forte in PA...
By nepaforte

2011 Kia Forte Koup SX 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Bought a 2010 Forte Koup SX on a great deal. Brand new on the lot with the two features I wanted (Moonroof and auto-dim mirror) for $16,500! Driving on Northeastern PA roads does put this car at a disadvantage: Between too stiff of a ride and 45 profile tires, you REALLY feel everything. Also had the misfortune of busting two tires within a month on the area's wonderful roads... That aside, it handles like a dream, has fun acceleration, is one of the best looking sub-20k cars on the road, and the accelerator pedal can be tweaked to feel better through this guide: http://www.forteforums.com/forums/do-yourself-articles/1342-best-throttle-mod-ever-2.html#post16307

Favorite Features

Love the look of this thing... in Race Red, the car pops in the sun after a good polishing. Handling is great, engine has plenty of "oomph", Sound system is surprisingly good, LOVE the USB connection! Just fill a thumb drive and leave it in there with all your favorite music, and the interior while not as exciting as the exterior, I still find pretty nice. Gas mileage has been pretty much as advertised, 22mpg is easily had in the city, grabbing 32 on the highway is a bit harder, but have been avg 26-28mpg with 60/40 city/hwy driving. 26.5k on the car so far :)

Suggested Improvements

Gotta work on that suspension and road noise... It costs maybe an extra $100 to stick some sound deadening material in the wheel-wells and floor to minimize how much noise comes through. Have a little more forgiveness with ride, little more refinement in either the dampening systems or springs is needed. Clutch is probably one of the quirkiest to get used to, and the shifter is OK

Kia has many flaws
By brian707

2011 Kia Forte EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my Forte EX 2011 new. I am disappointed with the gas mileage I've obtained which for an entire tank remains averages between 20-25 mpg with about 60% city and 40% hwy driving. Yet the worst features are the audio unit and the customer service (both corporate and local). My audio unit will randomly start whistling loudly, will turn itself off, bluetooth turns on and makes settings changes without prompting, the CD device fails, and all of these issue repeated after KIA replaced my audio unit with a brand new one. These glitches occur a few times a week while I'm driving. I've had complaints with KIA that have not been resolved for the past 4 months. I feel ignored by KIA.

Favorite Features

The Forte EX has a nice design and sufficient power under the hood. The seats are comfortable and the dash is relatively visually appealing.

Suggested Improvements

The audio unit is poorly designed. It requires a $70 additional cable to use the USB function with an iPod device and even with the KIA made USB it is not compatible with most functions of the Apple iPods or iPhones. Audio unit has many glitches which need KIA service does not seem to understand nor are able to fix. The gas mileage performs below their advertised EPA estimate. Customer service does a poor job of following up with customers and resolving problems (I often get stuck with leaving voicemails and my calls are rarely returned within a month long period). KIA has not stood behind their products or fixed the issues I've had with my 2011 Forte EX even with "platinum warranty".

steer clear from Kia, Silver Spring Kia and the King automotive group
By planedoc42

2011 Kia Forte SX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

In April 2011 I bought Kia Forte. since i drove off the dealers lot the car seemed sluggish like there's a brake or gear is stuck on. Within two weeks after i bought the car i asked the Kia service station to look at the car and that's when a employee at Kia service stated that the catalytic converter could be clogged or not functioning properly. (I think Kia hide him because I never saw him again). Since than my check engine light which i actually thought wouldn't even come on if came on as I was on the beltway coming from my office at Andrews going 60 mph it did come on and the engine automatically slowed down which concerned me because this could have caused an accident during rush hour. A day after the check engine light came on i brought it into the Kia service station and Kia said we reset the light and we do know it was a misfire code but we don't know why or if it will happen again. For a new car this scares me. 6 days later i started my car and began to drive and AGAIN i noticed the check engine light stayed on but went off in 47 seconds Again for a new car this scares me and represents a safety issue and for Kia to disregard safety complaints from customers is disgraceful. The dealer Silver Spring Kia was great UNTIL i bought the car I actually brought the car back 3 days later and told the sales Mgr Laura Jerlet the i had a problem with the car and what i can do now to get trade it or get a refund (again this was after 3 three days) she said "once you buy a Kia your screwed" the dealership GM Betty ann Mendelsohn Aschenbach a the part of the KING AUTO group should be steered away from at all costs, the customer service after you buy the car is awful. So far I spent at least $1000.00 on this car due to something wrong with the engine operation that can be causing the bad fuel economy and the check engine light to come on and slow down in beltway traffic. (it happened 3 times since i bought the car 9 Mounts) Under the Md State Lemon Law I Asked Kia to Re-purchase or at least help me get into a car that doesn't have issues. The BBB arbitrator actually stated at the arbitration hearing before the hearing started "Kia doesn't want to do anything to assist you anyway." I did explain the issues to the Arbertrater (Harold Cohen) and the person from Kia Ted Renfrow explain his side (he lied and covered up issues about the vacuum system and the safety issues i explained To be safe Customers that are looking to buy a new or used car must stay away from Silver Spring Kia. and Kia all together. Kia is a very poorly made very cheaply built car and at highway speeds the car is very unsafe and the Kia corporation that covers up safety issues and lies to customers are best just kept away from.

Favorite Features

dont feel cufortable in the car

Suggested Improvements

Scrap car peace of junk

Luv my kia's
By 04spectre

2011 Kia Forte EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Traded in our '04 Optima EX V-6 @ 133,000 for our Forte. The Optima was a great car. Only had to replace the starter. Absolutely luv the forte. Spirited 2.0L, great 6sp auto. Outstanding gas mileage, on a trip from Jax, Fl to Philly it avg over 40 mpg during 1 tank run, i.e. 403 miles and only took 9.7 gal to fill. Averaged 37-38 mpg on the trip. A definite gas saver over the 2.7L Optima. I am 6'1", 256#, a little cramped but otherwise REALLY like this car. Started out with a 2001 Sephia, bought '02 Optima EX V-6 for Mama, Traded both cars in on the same day in Dec '03 for an '04 Spectra and the '04 Optima. Still have the Spectra @ over 103,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, Blue Tooth, Sirius [for long trips], comfortable for my wife and she says it rides well! Spirited acceleration with the 6sp auto. Much more aggresive over the old 4sp auto.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe more padding on the seats for us BIG guys [although I could stand to lose quite a few #'s. A larger gas tank for longer legs while traveling [maybe a 16 gal tank = over 600 mi per tank] 16 X 37 mpg = 608 mi!

A good car, but not a great one
By forte5

2011 Kia Forte SX 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I have had my Forte 5 SX with manual for about 29k miles. It has been completely reliable. I find it spacious, get 30mpg with suburban driving, it's very quick, and the controls are easy to use. Negatives are a rough around town ride that smooths out on the highway, it can be noisy on rough road surfaces, the throttle it too light and aggressive - making it hard to drive smoothly.

Favorite Features

The Bluetooth works well. While the engine is noise at high revs, it has a lot of torque, so you really don't need to rev it. I like the looks, especially the 17" alloys and the rear view.

Suggested Improvements

Better road noise insulation. Make the throttle less aggressive and add some heft to it. It's hard to shift when cold. Soften the springs a bit and increase the dampening.