Used 2009 Kia Borrego SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Kia Borrego - Consumer Reviews

2009 Kia Borrego SUV

View reviews for a specific Borrego model:

New Age Trooper
By C. Jones

2009 Kia Borrego SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I shopped around for a couple of months and this dealership ordered in the color an option combintation that I wanted. So far I am getting about 19 MPG with mixed driving.V6 has plenty of power,but the transmission holds 4th gear too long.The heated seats are great and it drives really well in the snow.I thought the stock tires would be worthless,but so far they do well in winter weather.The ride is a little firm,but softens some with more cargo.The built in trailer hitch and wiring is great and it tows really well.I think mine had been sitting for a while because there was some rust on the chrome lug nuts upon delivery.Overall a great vehicle for the money and a fairly gnarly 4 wheeler.

Favorite Features

Heated seats,satellite radio.Memory for seats,steering wheel and mirrors.Hood struts,instead of a prop rod.5 full size chrome wheels and tires.

Suggested Improvements

Spare tire and wheel should have a TPS sensor.Improve ride quality and gas mileage.Improve paint quality,quite a few imperfections.

The Power to Suprise
By ray1117

2009 Kia Borrego SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Kia about 3 months ago and don't regret it a bit. Got to "test" it during a recent snow storm and its four wheel drive capability was incredible. Plowed through over two feet of snow on unplowed highway shoulders and it worked like a champ. Haven't had a single problem with it and really don't expect any. Kia did an impressive job building this. Comfortable ride, nice controls, excellent quality, very quiet, and just enjoyable to drive. Thanks Kia.

Favorite Features

Build quality solid. Interior low noise levels. Comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

Drop Sirius and add HD radio. Rear window retraction would have been nice. Lighted cup holders.

Bang For Your Buck
By Francie

2009 Kia Borrego SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Just purchased and so far love it. Never thought that I would own a vehicle without an American emblem on the front- felt a little guilty! I have had 3 Explorers in a row. However, a few days of driving it through a foot of snow up and down our mountainous driveway took care of that. I live in the mountains of WV(some people still need a real 4-wheel drive) Has good pick-up, smooth ride, and oh so roomy. I did not choose it for the gas mileage,as I am 2 miles from work. Tried to buy a Traverse- way out of line on pricing, for what you get-did not compare to the amenities that I got on the Borrego-esp.leather seat pkg.

Favorite Features

Price,looks, ride, seat comfort, front window de-icer, size, reclining 2nd row seats,and roominess

Suggested Improvements

Needs outside courtesy lights; 4-wheel drive button in awkward place- steering wheel blocks its view

My first SUV....not too shabby....
By pappy

2009 Kia Borrego SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

The bottom line is I really, really like this car. Used all the reviews here on Edmunds(which were pretty spot on) and the USAA car buying help to get a good price in my mind before we headed out to the dealership. All said and done, paid $27,772(initial offer form the dealer was $28,900+). That includes: Leather throughout(Luxury package), crossbars, bluetooth, and '17 chrome wheels. Could have cared less about the wheels/bluetooth, but they were already on/installed and new laws in OR make already having the bluetooth great! 2,400 miles in and overall satisfied with the car. Oh, and the dealer used it as his personal car so it had 570 miles on it when we got it. Wife was pissed....

Favorite Features

Love the "Copperhead" paint scheme and the huge warranty. The leather and heated seats are great. It handled great on the way up Mt. Hood during light-moderate snow.

Suggested Improvements

Not a fan of a 20 gallon fuel tank on a car that sucks up gas at 16 MPG. Seems like I'm always filling it up, at least give me the illusion that it takes a while to go dry with a 26-30 gal tank. Rough, rough ride over potholes and back mountain crappy roads.

VALUE!
By corky

2009 Kia Borrego SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Traded a 2003 Explorer, Rear end failed at 76000...Understand this is big problem with ford limited silp 4x4. Wanted a Huge warranty, Kia 10 years 100,000 drivetrain and 5 year bumper to bumper...25,000 with leather seating, looks goods drives good...and I sleep at night not worrying about big repair bills! Salesman said watch the maintance scedule; have proof and no one can say no to repairs. Goodnite I sleep like a baby!

Favorite Features

solid feel, safe feel

Suggested Improvements

Standard radio sounds muffled, maybe I did something wrong, should be clearer. I will bring it in and see.