2009 Kia Borrego SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Borrego model:
New Age Trooper
By C. Jones on 01/14/10 21:04 PM (PST)

2009 Kia Borrego SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I shopped around for a couple of months and this dealership ordered in the color an option combintation that I wanted. So far I am getting about 19 MPG with mixed driving.V6 has plenty of power,but the transmission holds 4th gear too long.The heated seats are great and it drives really well in the snow.I thought the stock tires would be worthless,but so far they do well in winter weather.The ride is a little firm,but softens some with more cargo.The built in trailer hitch and wiring is great and it tows really well.I think mine had been sitting for a while because there was some rust on the chrome lug nuts upon delivery.Overall a great vehicle for the money and a fairly gnarly 4 wheeler.

The Power to Suprise
By ray1117 on 01/09/10 12:32 PM (PST)

2009 Kia Borrego SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Kia about 3 months ago and don't regret it a bit. Got to "test" it during a recent snow storm and its four wheel drive capability was incredible. Plowed through over two feet of snow on unplowed highway shoulders and it worked like a champ. Haven't had a single problem with it and really don't expect any. Kia did an impressive job building this. Comfortable ride, nice controls, excellent quality, very quiet, and just enjoyable to drive. Thanks Kia.

Bang For Your Buck
By Francie on 01/08/10 22:34 PM (PST)

2009 Kia Borrego SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Just purchased and so far love it. Never thought that I would own a vehicle without an American emblem on the front- felt a little guilty! I have had 3 Explorers in a row. However, a few days of driving it through a foot of snow up and down our mountainous driveway took care of that. I live in the mountains of WV(some people still need a real 4-wheel drive) Has good pick-up, smooth ride, and oh so roomy. I did not choose it for the gas mileage,as I am 2 miles from work. Tried to buy a Traverse- way out of line on pricing, for what you get-did not compare to the amenities that I got on the Borrego-esp.leather seat pkg.

My first SUV....not too shabby....
By pappy on 01/08/10 10:11 AM (PST)

2009 Kia Borrego SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

The bottom line is I really, really like this car. Used all the reviews here on Edmunds(which were pretty spot on) and the USAA car buying help to get a good price in my mind before we headed out to the dealership. All said and done, paid $27,772(initial offer form the dealer was $28,900+). That includes: Leather throughout(Luxury package), crossbars, bluetooth, and '17 chrome wheels. Could have cared less about the wheels/bluetooth, but they were already on/installed and new laws in OR make already having the bluetooth great! 2,400 miles in and overall satisfied with the car. Oh, and the dealer used it as his personal car so it had 570 miles on it when we got it. Wife was pissed....

VALUE!
By corky on 12/30/09 19:56 PM (PST)

2009 Kia Borrego SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Traded a 2003 Explorer, Rear end failed at 76000...Understand this is big problem with ford limited silp 4x4. Wanted a Huge warranty, Kia 10 years 100,000 drivetrain and 5 year bumper to bumper...25,000 with leather seating, looks goods drives good...and I sleep at night not worrying about big repair bills! Salesman said watch the maintance scedule; have proof and no one can say no to repairs. Goodnite I sleep like a baby!

Gotta Great Deal !!
By Tim on 12/30/09 19:42 PM (PST)

2009 Kia Borrego SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased my 2009 Borrego LX 4WD in Nov 2009 for over $7k off the sticker - gotta a great deal at $22,900. We are overall very pleased with this SUV with the exception of gas mileage (about 16 in town). Hope to see improvement as it breaks in. Also, the last gear in the tranny shifts really late, which makes you feel like it is revving too much under certain driving conditions. It is my understanding that this is normal or was designed that way, but still a little annoying. Overall, LOTS of room and comfort. All back seats fold pretty flat making hauling easy. It is a bit cumbersome getting in the 3rd seat, but the middle seats do slide up pretty far. Handles very well!!

Angry....
By luvpaj02 on 12/13/09 22:19 PM (PST)

2009 Kia Borrego SUV EX 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Borrego for two weeks exactly. Right off the bat, I had to have the radio replaced because the Sirius Satellite Radio portion of the radio did not work. That's fine. Minor glitch. Unfortunately, when the dealership replaced it, they damaged the trim and interior of my vehicle. So now that has to be repaired. Very frustrating, but bearable. However, today, I got into my vehicle and my radio will not even turn on. I am so incredibly frustrated. It is an 80 mile round trip for me to go to the dealership and I resent that this is the FOURTH trip I will have had to make since purchasing the vehicle. I hope that I will have a more positive update in the future.

Excellent SUV
By Arthur on 12/04/09 07:56 AM (PST)

2009 Kia Borrego SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I have a 4WD six cylinder and I love it. The car is beautiful, fast and strong and the fuel economy is decent. I love the accessories: leather, GPS, power seat memory position, rear sensors, power sun roof, voice command, lots of room, etc. Vehicle handles excellent. My only concern is: as they don’t have KIA Dealership in my city I have to drive almost 90 miles to have the periodic maintenance done by KIA.

First Kia and Impressed
By Ron on 11/24/09 19:20 PM (PST)

2009 Kia Borrego SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased an LX about a month ago after seeing a newspaper ad. Was looking to buy a slightly used SUV, but was able to buy my new Borrego for only a couple grand more. Out-the-door price was about $24K after rebate and discount. The strong engine and brake perform flawlessly. Transmission, however, sometimes hesitates. Fuel economy is a little disappointing at 16+ MPG (mostly city). The interior is mostly quiet, and ride is good except over rough pavement. It can get jarring, and mine rattles a bit in the back area. All controls are laid out intuitively. I wasn't sure about the red-lit center stack, but it's actually quite soothing at night. Overall, I'm satisfied with Borrego.

Great Value
By draymun on 11/16/09 15:03 PM (PST)

2009 Kia Borrego SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car for my wife. She now has a little over 3k miles on it since purchase. We are pretty happy with the purchase and the value vs. price. Traded in an X5 and Expedition for this vehicle and so far no regrets. Interior is a bit bland and simple but nevertheless is not unappealing. The only complaint we have is that the air conditioning is not as strong as we are use to but does cool the car adequately after a short period of time. If you are planning to use the rear seat, the rear AC would probably be a good option to get.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Kia Borrego Suv in VA is:

$127 per month*