Used 2009 Kia Borrego SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Kia Borrego - Consumer Reviews

2009 Kia Borrego SUV

View reviews for a specific Borrego model:

A Real Sleeper!
By adomaib

2009 Kia Borrego SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

We have been a KIA family since our first Sedona 12+ years ago and currently own a Soul and a Rio. I was always intrigued by the Borrego but timing, finances and and model availability never seemed to come together; until this Memorial Day. We bought a 2009 LX AWD 6 cylinder with 29000 miles. We immediately took off on a 1000 mile driving trip to Northern Minnesota for a week. The Borrego met our every expectation. It was comfortable, roomy for all our gear, quiet, and it handled much better than all the negative reviews about "rough ride" would lead you to expect. Acceleration with the 6 cylinder is more than brisk, and our gas mileage for the trip was 21.9.

Favorite Features

Roominess, quiet ride, comfortable, great visibility, good gas mileage, acceleration, solid feeling, towing capacity, audio system, the awesome copper colored paint job, interior fit and finish

Suggested Improvements

None at this time!

best purchase ever 4x4 8cyl. EX Limited
By timotheo

2009 Kia Borrego SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I was considering an Explorer or 4Runner. The first car has failed everything: price, reliability, comfort handling etc. 4Runner limited is... didn't want to pay for another mortgage. Kia Borrego EX Limited has everything but listed at a great price. After research (and tons of positive reviews) I(6'3") test drove it and was amazed at the vehicle. I have the 8 cyl. It has great turning radius, power, rides smooth, size, comfortable heated seating for 6 or 7, 7,500 towing capacity, BMW transmission & other tons of bells and whistles. I drove it for over 3K with no problems by now. I think the Borrego is a great car for the price. Mileage is 16.7 mpg combined avg but I donít drive HW much.

Favorite Features

Comfort(roomy), power, look and style,heated seats, room for second and 3rd row, price... everything

Suggested Improvements

After I saved tons of money, I bought new Michelins Lattitude Tour tires. The car feels even better now.

Wonderful!!!
By asiel1

2009 Kia Borrego SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first SUV. I purchased it last November after my car was totaled. We have driven this car home to Louisiana (8 hours) Jacksonville Fl (13) and Colorado Springs(13).-- one way trips. The car drove beautifully and was comfortable for my three kids. - 18,13, and 10. The only complaint I have had is shifiting into gear in the mountains, it drags a bit. -- and occasionally the downhill and traction control button comes on, but other than that nothing. The hankook tires are okay, but wear out quickly--41,000 for me and will be replaced with Michelins. All in all, I love this car. buy one and never look back. I plan on driving mine for years!

Favorite Features

V6 engine, I had a four cylinder before. The size is great, third row seat wonderful for my 10 year old daughter it's her "spot".

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back. It's a great family car. Get rid of the RWD and make them all AWD. It's crappy in ice-- dangerous! fix the transmission issues it's rather scary in the mountains when you are going uphill. Make the luggage racks have a place where you can tie things down.

Great bargain
By Luis

2009 Kia Borrego SUV EX 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I never was considering buying a Kia but saw an ad with the borregos listed at a great price. I did some research on the borrego on the Internet and it got great reviews. I test drove it and was amazed at the vehicle. I have the 6 cly. It has great power and rides smooth. Turning radius is great. I have a Volvo xc90 and cars are similar except I paid almost $20,000 more for the Volvo. The Volvo has better leather and insulation for wind noise. Other than that I think the borrego is a great car for the price. Gas mileage could be better but it's a good size SUV. My Volvo gets a little better gas mileage but needs premium gas. Overall the borrego is a decent car for the price I paid.

Favorite Features

Power is great. Car feels peppy for it's size. Car came with good accessories and features.

Suggested Improvements

Make all windows auto one touch down and up. Definitely can live the way car has only drivers window one touch down.

yes it's a kia
By sallen

2009 Kia Borrego SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Just got it and very happy. The v6 has as much hp as my 4.7L. tundra. You can't beat the standard equipment that it comes with. The dealer was selling these for $11,000 under list, so couldn't go wrong. needed something that towed and it came ready to go. This is a "$40,000" domestic SUV and they still can't match the 10/100,000 war.Friend has '05 sportage with v6 that's going on 100,000 mi. and still going strong.(tows two wave runners to lake). Can't see buy any domestic SUV until they can match this one.

Favorite Features

duel zone a/c, tilting and moving back seats, cup holders everywhere,power of the V6 and 5000 lb.towing

Suggested Improvements

duel exhaust