2009 Kia Borrego SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Borrego model:
A Real Sleeper!
By adomaib on 06/11/13 09:37 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Borrego SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

We have been a KIA family since our first Sedona 12+ years ago and currently own a Soul and a Rio. I was always intrigued by the Borrego but timing, finances and and model availability never seemed to come together; until this Memorial Day. We bought a 2009 LX AWD 6 cylinder with 29000 miles. We immediately took off on a 1000 mile driving trip to Northern Minnesota for a week. The Borrego met our every expectation. It was comfortable, roomy for all our gear, quiet, and it handled much better than all the negative reviews about "rough ride" would lead you to expect. Acceleration with the 6 cylinder is more than brisk, and our gas mileage for the trip was 21.9.

best purchase ever 4x4 8cyl. EX Limited
By timotheo on 04/04/12 11:27 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Borrego SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I was considering an Explorer or 4Runner. The first car has failed everything: price, reliability, comfort handling etc. 4Runner limited is... didn't want to pay for another mortgage. Kia Borrego EX Limited has everything but listed at a great price. After research (and tons of positive reviews) I(6'3") test drove it and was amazed at the vehicle. I have the 8 cyl. It has great turning radius, power, rides smooth, size, comfortable heated seating for 6 or 7, 7,500 towing capacity, BMW transmission & other tons of bells and whistles. I drove it for over 3K with no problems by now. I think the Borrego is a great car for the price. Mileage is 16.7 mpg combined avg but I don’t drive HW much.

Wonderful!!!
By asiel1 on 08/27/11 13:12 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Borrego SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first SUV. I purchased it last November after my car was totaled. We have driven this car home to Louisiana (8 hours) Jacksonville Fl (13) and Colorado Springs(13).-- one way trips. The car drove beautifully and was comfortable for my three kids. - 18,13, and 10. The only complaint I have had is shifiting into gear in the mountains, it drags a bit. -- and occasionally the downhill and traction control button comes on, but other than that nothing. The hankook tires are okay, but wear out quickly--41,000 for me and will be replaced with Michelins. All in all, I love this car. buy one and never look back. I plan on driving mine for years!

Great bargain
By Luis on 11/26/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Kia Borrego SUV EX 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I never was considering buying a Kia but saw an ad with the borregos listed at a great price. I did some research on the borrego on the Internet and it got great reviews. I test drove it and was amazed at the vehicle. I have the 6 cly. It has great power and rides smooth. Turning radius is great. I have a Volvo xc90 and cars are similar except I paid almost $20,000 more for the Volvo. The Volvo has better leather and insulation for wind noise. Other than that I think the borrego is a great car for the price. Gas mileage could be better but it's a good size SUV. My Volvo gets a little better gas mileage but needs premium gas. Overall the borrego is a decent car for the price I paid.

yes it's a kia
By sallen on 10/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Borrego SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Just got it and very happy. The v6 has as much hp as my 4.7L. tundra. You can't beat the standard equipment that it comes with. The dealer was selling these for $11,000 under list, so couldn't go wrong. needed something that towed and it came ready to go. This is a "$40,000" domestic SUV and they still can't match the 10/100,000 war.Friend has '05 sportage with v6 that's going on 100,000 mi. and still going strong.(tows two wave runners to lake). Can't see buy any domestic SUV until they can match this one.

Great bang for buck
By mp on 08/19/10 16:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Borrego SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my kia in august of 09. I was debating between this and the pilot. I have been very happy with it this entire year and have not had a single problem. I get about 17/18 mpg, which is pretty good considering the size of the SUV. Great 3rd row with plenty of leg room for kids, a little tight for adults though. I also added running boards and a nav system for much cheaper than if you buy the limited version that comes with one.

Great SUV
By SC Dan on 07/02/10 07:47 AM (PDT)

2009 Kia Borrego SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

A great SUV with bad timing. Compare this with Honda pilot, Ford explorer, or the pathfinder and you will find that the borrego is inside and out. A better buy. Add to that the warranty and you can't go wrong. I hope Kia brings it back in 2011.

Best SUV for the money
By jmark23 on 05/25/10 18:28 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Borrego SUV EX 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

When comparing the V8 Borrego to other SUVs of this size, it is the best bang for the buck. We picked up a 2009 Borrego EX V8 which was driven by a KIA Rep for 6 months. He put 8,000 miles on it. The sticker price was $37,415 we paid $24,700 plus tax and title. Overall, very pleased. Strong acceleration, luxurious accommodations, great build quality. The suspension on ours is not to stiff for us. All in all, the best vehicle that I have ever had to date.

Borrego EX V6
By Sand Man on 05/21/10 19:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Borrego SUV EX 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I was coming out of a Leased Chevrolet Silverado and wanted to find a good buy on another lease. This was the ticket. I love the ride, pick up and the towing capability. I have had the SUV for a year and have yet to see another one on the road. I like that. I test drove the V8 but it has some lag in the take off. The V6 doesn't have any lag. It will put you back in your seat. I don't drive it hard just nice to know that the power is there when you need it.

Borrego a best buy!
By DMILL on 05/20/10 18:56 PM (PDT)

2009 Kia Borrego SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

After tracking down some that a dealer (3 hours away) still had on the lot, purchased it and drove 2000 miles in the mountains on vacation. Powerful, comfortable and easy to navigate. Tight turn radius and the other features make a Borrego better than what Ford, Chevy, Nissan, etc. have to offer. Have read that kia is bringing it back for 2011, an Oct/Nov 2010 release, hope this is true because this is truly a fine SUV. Warranty makes this a slam-dunk!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Kia Borrego Suv in NJ is:

$186 per month*