Used 2009 Kia Borrego Consumer Reviews - 55 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Kia Borrego - Consumer Reviews

2009 Kia Borrego

View reviews for a specific Borrego model:

Update
By LAJ

2009 Kia Borrego LX 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I drove this car for 91,000 miles and five years. It was a reliable, trustworthy car. Never gave me one issue with the engine. Always started. Inexpensive to maintain. At about 75k, things started breaking. The CD player quit working, the button for volume became tricky as well. The AC was not always great in the back,so sometimes we burned up on long trips. The Door locks broke, and the paint began chipping and flaking like crazy. Despite this, it was a great car mechanically. It was a trusty beast, and if not for the fact that my kids started moving out, I'd probably still drive the gas guzzler daily. It was just that reliable. Of course, I'd have to insure I did not lock the doors, or cared about having a car with paint, all while burning up and checking apps for cheap gas. It gets to ya, it's like a good old work truck that's ugly as Heck, but you went to your first job in it, so you keep it. I had a hard time trading it in. I kinda felt sorry for it. I guess that's what happens with good cars. I guess this is a great car if you just need to drive a little bit, or you have a kid who just needs to go back and forth to school, and gas moneys no big thing it they are safe. All in all, it's a reliable family hauler that's cheap to maintain. I truly believe someone can drive it 200k with very little issues. If that's all that matters to you, this is the car for you. Just make sure you never lock it or leave anything valuable in it. :)

Best Buy Ever! Super Reliable! No Issues!
By Kenneth

2009 Kia Borrego LX 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I got rid of my CTS and wanted to get into an SUV. I wanted either an Acura or Lexus, which is completely night and day from a Kia. As soon as I test drove it for the first time, sale rep advised me of the warranty and seen the price, I gave it a shot. My 2009 Kia Borrego EX has 134,000 miles and rides like a baby. All i've done was maintained with the oil changes, purchased new tires and that's it! Best deal ever!

A Real Sleeper!
By adomaib

2009 Kia Borrego LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

We have been a KIA family since our first Sedona
12+ years ago and currently own a Soul and a Rio.
I was always intrigued by the Borrego but timing, finances and and model availability never seemed to come together; until this Memorial Day.
We bought a 2009 LX AWD 6 cylinder with 29000 miles.
We immediately took off on a 1000 mile driving trip to Northern Minnesota for a week.

The Borrego met our every expectation.
It was comfortable, roomy for all our gear, quiet, and it handled much better than all the negative reviews about "rough ride" would lead you to expect.
Acceleration with the 6 cylinder is more than brisk, and our gas mileage for the trip was 21.9.

Roominess, quiet ride, comfortable, great visibility, good gas mileage, acceleration, solid feeling, towing capacity, audio system, the awesome copper colored paint job, interior fit and finish

None at this time!

best purchase ever 4x4 8cyl. EX Limited
By timotheo

2009 Kia Borrego EX 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I was considering an Explorer or 4Runner. The first car has failed everything: price, reliability, comfort handling etc. 4Runner limited is... didn't want to pay for another mortgage. Kia Borrego EX Limited has everything but listed at a great price. After research (and tons of positive reviews) I(6'3") test drove it and was amazed at the vehicle. I have the 8 cyl. It has great turning radius, power, rides smooth, size, comfortable heated seating for 6 or 7, 7,500 towing capacity, BMW transmission & other tons of bells and whistles. I drove it for over 3K with no problems by now. I think the Borrego is a great car for the price. Mileage is 16.7 mpg combined avg but I don’t drive HW much.

Comfort(roomy), power, look and style,heated seats, room for second and 3rd row, price... everything

After I saved tons of money, I bought new Michelins Lattitude Tour tires. The car feels even better now.

Wonderful!!!
By asiel1

This is my first SUV.
I purchased it last November after my car was totaled. We have driven this car home to Louisiana (8 hours) Jacksonville Fl (13) and Colorado Springs(13).-- one way trips.
The car drove beautifully and was comfortable for my three kids. - 18,13, and 10.
The only complaint I have had is shifiting into gear in
the mountains, it drags a bit.
-- and occasionally the downhill and traction control button comes on, but other than that nothing.
The hankook tires are okay, but wear out quickly--41,000 for me and will be replaced with Michelins.

All in all, I love this car.
buy one and never look back.
I plan on driving mine for years!

V6 engine, I had a four cylinder before. The size is great, third row seat wonderful for my 10 year old daughter it's her "spot".

Bring it back. It's a great family car. Get rid of the RWD and make them all AWD. It's crappy in ice-- dangerous! fix the transmission issues it's rather scary in the mountains when you are going uphill. Make the luggage racks have a place where you can tie things down.