Used 2005 Kia Amanti Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Kia Amanti - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.5L V6 5-speed Automatic - (152 reviews )

Mirror Problems
By Oscar Zuniga

2005 Kia Amanti 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I own a Kia 2005 Amanti and have always had problems with the side mirrors. The vehicle is equipped with switches that preset the seats and mirrors. Unfortunately, the mirrors do not go back to what you preset. That means that you have to constantly readjust the the mirrors. I'm taking the vehicle to the dealer today, but it looks like other Kia Amanti owners have had problems with the mirrors and have just been given the run around by the dealers based on what I am reading on the internet. If you like AM radio, don't get this vehicle. AM reception is terrible.

Favorite Features

Heated seats and defrost for the back window and mirrors are good features

Suggested Improvements

Kia should seriously look into the mirror issue.

Not Happy
By Not happy

2005 Kia Amanti 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

When I first got the car I was very excited. It was my first luxury car and every thing was great until after the first week. The radio stopped working and I tried to get it fixed but the dealership I got it from was not very helpful. I had to go to someone else to get anything done. The radio has been fine until the past month when the speakers started to go again and I never listen to my music loud. Other electronics are malfunctioning too, like my side mirrors and my seat. Every time I get in my car I have to readjust them because the just move on them own. The power steering also goes when it rains and the mechanic couldn't tel me why. Can't believe a 2005 has so many issues!

Favorite Features

I love how comfortable the inside of the car is.

Suggested Improvements

Fix all of the electronics so they actually work and are reliable!

Another transmission and front end noise
By dan

2005 Kia Amanti 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After another highway trip of 1200 miles the transmission has gone bad again ! The service manager hears the noise and has to get with Kia on it! It needs another one and this will make the third one and the front end creaking and sounds like its falling apart has been fixed twice also, with all new everything in front. They say they can do nothing else for it! It must be a lemon car !Waiting again to see if they will fix it, it only has 27,000 miles on it. Will let everyone know what happens. I'm on here earlier and posted problems

Favorite Features

getting less each week

Suggested Improvements

need different transmission and front end. after twice with all new stuff and the problem not solved you think they would take it back and let us get something else

Love hate relationship
By wmscott

2005 Kia Amanti 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car for the wife. We both love the car. The fit finish and comfort are great. The gas mileage is terrible. The cost of maintaining the car has been far too high. I seem to have to buy several new headlights a year at around $80 a pop. Just had the mandatory 60K service and the tab was $1,300. Replaced the timing belt as recommended. The belt had zero sign of wear on it and will not do it again at 120K if we still have it. They will make you buy a new hydraulic tensioner when they do the job. They charge me $189 for that very simple device. Overall cost of maintenance is out of control and my make me shy away from another KIA in the future. Transaxle had to be replaced at 39K.

Favorite Features

Sound system, quiet ride, comfortable seats, huge trunk

Suggested Improvements

Drop the electric throttle. Doesn't stick but it does lag a lot. Put a modern V-6 in it so it does not cost so much to maintain and gets better gas mileage. Otherwise we both still love the car.

Unhappy Owner in New York/Florida
By Sprinterny

2005 Kia Amanti 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have been very disappointed. The first week of ownership I needed two tows in Florida. I immediately purchased a new battery when stranded a second time. The seats are rock hard and the seat belt buckle cuts into my hip. Then car had some kind of transmission burning and needed a transmission replacement. I was first towed and paid $300 to recover my car. I have to drive 80 miles to the closest dealer in upstate NY. After waxing the car about 4 times in 2 years the exterior paint job is looking shabby.The car always stalls out.The replaced transmission hesitates for 4 seconds and then jerks. It gets a horrible 11 to 17 mpg. The tires need replacing at 27,000 mile. The brakes need work now

Favorite Features

Stereo system only which pops on and off by itself.

Suggested Improvements

Cushioned seats that are wider and bounce back for comfort. More leg room. Better gas mileage by far. My much heavier huge 8 cyl. Grand Marquis get better mileage. No transmission failure. Seat buckle that can be adjusted better then choking and cutting into my hips.