2nd JK Owner
By orange06 on
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 6M)
5 months and 5000 miles later, I'm still excited to wake up every morning to drive my Jeep. Traded in a 2010 Unlimited Sport (auto) for the new 2012 Sport (6 speed). Instant upgrade in power and cabin presence. It's a little squirrely at highway speeds compared to the 4 door. If you have kids, the getting in and out of a 2 door is work. I'd think twice if this was your primary vehicle. I'm one leg in, one leg out to belt my 5 year old in, my wife climbs in to do it. Passenger side only. Great price point of $22k for a base sport. Don't let the looks of a Rubicon/Special Edition suck you in. If you aren't going to wheel it regularly, you're wasting 10 grand.
Favorite Features
Doorless & topless in minutes, makes 19 MPG feel good. The 2 door soft top takes practice, highly recommend watching a youtube video. There are secrets (unhooking sail panel to insert/remove rear window, slide rear window on bar to zip, etc). The soft top is easier in the 4 door thanks to the side rails to guide the user. It's tight work on the 2 door. More aftermarket parts available than you would know what to do with. My $22k Jeep looks better than the $39k MW3 edition with the simple addition of $1500 in new wheels/33" tires.
Suggested Improvements
The 2 door soft top can be a challenge, not as smooth as the 4 door. PRACTICE. I know we're in the technical age, but I like to read the owners manual. Don't make it a DVD quicky only. PDF Format won't help me on the side of the road. Those 16" steel wheels are ugly, too small for the Jeep body (planned that?) and very hard to resell.