Used 2012 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Do Not Buy
By sunlover1

2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I ordered my Wrangler Rubicon & waited 6 weeks for my very first Jeep to come in. Within the first 6 months I had a transmission fuel line rub and loose all its fluid. I was accused of *gasp* running it off road. I had NOT driven this vehicle off road, it had only 3000 miles & sat mainly in my garage waiting it's first WV trip. It was bad line placement. Now I have 16k miles and it has been in the shop twice in the last 2 weeks for check engine light. They tell me they need to replace the entire left head and they will have it for several days. On an 18 month old vehicle. That is mainly driven by a women with her dogs to the beach or family trips to our WV mountain retreat, not off road.

I love the electric start but with the check engine light on it does not work. I also like the locking differentials and the fact I can put the vehicle in 4 wheel drive when i need it not the car thinks I need it

Build a Better more Reliable Car

2012 JKU Rubicon
By stylee6

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

Excellent vehicle

2013 Wrangler Sport
By bomstead

2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

Finally sold my beloved 97 Wrangler Sport rag top and bought a 2013 Wrangler Sport with the T-Hard Top. My new Wrangler Sport has pretty much all the bells and whistles of a Rubicon, but for $15k less. Notably missing are the electric disconnect on the sway bar and the 4:1 Low range 4WD. Who cares? My Low range 4WD is something besides 4:1. Big deal. Took the back seat out of the last one, probably will with this one too. If you're at all interested in a Jeep, go to any dealer with lots of models and compare features and prices. You can get a loaded Wrangler Sport pretty cheap compared to a base Sahara or Rubicon - if you don't mind fabric seats. Drive one and you'll be hooked.

Sits high, short turning radius, unbelievable on ice or snow, FUN. Not at all like my wife's Fusion. The center console will hold a 6-pack and ice.

Can't suggest any.

The Last Car
By robertolive

2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I call this "the last car" because I will never drive anything else. That said, it is not a "car" as much as a street legal toy. A giant go-cart. The feeling of driving a jeep is incomparable, but certainly not for everyone. In fact, if you even have to debate whether you should; then you probably shouldn't. If you are comfortable, however, with the idea of changing a heavy stubborn top (hard or soft), having little freeway acceleration, and generally driving a giant go-cart; then this is the car for you! You have to be prepared to think of your Jeep as a street-legal toy to really appreciate it. (Also, get the manual transmission or just get yourself a minivan)

Off-road ability (duh). Convertible top. Reliability. Sense of freedom and adventure every time you drive. It really is an experience.

None that I can think of. There again, if you know what you are getting into, then you really can't complain about the downsides of jeep ownership.

By Far the Most Fun Vehicle I've Ever Owned!
By hsteff

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I'm a first time Jeep owner & I bought a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon because I've always wanted a convertible and also wanted a vehicle that could handle almost any off road trail and occasional deep snow. This past summer, I removed my hardtop and 4 doors and had my Wrangler in “topless mode” for 12 weeks—it was the best summer I’ve had in years. This fall, I participated in the 25th Ouray CO Jeep Jamboree where I learned how to properly drive my Jeep on mountain trails & was utterly amazed on how well engineered & tough Jeeps are to handle the wilderness to include traversing over fields of small boulders.

Ultimate convertible that's like riding on a 4-wheel Harley Davidson that can go absolutely anywhere. Ability to traverse extremely rough terrain that most other vehicles couldn’t handle. A quality product made in USA. Huge COOL factor... I've lost count on the number of people that have told me how awesome my Wrangler is when in topless/convertible mode.

Stereo does not remain set to mp3/auxillary after shutting off the vehicle. Checked my local dealer & was told this is just how it is. Gas cap is exposed. Wish Wranglers would come with fuel filler door. I ended up having to purchase a MOPAR/Jeep filler door for ~$120.