Used 2012 Jeep Wrangler SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Jeep Wrangler SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

awesome
By rvnclaw22

2012 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

i thought that the car had a little comfort issues but it was amazing.

not great
By jshhand

2012 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I ended up selling my wrangler after 3 years. I had numerous issues with the heat. Specifically the heater core,oil cooler and radiator. I had them all replaced under warranty. The heat never did work properly on the vehicle. I did like the look of the jeep. It towed my boat well. I don't know if I trust the 285hp . It always felt under-powered. Unfortunately It was rough on the road, had very little storage and was incredibly slow on the road. I would give this vehicle a honest rating of 3 out of 10. I would not purchase again. although it did have amazing resale.....

ground clearance, good all around vehicle, nothing else like it.

fuel milage, seat comfort, the manual transmission needs some serious dampening.

Improvements for Future Years
By oldcoastie74

2012 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned my Rubicon Unlimited (automatic) for 33 months and 45000 miles, in Colorado, where snow and OHV roads have tested it. I am still in love with it. My wife, a BMW driver, hates it and refuses to drive it. (Breaking my heart, ha ha.) Only complaints were the transmission cooler (see below) and the leather front seat needed repair. I will likely keep this for 10 more years!

Automatic 5 speed transmission, folding rear seats, front suspension (it is still in perfect alignment despite lots of abuse).

1) The GPS needs more back country roads in its memory. It needs to display MPH (a must for vehicles that change tire sizes as much as Jeep owners do.) The unit needs a rear-view camera integrated with the GPS display. 2) A must - since it has a transmission cooler, there must be a way to check fluid, add fluid and warn you when fluid is low. Before the recall was installed, my fluid was lost twice, fortunately each time in the local neighborhood and not on Argentine Pass. 3) Better quality scissor jack 4) The main dash unit needs to tell you what gear you are in, not just Drive. I have downshifted into second or first many times, thinking I was in a higher gear. Not good for engine.

Great all-around family car
By derbs24

2012 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

Bought one of the first 2012 in fall of 2011 for $37K. 3.6 Pentastar was worth waiting for. Have Avg 20mpg over 74,000 miles. Have gotten 24mpg on multiple road trips from WI to FL. Wife drives it daily 50mi roundtrip for work and she still loves it! Not the most comfortable, not the quietest but it is a Wrangler. Freeedom top is awesome, we leave the hard top on and just pop the front 2 panels for sun. Had the cylinder head issue, but dealer fixed no problem, no drama with free rental. Love the looks, love the image (kinda like riding a Harley). Just got some trade numbers and dealer offered us $27,000 to trade on a new Wrangler. Resale second to none.

Resale, looks, reliability, capabilities.

Keep making it quieter and more refined.

Fun to drive, but waiting for something to go wrong
By new_jeep_own1

2012 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I live in a snowy area and wanted a 4wd vehicle. It's great on snowy surfaces under 35. On the freeway the vehicle whips around badly from the wind @ higher speeds which negates any 4wd benefit. Then there's the quality. The ceiling screws in the hardtop gradually come loose no matter how hard I screw them in. The check engine light turned on @ 22k. It stayed on for a week, shut off, then turned on again. I took it to the dealer where I was told the CPU indicated it needs a new Cylinder Head. Their solution was run a "Flash Update" to shut it off and see if the light comes back on. It came back on same day. When everything is working, it's very fun to drive.

Fun car to drive. Good pick up. Removable top.

Poor performance in high wind w/ or w/o the 4wd. Terrible build quality so far through 25k miles. Complimentary loaners weren't offered during the warranty work so I had to pick up the rental car which was annoying. Poor customer service at the dealer after the purchase. Needless to say, I am dreading to see what is going to go wrong on it when the warranty is up.