Used 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Improvements for Future Years
By oldcoastie74

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned my Rubicon Unlimited (automatic) for 33 months and 45000 miles, in Colorado, where snow and OHV roads have tested it. I am still in love with it. My wife, a BMW driver, hates it and refuses to drive it. (Breaking my heart, ha ha.) Only complaints were the transmission cooler (see below) and the leather front seat needed repair. I will likely keep this for 10 more years!

Automatic 5 speed transmission, folding rear seats, front suspension (it is still in perfect alignment despite lots of abuse).

1) The GPS needs more back country roads in its memory. It needs to display MPH (a must for vehicles that change tire sizes as much as Jeep owners do.) The unit needs a rear-view camera integrated with the GPS display. 2) A must - since it has a transmission cooler, there must be a way to check fluid, add fluid and warn you when fluid is low. Before the recall was installed, my fluid was lost twice, fortunately each time in the local neighborhood and not on Argentine Pass. 3) Better quality scissor jack 4) The main dash unit needs to tell you what gear you are in, not just Drive. I have downshifted into second or first many times, thinking I was in a higher gear. Not good for engine.

2012 JKU Rubicon
By stylee6

Excellent vehicle

By Far the Most Fun Vehicle I've Ever Owned!
By hsteff

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I'm a first time Jeep owner & I bought a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon because I've always wanted a convertible and also wanted a vehicle that could handle almost any off road trail and occasional deep snow. This past summer, I removed my hardtop and 4 doors and had my Wrangler in “topless mode” for 12 weeks—it was the best summer I’ve had in years. This fall, I participated in the 25th Ouray CO Jeep Jamboree where I learned how to properly drive my Jeep on mountain trails & was utterly amazed on how well engineered & tough Jeeps are to handle the wilderness to include traversing over fields of small boulders.

Ultimate convertible that's like riding on a 4-wheel Harley Davidson that can go absolutely anywhere. Ability to traverse extremely rough terrain that most other vehicles couldn’t handle. A quality product made in USA. Huge COOL factor... I've lost count on the number of people that have told me how awesome my Wrangler is when in topless/convertible mode.

Stereo does not remain set to mp3/auxillary after shutting off the vehicle. Checked my local dealer & was told this is just how it is. Gas cap is exposed. Wish Wranglers would come with fuel filler door. I ended up having to purchase a MOPAR/Jeep filler door for ~$120.

Is this really legal?
By georgiadog69

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I just bought a 2012 Unlimited Rubicon. So far, I love it. Don't get hung up on the reviews. It's a Jeep. It should be no surprise that it doesn't ride or perform like a luxury sedan. One thing buyers should be cautioned about though is that Jeeps do not come with an owner's manual. Is it just me, or is it absolutely absurd that a $40,000 vehicle, or any vehicle for that matter would not come with an owner's manual. If you want one you have to buy one from the Jeep website for $50.00! How can that possibly be legal? At a minimum it is pathetically cheap. Jeep is cheap!

Fun is standard.

For crying out loud include an owner's manual!

CARGASM!!
By 006_si

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

This Wrangler is a definite 'keeper'. You don't buy this for your kid, you give him/her your current car and keep this puppy for yourself! Power out the wazoo, peerless offroad credentials, and an interior that could put a Mercedes K-wagen to shame. Plus, you can take the freakin' top off, and the doors, AND THEN drop the windshield! Unbelievable!

Everything! From the GPS, to the heated leather seats, to the dismountable bodywork, to the wilds of Utah... there is nothing about this vehicle that is anything less than outstanding.

There is no practical way you could ever improve this vehicle. If you can see any imperfections, then it's not a failing of the Wrangler, it's merely a failing in your own ability to perceive purity of design.