Used 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2012 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Fun to drive, but waiting for something to go wrong
By new_jeep_own1

2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I live in a snowy area and wanted a 4wd vehicle. It's great on snowy surfaces under 35. On the freeway the vehicle whips around badly from the wind @ higher speeds which negates any 4wd benefit. Then there's the quality. The ceiling screws in the hardtop gradually come loose no matter how hard I screw them in. The check engine light turned on @ 22k. It stayed on for a week, shut off, then turned on again. I took it to the dealer where I was told the CPU indicated it needs a new Cylinder Head. Their solution was run a "Flash Update" to shut it off and see if the light comes back on. It came back on same day. When everything is working, it's very fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Fun car to drive. Good pick up. Removable top.

Suggested Improvements

Poor performance in high wind w/ or w/o the 4wd. Terrible build quality so far through 25k miles. Complimentary loaners weren't offered during the warranty work so I had to pick up the rental car which was annoying. Poor customer service at the dealer after the purchase. Needless to say, I am dreading to see what is going to go wrong on it when the warranty is up.

Finally back in a Jeep Wrangler!
By jackcolton

2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I custom ordered a 2012 Black Jeep Wrangler Sahara (6-Speed), and finally took delivery 2 weeks ago. This thing is awesome! I've owned a 1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, and this one is substantially better in every way. Build quality feels strong and as if it will last a very long time. A few things... 1) Don't buy a Jeep Wrangler without test driving and loving everything about it. If you have a big smile on your face each time, you are good to go. 2) There is at least $4,000 or so in markup, so do your shopping research and negotiate. Mine stickered at $32,500, got it for $27,800. 3) So far in city driving I'm getting about 320 miles per tank. 4) Custom ordering took 7 weeks.

Favorite Features

Love the upgraded interior, new Penstar (?) engine, transmission is very tight, gas mileage is better than my previous Wrangler, and overall how very solidly built everything feels.

Suggested Improvements

1. I'd continue to work on fuel efficiency. 2. Install the Aux input somewhere in the middle console. Having a wire hang from the dash is a little silly. 3. Wranglers are still very easy for thieves and idiots to mess with. I'd add a hood release latch so that you can't just flip the hood snaps and have access to everything. Also, a locking / or switch released fuel door.

Fun car but
By strman

2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I bought the 2012 Wrangler Sahara. So far I'm happy with the vehicle but it does have it's quirks. I have the soft top and this rag is a very poor fitting nightmare. You will bust up your hands just to get the back window in place and I'm cursing the designer of this top every time I put it back up. It already has small holes tearing in the top and it is only a month old. The transmission and engine feel great though. I've spent the past 6 years driving a Subaru OutbackXT. The Subaru is a lot smoother and quicker and actually does better on the beach than this new Wrangler. Driving 2000 miles now mileage is around 20 highway and 16.4 around town. There are no skid plates around engine

Favorite Features

Engine and transmission feel like they are mated very well. I have the 5 speed auto. Edmunds did not have an auto category for the review. Good heater and air and i love the vents! Very good stereo.

Suggested Improvements

If you are going to call it an off roader, it needs skid plates protecting the engine. Oil pan is fully exposed! It has no undercoating so i expect this car to rust quickly. I bought the anti-spin differential but this thing has poor traction on wet roads or dry sand. Jeep needs to improve the top. It fits poorly and difficult to put up. With top up, rain pours inside when you crack the door or window.