Used 2009 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Niche Product Delivers Fun Times
By pennfootball71

2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This is not a car to drive to the grocery store and bring your Grandmother/Mother/Sister/Wife/Girlfriend/Mistress! This is s purpose built "offroad" vehicle with some garnish of comfort. The Navigation system is excellent and leaves "crumbs" to find your way back on an unmarked trail. The 4WD system is best in low range when you lock the front and rear differentials. Do not skimp and get a cheaper Wrangler, you truly get what you pay for with the Rubicon model with beefier axles, better gearing, offroad tires, differentials, and an electronic disconnecting anti roll bar for better wheel articulation.

Easy to wash! Freedom Top is remarkably refined and easy to take off. Bumpy ride quality to fend off the fluff. Fantastic brakes with thick rotors. Buttery smooth shifting automatic.

More powerful"Phoenix" V6 they are going to use in the 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee. V8's would make it too front heavy the V6 has better weight packaging behind the front axle.

Great Choice
By AZPops

2009 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first Jeep, within a few days of taking delivery I took it on a 500 mile drive and I can say that it was a pleasure to drive. The 6 speed manual trans was very smooth. The soft top buffered quite a bit doing 70 to 75 mph when the cross winds were strong and with my window open (but, would like to add that I did not purchase this vehicle for the highway). Even with some strong desert cross winds the Jeep was very stable and sure footed. The AC worked extremely well in the 100 plus degree weather, on the highway and in the city. I did add the 17 inch aluminum wheels to the deal, which gave the Jeep a little more ground clearance and gave it a better look.

Simplicity of the total package, very cohesive in design in regards to what a Jeep is all about. The stock stereo works just fine for me with the speaker well placed (more then enough volume).

Better fuel milage may help but, it is a 6 cyl so one can expect it to use more fuel (?). I hope I said this right...LOL Other then that none so far.

3rd, but favorite Jeep!
By sjs21

2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Amazing Jeep, the best design yet by far!

4wd, freedom hard top, looks.

diesel engine in the US, offer larger engine sizes, bring back the 4.0L

First JEEP! Sahara Unlimtd 4x4 Automatic
By Big Al Choo

2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Wanted one since high school but avid Consumer Reports guy and always drove Hondas and Toyotas. Not so good Consumer Reports ratings for Wrangler but hey, had to have one to see annd experience for myself! So far, so good. Top rating: FUN TO DRIVE! Folks, there's no other 4 door convertible out there and with 2 kids, this is the one that has room to haul the youngsters and the weekend gear! Topless driving is a breeze with the sunrider soft top. Undo the rain flaps and some clamps, and in 5 minutes you have a massive sunroof open to the passenger row. The complete removal takes 2 people and 15 minutes though. Outdoor free air driving: PRICELESS.

Driving topless! The ride is surprisingly smooth for a true 4x4. Creature comforts of sirius radio, power doors and windows, remote lock, side rails all standard. Drove a Honda CRV EX before, ride is comparable. Love the speakers built into the top roof bar. Subwoofer also standard.

Mileage only avg. 16 mpg with this automatic. Probably 19 highway but that's it. 200 horses still slow for its weight but not in it for speed. In for enjoying the topless driving! Suggest doors and trunk that have hydraulics so they stay open when you need them to. Better mileage would be a plus!

Great! And the Top Comes Off LOL!
By Dallas

2009 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

The ride is nothing what I expected from a Jeep!I have looked at every convertible that they make and just went by to LOOK at the Jeeps and after I drove it, I signed the papers the minute I stepped out of it! I absolutely LOVE my new Jeep! It is a beautiful piece of equipment and very easy to handle as well! My son is already calling dibs when he starts driving! So I am the coolest mom in town LOL! I have not yet taken it off road, but I definitely plan on driving it up and down the beach!

I would have to say the fact that you can just take the front 2 panels of the hard top off. You still get the feeling of being one with Mother Nature! And it is BEAUTIFUL!

I would like to see better MPG! Going from a 24 MPG to a 16 MPG is quite a difference, but worth it!