Used 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Jeep Wrangler SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Mixed Feelings on our Bailout Buggy
By JDH

2009 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Got this bailout buggy in 4/09 and have 17,500 miles. The transmission went out at 14,000 miles and it's been a downward spiral ever since to the point that we are considering trading this in for something else. Before that, though, we loved the car. While performance is mediocre, nothing beats a topless Jeep in the summer. Keep the tops off, though, as long as possible since they were poorly designed and engineered. The hard top leaks consistently. Fuel economy is lackluster around town at 14 mpg, but shines on the freeway at 20 mpg at 75 mph. No complaints on the interior of the vehicle, so far. The Sahara model specifically has a smooth ride as well. Also, the 4x4 system is beyond great.

MyGig & Navigation System are flawless. The looks and intimidation of this vehicle in black alone remind me why I got this over an Escape. Handled excellently in the Arizona mountains & is great in the snow. The YesEssentials cloth seats are durable and great. I also like the center dash stack.

Whole new powertrain. Put a V8 in for Pete's sake. Automatic transmission needs to go. Four speeds is ancient now a days. Both should help out fuel economy since the car won't need to be floored to get to speed at a reasonable rate. Fix quality issues at the plant and don't leave it to the dealer.

Jeep Wrangler
By Dacoda

2009 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Had a 1995 Jeep Wrangler Sahara for 13 years. Bought the New 4 door and just love it. Now I find myself looking at the New 2011 Jeep Wrangler 4 door. They changed the inside and some more equipment. It is now your every day drive with comfort and extras and your off road toy. What a great way to get it all in one package.

Lots of room for my Golden and durable.

More horsepower, for us lead foots.

Gutless
By downtheroad

2009 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This 4 door unlimited with 4.10 and stock tires can't move itself down mostly flat roads and 20mph winds. The interior is extremely cheap. Tow rated for 3500, I couldn't pleasantly (by any means) tow my 350 lb motorcycle trailer with 1,000 lbs of motorcycle and gear on it. Guess I'll wait for the 2012 pentastar motor and then looked for a used 2 door later - hope they do something for the interior too. Nice to look at. Nice convertible options -- overall - I sold it 3 months after buying it!

Convertible, 4WD Rubicon system

engine, interior

Love it
By simplefello

2009 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I traded my 200 Silverado single cab z- 71 for this vehicle because of a growing family. I love the jeep and have ever since I rented one for a week. This thing gets so many looks and is very capable off road. I really love that it can fit two car seats in it and I can still feel like a real man...lol.

I love the 3-piece hard top, the axles and 4.10 gears. I also can't wait until it's lost its life as a family vehicle so I can transform it into something much more superior.

I would like to see a v-8, or even a larger v-6. I'm averaging about 15.7mpg, and would like to see that improved or stay the same with more power. My 5.3L vortec v8 got 14-15mpg and had way more power and was a heavier vehicle.

New To Jeep
By Rubi Rules

2009 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

We've owned numerous brands, various models. Traded a 4X4 Suburban for a Prius. We missed the off-road experiences and recently purchased the '09 Rubicon (kept the Prius, thank God). The Rubi was taken off-road immediately in the California desert. Buttes, sand, rock, highway, all very enjoyable. The side airbags were a must for our family. The Navi with it's "breadcrumb" feature is a plus. Music beats and movies move with the sound system. Very happy with the decision to buy this Jeep. v/r, br

Jeep's looks and Rubi's off-road ability. The vehicle in Orange Burst Orange is an eye-catcher. Oh, the tires survived razor-sharp rocks during 3 climbs of our favorite butte (2 other 4x4s I've brought there suffered flats and didn't make it to the top).

The Wrangler is known for its spartan features. That being said, this Rubi fits the bill and lacks nothing. Sure, comfort features could always be added. But at some point the Wrangler would no longer be a Wrangler. Buy it, ride it, enjoy it for what its made for. You'll never regret it.