2009 Jeep Wrangler SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
The Last Car.
By The Last Car on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I call this "the last car" because I will never drive anything else. That said, it is not a "car" as much as a street legal toy. A giant go-cart. The feeling of driving a jeep is incomparable, but certainly not for everyone. In fact, if you even have to debate whether you should; then you probably shouldn't. If you are comfortable, however, with the idea of changing a heavy stubborn top (hard or soft), having little freeway acceleration, and generally driving a giant go-cart; then this is the car for you! You have to be prepared to think of your Jeep as a street-legal toy to really appreciate it. (Also, get the manual transmission or just get yourself a minivan)

Mixed Feelings on our Bailout Buggy
By JDH on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Got this bailout buggy in 4/09 and have 17,500 miles. The transmission went out at 14,000 miles and it's been a downward spiral ever since to the point that we are considering trading this in for something else. Before that, though, we loved the car. While performance is mediocre, nothing beats a topless Jeep in the summer. Keep the tops off, though, as long as possible since they were poorly designed and engineered. The hard top leaks consistently. Fuel economy is lackluster around town at 14 mpg, but shines on the freeway at 20 mpg at 75 mph. No complaints on the interior of the vehicle, so far. The Sahara model specifically has a smooth ride as well. Also, the 4x4 system is beyond great.

Jeep Wrangler
By Dacoda on 10/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Had a 1995 Jeep Wrangler Sahara for 13 years. Bought the New 4 door and just love it. Now I find myself looking at the New 2011 Jeep Wrangler 4 door. They changed the inside and some more equipment. It is now your every day drive with comfort and extras and your off road toy. What a great way to get it all in one package.

Not So Sure About JEEP!
By Dawn on 09/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this vehicle new in Oct 2009. I have only put 9500 miles on it in a year. I just had to take it to the shop to have A LOT of work done to it. First there was a recall. I took it in for that and they found a right front axle leak. While I was waiting for the part to come in I had the oil changed and the guys at the oil place found a front differential leak, a rear differential leak, intake leak and also had to replace the steering shaft. The Chrysler place had to rebuild my rear end differential. It also kicks when it goes into first gear. I just got it back and it still does it! I think it will be going back again! I love my jeep but the quality of this vehicle is not good!

Off-road beast
By SFC EDWIN RAMOS on 09/04/10 14:11 PM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

The Jeep is not fast and the fuel economy is poor. But the Jeep wrangler, regardless of the trim, is the best off road vehicle that I have ever drive. My first experience was in the jungles of Panama. I saw a Jeep wrangler assigned to the us embassy negotiating hard terrain. After that I promised I would get one.

Spoiled brats won't like.
By Brian on 08/29/10 00:15 AM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited X 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Read some of the reviews on this forum, and from what I understand most of them don't understand what they got themselves into. Please don't consider buying a jeep unless you understand your purchase. You aren't buying a luxury car, you are buying one of the finest off roading, highly versatile vehicles on the road today. People that complain about water leaks probably don't understand how to correctly install their top. All and all this is an awesome vehicle to own.

Fun junk
By 09jeep on 08/10/10 03:33 AM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This thing is a fun. There is nothing like being able to drive with no roof and no doors, no other new vehicle can do that. Not to mention the offroad capability, which is also unmatched. Having said that, this is the worst vehicle I've ever owned. 7000 miles and the clutch has gone bad 3 times. (throwout bearing noise - common problem) Also leaking hardtop, lots of other small problems. Cheap materials and build quality everywhere you look. Check out some JK wrangler forums, mine isn't the only one with issues. "It's a jeep thing" doesn't change the fact that $30,000 ought to get you a better vehicle than this.

My first Jeep
By 09JPX on 05/14/10 00:22 AM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I have always wanted to buy myself a Jeep. I finally got a job where I could afford to get what I wanted. Although it is a much different driving experience than my Honda Accord, it is so much more fun to drive. I have taken it off roading just once so far. Waiting for summer to take the top off and keep it off. And I also would like to do some upgrades to it. It is taking me a while to get used to all the gas that it guzzles, but it is a JEEP. Looking forward to driving up into the mountains for fishing and camping this summer. All in all, I am very happy with my purchase.

18 months later, not one complaint
By greysmoke on 04/24/10 14:30 PM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 3rd Jeep Wrangler. The first was a '95; great fun. Then an '00; even better. The '09 4-door is a Jeep for grownups. The longer wheelbase makes for a much more comfortable ride. They've made the new ones much wider, too. I'm not completely sold on the 3.8 V6, but so far, so good. Most important points: (1) It's a Jeep. (2) Nothing has gone wrong. I've not had any work done on this Jeep except for fluid changes. For experienced Jeep owners, this model is much more civilized than what you're used to. For those new to a Jeep, be warned: it's still a real Jeep, and that means it's not going to suit everybody.

blast
By gtrbt01 on 03/24/10 17:51 PM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This my 2nd unlimited 1st 2007 2wd Sahara 53k no problems, this one 09 4wd Sahara and love it 18 mpg city 20 hwy has both tops changing to soft now for spring so much better than old wranglers. I had no water leaks at all with either and I believe people arn't realizing its a Jeep not a Acura SUV, but the ride is outstanding, very satisfied but do worry about Chrysler rep. Has decent pwr but a small v8 would be great, mine even has leather seating I wouldn't have wanted but its worked out fine nice quality

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Suv in VA is:

$111 per month*