Used 2009 Jeep Wrangler SUV Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Jeep Wrangler SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Great Fun but Time to Move On
By Rascula

2009 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 09 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara in June of 2009 and will be honest for the most part it was a great vehicle. It did what I needed it to do getting me wherever I needed to be, protecting my children and I when we were hit by a drunk driver from behind at nearly 40 miles per hour, and the touch screen radio with GPS and HDD were wonderful to have for getting to places and not having a vehicle cluttered with CD's. I rarely took my front top panels off but when I did everyone loved it (cant say how heavy or difficult the back portion was as I never removed it).
My torque converter did go bad at 42K miles (thankfully I bought the lifetime warranty on the vehicle which in and of itself paid for the tranny issue), I had to replace the brakes at 65K miles with the rear passenger side shoe sticking and needing a-lot of work, the door hinge bushings were starting to go bad, and finally the O2 sensors (which there are 4 of) went bad twice.
I did truly love the vehicle. Visibility was great, the ride was smooth for a 4x4 and it was easy to handle. My main reason for getting rid of it is that the gas mileage is lower than I would have liked and I travel a-lot. I never got more than 21 mpg on the highway (and roughly 50k of the 75k miles I put on it were highway).
If you want a fun 4X4 and can get past the lack of mpg and a little less than desirable power the 2009 was a good vehicle (at least for me).

The Last Car.
By The Last Car

2009 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I call this "the last car" because I will never drive anything else. That said, it is not a "car" as much as a street legal toy. A giant go-cart. The feeling of driving a jeep is incomparable, but certainly not for everyone. In fact, if you even have to debate whether you should; then you probably shouldn't. If you are comfortable, however, with the idea of changing a heavy stubborn top (hard or soft), having little freeway acceleration, and generally driving a giant go-cart; then this is the car for you! You have to be prepared to think of your Jeep as a street-legal toy to really appreciate it. (Also, get the manual transmission or just get yourself a minivan)

Off-road ability (duh). Convertible top. Reliability. Sense of freedom and adventure every time you drive. It really is an experience.

None that I can think of. There again, if you know what you are getting into, then you really can't complain about the downsides of jeep ownership.

Mixed Feelings on our Bailout Buggy
By JDH

2009 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Got this bailout buggy in 4/09 and have 17,500 miles. The transmission went out at 14,000 miles and it's been a downward spiral ever since to the point that we are considering trading this in for something else. Before that, though, we loved the car. While performance is mediocre, nothing beats a topless Jeep in the summer. Keep the tops off, though, as long as possible since they were poorly designed and engineered. The hard top leaks consistently. Fuel economy is lackluster around town at 14 mpg, but shines on the freeway at 20 mpg at 75 mph. No complaints on the interior of the vehicle, so far. The Sahara model specifically has a smooth ride as well. Also, the 4x4 system is beyond great.

MyGig & Navigation System are flawless. The looks and intimidation of this vehicle in black alone remind me why I got this over an Escape. Handled excellently in the Arizona mountains & is great in the snow. The YesEssentials cloth seats are durable and great. I also like the center dash stack.

Whole new powertrain. Put a V8 in for Pete's sake. Automatic transmission needs to go. Four speeds is ancient now a days. Both should help out fuel economy since the car won't need to be floored to get to speed at a reasonable rate. Fix quality issues at the plant and don't leave it to the dealer.

Jeep Wrangler
By Dacoda

2009 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Had a 1995 Jeep Wrangler Sahara for 13 years. Bought the New 4 door and just love it. Now I find myself looking at the New 2011 Jeep Wrangler 4 door. They changed the inside and some more equipment. It is now your every day drive with comfort and extras and your off road toy. What a great way to get it all in one package.

Lots of room for my Golden and durable.

More horsepower, for us lead foots.

Not So Sure About JEEP!
By Dawn

2009 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this vehicle new in Oct 2009. I have only put 9500 miles on it in a year. I just had to take it to the shop to have A LOT of work done to it. First there was a recall. I took it in for that and they found a right front axle leak. While I was waiting for the part to come in I had the oil changed and the guys at the oil place found a front differential leak, a rear differential leak, intake leak and also had to replace the steering shaft. The Chrysler place had to rebuild my rear end differential. It also kicks when it goes into first gear. I just got it back and it still does it! I think it will be going back again! I love my jeep but the quality of this vehicle is not good!

I like the color!

It needs to have more power and the quality is horrible! Needs lots of improvement! I think I will be checking into the Lemon Law also.