Used 2009 Jeep Wrangler X Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2009 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Most Helpful|
Fun junk
By 09jeep

2009 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This thing is a fun. There is nothing like being able to drive with no roof and no doors, no other new vehicle can do that. Not to mention the offroad capability, which is also unmatched. Having said that, this is the worst vehicle I've ever owned. 7000 miles and the clutch has gone bad 3 times. (throwout bearing noise - common problem) Also leaking hardtop, lots of other small problems. Cheap materials and build quality everywhere you look. Check out some JK wrangler forums, mine isn't the only one with issues. "It's a jeep thing" doesn't change the fact that $30,000 ought to get you a better vehicle than this.

Favorite Features

Big fun factor, nothing like it. Unique looks, great capability off road, topless and doorless driving. Huge aftermarket. Maybe mine is just a lemon.

Suggested Improvements

Horrible quality and poor reliability in my experience. Also customer service in service department was poor at two different dealers- once took 19 days to change a clutch?

The Last Car.
By The Last Car

2009 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I call this "the last car" because I will never drive anything else. That said, it is not a "car" as much as a street legal toy. A giant go-cart. The feeling of driving a jeep is incomparable, but certainly not for everyone. In fact, if you even have to debate whether you should; then you probably shouldn't. If you are comfortable, however, with the idea of changing a heavy stubborn top (hard or soft), having little freeway acceleration, and generally driving a giant go-cart; then this is the car for you! You have to be prepared to think of your Jeep as a street-legal toy to really appreciate it. (Also, get the manual transmission or just get yourself a minivan)

Favorite Features

Off-road ability (duh). Convertible top. Reliability. Sense of freedom and adventure every time you drive. It really is an experience.

Suggested Improvements

None that I can think of. There again, if you know what you are getting into, then you really can't complain about the downsides of jeep ownership.

Off-road beast
By SFC EDWIN RAMOS

2009 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

The Jeep is not fast and the fuel economy is poor. But the Jeep wrangler, regardless of the trim, is the best off road vehicle that I have ever drive. My first experience was in the jungles of Panama. I saw a Jeep wrangler assigned to the us embassy negotiating hard terrain. After that I promised I would get one.

Favorite Features

Big fun factor, great off road capability, unique looks, topless and doorless driving. Unstoppable in the snow. Great consumer support.

Suggested Improvements

Improve fuel economy, put better off road and rim.

I Will Always Own A Jeep
By jeepguy

2009 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This is my second Jeep, I leased a 2007. This one I purchased. I have the same complaints as before: Terrible mileage, performance, wind noise, even low highway speeds can be a test of will. Did I mention an interior that is 20 years out of style and very poor handling as well. All that being said, this is still the best car I have ever owned since my last Jeep. I still can not explain it. I can only tell you, you must own one to understand. They really are the most fun you can have driving short of a Ferrari.

Favorite Features

It does what it was meant to do well.

Suggested Improvements

More interior compartments/storage.

My first Jeep
By 09JPX

2009 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I have always wanted to buy myself a Jeep. I finally got a job where I could afford to get what I wanted. Although it is a much different driving experience than my Honda Accord, it is so much more fun to drive. I have taken it off roading just once so far. Waiting for summer to take the top off and keep it off. And I also would like to do some upgrades to it. It is taking me a while to get used to all the gas that it guzzles, but it is a JEEP. Looking forward to driving up into the mountains for fishing and camping this summer. All in all, I am very happy with my purchase.

Favorite Features

Hard top, upgraded stereo system w/6 disc changer and subwoofer. Off road capabilities.

Suggested Improvements

gas, a little more comfort features inside.