2008 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Review: This thing grows on you

2008 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Review

This thing grows on you
By Jon on

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I worry about driving my kids around in this.. What happens if we rollover? Would we be cut to shreds by a disintegrating hard-top ? Not my first choice. But my kids LOVE it. I like the utilitarian interior. 6- speed transmission is OK and fun to operate. Reasonable acceleration off the line in 1st and 2nd. After that, there is not much get up and go, but I think in this vehicle, too much acceleration would lead to trouble due to the high center of gravity. Riding around town in this is FUN ... Highway driving is a little wobbly. Steering is vague, which IS NOT GOOD. This is the only vehicle that does NOT look like something else, which makes it unique.

Favorite Features

Minimum blind spots. Good field of vision. - Manual transmission. - Easy clean interior - Lots of good after market accessories - High driving position - Great looking vehicle. Not your typical SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a diesel engine for better fuel economy - Might need more bars on the "Sport Bar" so I don't get my head crushed. - Make side airbags STANDARD. - Needs buttons to select 4WD instead of shift lever.