2008 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Review: Long term fun

2008 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Review

2008 Jeep Wrangler

Unlimited X Convertible SUV (3.8L V6 4x4 6-speed Manual)

Long term fun
By jimj on

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I have had 2 Jeep Cherokees, but didnt realize I never had a real Jeep till I bought this. I got the limited slip rear axle, and rarely had to use 4wd through a fairly tough Illinois winter. Have had no problems thru 33,000 miles, get 20 mpg, hauled my 21' boat to Canada, my camper to Oklahoma, and many business trips. My only complaint is that whenever I take the freedom top and doors off, the Jeep disappears (my wife takes it!) If I had to do it over, I would have gotten the power windows and locks, but other than that, I have no complaints. The 4 door model is practical for families, and it is just so much fun in both the winter and in summer, with the top and doors off, it rocks>

Feeling of confidence in winter conditions, summer with the roof and doors off it's like having a dune buggy. Can strap a canoe or kayak across the roll bars with the top off.

I agree with most that it needs more power, it pulls a trailer pretty well, but certain parts of the RPM band it just doesn't have anything and leaves you trying different gears to get it going again. Could use a roof rack option on the Freedom top to strap light cargo down.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review