Jeep Is Junk - 2008 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4x4 (automatic)
By gumby1995 on
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)
Bought 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited new in 2008. Noticed right away absolutely no power during normal acceleration, to point of being dangerous. Had one incident where gas pedal stuck on hill on windy backroad. Was able to unstick pedal and break before losing control of jeep. At time thought maybe floor mat had gotten stuck, after reading reviews online, not so sure. At 40,000 miles dealer telling me power steering leaking - cost - over $1,000! Advised me during driving I could lose control and cause major accident. Sounds like death shudder others commented on in reviews. Also burning oil like crazy at 40,000 miles, dealer told me well, thats just normal for a jeep!
Favorite Features
Pros - Body style, Handling in snow and ice, interior design - except for seats, they are terrible - I know, it's a jeep and a rough ride is part of experience, but this new four door design is attracting people wanting a jeep that is also practical with some comforts. Drove this to New Orleans, never again. Front seats were bad enough but back seat passenger was miserable. I have owned several SUV's and trucks so I have some experience to make comparisons. This is not a vehicle for anyone who can't afford alot of expensive repair costs, poor gas mileage, travels, or wants a comfortable ride (even on daily commute!).
Suggested Improvements
1. GAS MILEAGE!!!!! Besides scary defects, one of main reasons we are getting rid of it. I know - I knew this when I bought it, but not worth it when combined with all the mechanical problems. 2. Do recalls on the power steering leak problem (described in review portion). 3. Acceleration - no 6 cylinder vehicle in 2010 should have this poor performance, nothing wrong with vehicle I had it checked - told its just one of the drawbacks. 4. My cousin bought one before me in 2008, she has replaced the gas tank, had both front and rear differentials go out, and had same power steering leak with less than 40,000 miles on it! (We are both female driver and no off roading).