Used 2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Performance and Value
By 95yj08jk

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my 2008 Wrangler 4-dr X new in December 2008 after trading a Chrysler minivan for it. This is the fourth Jeep I have purchased in the past 15 years and I have to say that I love the new 4-door option. Compared to my wife's Grand Cherokee it's just as roomy and a lot more stylish, it's the icon of the Jeep lineup. Though the Grand Cherokee rides and drives better, the performance between the two is comparable. I overall average 23 MPG with mostly highway driving and the 6- speed manual transmission. I do have a K&N filter and run premium unleaded. In the past year I have put over 24,000 miles on the Jeep and have zero issues, tire rotations and oil changes are the only maintenance.

Love the new soft top design, goes up and down really easily. Soft top is quiet, but the hard top is better for highway speeds and cold weather. Fuel economy is good, better than most other SUV's on the market. Cargo area is large enough for me to take a family of 4 on vacation with all our stuff.

A little padding on the doors and console would be nice, as on long trips the hard plastic does become a little uncomfortable. There are aftermarket accessories which fix that, should be standard. Beyond that, keep up the good work Jeep engineers and I'll buy another one when I wear this one out!

better than the sahara
By Orlando

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I have had my X model for less than six months and so far it is great. the top comes down and goes up in less than three minutes. i made a few improvements, changed the tires to M/T's (old ones were slippery in the heavy rain). added a brush guard, side rails, rear bumper and seat covers. all for less than $3500.00. i spent a total of 21500.00 with all the upgrades and it looks far better than a stock sahara that cost 25k or more. would recommend the x over sahara or rubicon( make your own improvements and save money)

easy to upgrade at home with minimal mechanical skills.

i would like to see a 4.7L option and more cargo space. i can only fit one gym bag and maybe a back pack in the trunk.

disappointed
By Disappointed

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Most fun vehicle I have ever owned. Not 1 problem until 36600 miles. Dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree and engine overheated. Overheating caused the head to warp. Dealer said "sorry, bumper to bumper ran out at 36000". Would not back up the vehicle. Really a shame, I would have kept it a long time despite the sluggish motor. There are some things that could use improvement, but the fun factor far out weighed the negatives until it broke.

Full soft top and half doors were great. It was a real head turner and a blast to drive. On and off road.

Redesign the tops so they don"t leak into the jeep when you open the door in the rain. Fix the death wobble.

Some Pros & Cons
By Bill

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 7th Jeep I bought new to date. I liked the 4 door concept. I travel and the added cargo area works great. Gas mileage is not great, but better than many other SUV's. I enjoy driving it. Beware though, I was driving on a 5 lane Highway when the Death Wobble hit me. It almost resulted in a big crash. This came at 34,000 miles on the clock. Also rear disc brakes over heat on occasion. Both calipers & rotors needed replacement at 390000 miles.

Fold down seats, MP3 player, wide cargo area,

Fender flares allow dirt to build up on the running boards. Rear disc brake redesign needed.

I Won't Miss It
By MyMistake

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my Jeep Saraha Unlimited in August of '08. I traded my Honda Ridgeline because I wanted to drive American. Big mistake! The Jeep is very underpowered. If I even tow an empty 5x8 enclosed trailer, I know it is there. When I tow a single Waverunner the Jeep struggles and revs excessively. It is a good off road vehicle, if that is what you are looking for. I have had Jeeps before and this one was an improvement in areas like ride and interior comfort. Keep in mind that even with the longer wheelbase, the ride is still that of a Jeep. It is a lot of work to take it on a trip of 300 miles of more. It is affected by small amounts of wind and the interior is noisy. Not recommended by me.

Navigation, remote starter, and trade in value. Some how they do retain their value very well. I also liked the three piece removable top.

Fuel economy and performance need improved, but that would require a dramatic design change. When you have a rectangular box on top of a rectangular box you can't really expect fuel economy!

• SUV