Used 2008 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

disappointed
By Disappointed

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Most fun vehicle I have ever owned. Not 1 problem until 36600 miles. Dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree and engine overheated. Overheating caused the head to warp. Dealer said "sorry, bumper to bumper ran out at 36000". Would not back up the vehicle. Really a shame, I would have kept it a long time despite the sluggish motor. There are some things that could use improvement, but the fun factor far out weighed the negatives until it broke.

Favorite Features

Full soft top and half doors were great. It was a real head turner and a blast to drive. On and off road.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the tops so they don"t leak into the jeep when you open the door in the rain. Fix the death wobble.

Some Pros & Cons
By Bill

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 7th Jeep I bought new to date. I liked the 4 door concept. I travel and the added cargo area works great. Gas mileage is not great, but better than many other SUV's. I enjoy driving it. Beware though, I was driving on a 5 lane Highway when the Death Wobble hit me. It almost resulted in a big crash. This came at 34,000 miles on the clock. Also rear disc brakes over heat on occasion. Both calipers & rotors needed replacement at 390000 miles.

Favorite Features

Fold down seats, MP3 player, wide cargo area,

Suggested Improvements

Fender flares allow dirt to build up on the running boards. Rear disc brake redesign needed.

I Won't Miss It
By MyMistake

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my Jeep Saraha Unlimited in August of '08. I traded my Honda Ridgeline because I wanted to drive American. Big mistake! The Jeep is very underpowered. If I even tow an empty 5x8 enclosed trailer, I know it is there. When I tow a single Waverunner the Jeep struggles and revs excessively. It is a good off road vehicle, if that is what you are looking for. I have had Jeeps before and this one was an improvement in areas like ride and interior comfort. Keep in mind that even with the longer wheelbase, the ride is still that of a Jeep. It is a lot of work to take it on a trip of 300 miles of more. It is affected by small amounts of wind and the interior is noisy. Not recommended by me.

Favorite Features

Navigation, remote starter, and trade in value. Some how they do retain their value very well. I also liked the three piece removable top.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy and performance need improved, but that would require a dramatic design change. When you have a rectangular box on top of a rectangular box you can't really expect fuel economy!

Looks good
By Harsh

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I traded a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer for this Jeep when it caught my eye at a used dealership. The four door Jeep looks great but its not built as good as it looks. The 3.8-liter V6 is a bit under powered for a SUV especially on interstate as it shifts in and out of overdrive. When the cruse is set it will very 5 mph before it shifts. I find the seats uncomfortable especially the backseats they set up to straight and with no adjustment. There is not enough storage for small things like glasses or change. I have the hard top with removable "T" type tops and the Jeep is fun to drive on a nice day but I think I would take the Mountaineer back in a minute it had more power w/better fuel econ.

Favorite Features

Easy top removal Looks

Suggested Improvements

More power with better fuel economy. Don't take so many short cuts on design of comfort and storage. Not enough bang for your buck.

Jeep
By jeepvstoyota

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

We bought the Jeep in December of 08 and bought the 08 because they were trying to get rid of them for the new 09s. But the Jeep has been amazing! We've yet to use the 4wd but we want to. Its been to the shop once for a mechanical problem. It has the freedom top and we love it! The Jeep has been a good vehicle. The only bad thing is the back seat sits straight up, and a car seat is pretty hard to fit in there! But overall a good buy.

Favorite Features

Freedom top, 4 door, fun car and decent gas mileage. V8 would suit the car better.

Suggested Improvements

Complaints- its not a Toyota, the gas pedal isn't sensitive at all and when going up the mountain you almost have to floor it before it realizes you want to accelerate:) Lots of road noise