Used 2008 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

REALLY WANTED TO LIKE IT BUT..
By Anthony

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Bought the Jeep thinking it would be a tough, fun, dependable vehicle. It turned out anything but. Many problems, several of which the dealer won't warranty. Shakes and gets "death wobble" over bumps which is very scary and makes the vehicle undriveable. I really wanted to like this vehicle but the build quality is just too poor. On the plus side the top and doors come off, but the fun is defeated by the poor build and scary ride.

Favorite Features

Removable top/doors, rugged looks, 4WD

Suggested Improvements

Fix death wobble and steering issues, fix build quality and better parts.

A car you have to own... for two years
By CEOofTNFYA

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This iconic vehicle is the most fun you can have driving under 20mph. The design will never get old and the amount of bad weather confidence you gain by getting behind the wheel of this beast is unmatched. The deeper the snow the more I wanted to go out. I think it drives better in the deep stuff than on a clear road. That is also the problem. It is incredibly loud at highway speed, the hood will lift up and slam down in the wind, and it needs constant input to keep in a straight line. This is the least practical vehicle on the road but one you simply have to own at some point in your life. Left me stranded at 2500 miles due to faulty fuel gauge, took 11 days to fix. No confidence in brand

Favorite Features

The 4x4 paired with traction control, visibility, ground clearance, all weather tires (even without the upgraded all terrain tires), sirius radio and upgraded stereo

Suggested Improvements

People don't mention this stuff but... Front seats don't stay pushed forward when entering the back even on a slight incline, doors don't hold open and just close on you. It's not a practical vehicle but these little things can't be blamed in it being "rugged"

Death Wobble
By Ron

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I really enjoyed the Jeep for the first six months that I owned it but at approximately 12,800 miles, while driving down a freeway at roughly 65 mph I hit a small bump in the road and the entire front end of the vehicle started to shudder to the point that it was almost impossible to control. I took the vehicle to the dealership and after checking they advised that I had a leaking steering damper which was replaced under warranty. After doing a lot of research, I discovered that this is a condition commonly referred to as "Death Wobble" which appears to be a recurring problem with Wranglers. I don't feel that the vehicle is safe to operate and I will be getting rid of it.

Favorite Features

Removable Freedom Top.

Suggested Improvements

Cure "Death Wobble". More power, 202 h.p. is not adequate for this vehicle.

Performance and Value
By 95yj08jk

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my 2008 Wrangler 4-dr X new in December 2008 after trading a Chrysler minivan for it. This is the fourth Jeep I have purchased in the past 15 years and I have to say that I love the new 4-door option. Compared to my wife's Grand Cherokee it's just as roomy and a lot more stylish, it's the icon of the Jeep lineup. Though the Grand Cherokee rides and drives better, the performance between the two is comparable. I overall average 23 MPG with mostly highway driving and the 6- speed manual transmission. I do have a K&N filter and run premium unleaded. In the past year I have put over 24,000 miles on the Jeep and have zero issues, tire rotations and oil changes are the only maintenance.

Favorite Features

Love the new soft top design, goes up and down really easily. Soft top is quiet, but the hard top is better for highway speeds and cold weather. Fuel economy is good, better than most other SUV's on the market. Cargo area is large enough for me to take a family of 4 on vacation with all our stuff.

Suggested Improvements

A little padding on the doors and console would be nice, as on long trips the hard plastic does become a little uncomfortable. There are aftermarket accessories which fix that, should be standard. Beyond that, keep up the good work Jeep engineers and I'll buy another one when I wear this one out!

better than the sahara
By Orlando

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I have had my X model for less than six months and so far it is great. the top comes down and goes up in less than three minutes. i made a few improvements, changed the tires to M/T's (old ones were slippery in the heavy rain). added a brush guard, side rails, rear bumper and seat covers. all for less than $3500.00. i spent a total of 21500.00 with all the upgrades and it looks far better than a stock sahara that cost 25k or more. would recommend the x over sahara or rubicon( make your own improvements and save money)

Favorite Features

easy to upgrade at home with minimal mechanical skills.

Suggested Improvements

i would like to see a 4.7L option and more cargo space. i can only fit one gym bag and maybe a back pack in the trunk.