2008 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
REALLY WANTED TO LIKE IT BUT..
By Anthony on 02/02/10 20:29 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Bought the Jeep thinking it would be a tough, fun, dependable vehicle. It turned out anything but. Many problems, several of which the dealer won't warranty. Shakes and gets "death wobble" over bumps which is very scary and makes the vehicle undriveable. I really wanted to like this vehicle but the build quality is just too poor. On the plus side the top and doors come off, but the fun is defeated by the poor build and scary ride.

A car you have to own... for two years
By CEOofTNFYA on 02/01/10 18:43 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This iconic vehicle is the most fun you can have driving under 20mph. The design will never get old and the amount of bad weather confidence you gain by getting behind the wheel of this beast is unmatched. The deeper the snow the more I wanted to go out. I think it drives better in the deep stuff than on a clear road. That is also the problem. It is incredibly loud at highway speed, the hood will lift up and slam down in the wind, and it needs constant input to keep in a straight line. This is the least practical vehicle on the road but one you simply have to own at some point in your life. Left me stranded at 2500 miles due to faulty fuel gauge, took 11 days to fix. No confidence in brand

Death Wobble
By Ron on 12/15/09 14:00 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I really enjoyed the Jeep for the first six months that I owned it but at approximately 12,800 miles, while driving down a freeway at roughly 65 mph I hit a small bump in the road and the entire front end of the vehicle started to shudder to the point that it was almost impossible to control. I took the vehicle to the dealership and after checking they advised that I had a leaking steering damper which was replaced under warranty. After doing a lot of research, I discovered that this is a condition commonly referred to as "Death Wobble" which appears to be a recurring problem with Wranglers. I don't feel that the vehicle is safe to operate and I will be getting rid of it.

Performance and Value
By 95yj08jk on 12/07/09 21:10 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my 2008 Wrangler 4-dr X new in December 2008 after trading a Chrysler minivan for it. This is the fourth Jeep I have purchased in the past 15 years and I have to say that I love the new 4-door option. Compared to my wife's Grand Cherokee it's just as roomy and a lot more stylish, it's the icon of the Jeep lineup. Though the Grand Cherokee rides and drives better, the performance between the two is comparable. I overall average 23 MPG with mostly highway driving and the 6- speed manual transmission. I do have a K&N filter and run premium unleaded. In the past year I have put over 24,000 miles on the Jeep and have zero issues, tire rotations and oil changes are the only maintenance.

better than the sahara
By Orlando on 10/23/09 15:53 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I have had my X model for less than six months and so far it is great. the top comes down and goes up in less than three minutes. i made a few improvements, changed the tires to M/T's (old ones were slippery in the heavy rain). added a brush guard, side rails, rear bumper and seat covers. all for less than $3500.00. i spent a total of 21500.00 with all the upgrades and it looks far better than a stock sahara that cost 25k or more. would recommend the x over sahara or rubicon( make your own improvements and save money)

disappointed
By Disappointed on 10/23/09 10:16 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Most fun vehicle I have ever owned. Not 1 problem until 36600 miles. Dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree and engine overheated. Overheating caused the head to warp. Dealer said "sorry, bumper to bumper ran out at 36000". Would not back up the vehicle. Really a shame, I would have kept it a long time despite the sluggish motor. There are some things that could use improvement, but the fun factor far out weighed the negatives until it broke.

Some Pros & Cons
By Bill on 10/22/09 08:24 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 7th Jeep I bought new to date. I liked the 4 door concept. I travel and the added cargo area works great. Gas mileage is not great, but better than many other SUV's. I enjoy driving it. Beware though, I was driving on a 5 lane Highway when the Death Wobble hit me. It almost resulted in a big crash. This came at 34,000 miles on the clock. Also rear disc brakes over heat on occasion. Both calipers & rotors needed replacement at 390000 miles.

I Won't Miss It
By MyMistake on 10/21/09 09:34 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my Jeep Saraha Unlimited in August of '08. I traded my Honda Ridgeline because I wanted to drive American. Big mistake! The Jeep is very underpowered. If I even tow an empty 5x8 enclosed trailer, I know it is there. When I tow a single Waverunner the Jeep struggles and revs excessively. It is a good off road vehicle, if that is what you are looking for. I have had Jeeps before and this one was an improvement in areas like ride and interior comfort. Keep in mind that even with the longer wheelbase, the ride is still that of a Jeep. It is a lot of work to take it on a trip of 300 miles of more. It is affected by small amounts of wind and the interior is noisy. Not recommended by me.

Looks good
By Harsh on 10/02/09 06:38 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I traded a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer for this Jeep when it caught my eye at a used dealership. The four door Jeep looks great but its not built as good as it looks. The 3.8-liter V6 is a bit under powered for a SUV especially on interstate as it shifts in and out of overdrive. When the cruse is set it will very 5 mph before it shifts. I find the seats uncomfortable especially the backseats they set up to straight and with no adjustment. There is not enough storage for small things like glasses or change. I have the hard top with removable "T" type tops and the Jeep is fun to drive on a nice day but I think I would take the Mountaineer back in a minute it had more power w/better fuel econ.

Jeep
By jeepvstoyota on 09/17/09 20:35 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

We bought the Jeep in December of 08 and bought the 08 because they were trying to get rid of them for the new 09s. But the Jeep has been amazing! We've yet to use the 4wd but we want to. Its been to the shop once for a mechanical problem. It has the freedom top and we love it! The Jeep has been a good vehicle. The only bad thing is the back seat sits straight up, and a car seat is pretty hard to fit in there! But overall a good buy.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.