Used 2008 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Love love love my Jeep!
By Beth 0505

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I absolutely LOVE my Jeep - have wanted one ever since I turned 16, and now at 34 finally got it! The 4 door was the selling point for me as I have 2 kids to transport all over town. My Jeep is really fun to drive, the kids love it, and I can put all their sports equipment and groceries in the back! Then take a drive and take off the top - have the freedom hardtop, the front portion literally takes me 3 min to take off and stow in trunk (I've timed it)!

Favorite Features

Very fun vehicle to drive - freedom hardtop is great!

Suggested Improvements

fuel economy would be my only improvement; but I did know that going into it!

No power
By David Fekete

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

For a vehicle that they've been making for a long, long time, this thing is lacking in so many areas. My biggest complaint is that it's horribly under powered. Most V6s are pushing 250 to 300 horses, this thing rates at around 202. Mine's a 6 speed manual..forget about passing. The lack of a hood latch is almost dangerous. On a windy day or when a truck passes the hood slams up and down. Those big rubber bands holding down the hood just don't cut it. The soft top is not an easy off and on, they could and should have done better. In a nutshell, never again! What once was an American icon is now pretty much junk.

Favorite Features

Fun when the top is down.

Suggested Improvements

More power. Better hood latch. easier to use soft top. More power, and did I say MORE POWER. My wife's 8 year old 4 cylinder Honda CR-V runs circles around my Jeep.

Rethinking My Loyalty to Jeep
By max888

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Initially purchased 2007 Wrangler 2- door X model. Freedom top (hard top) repeatedly leaked, despite many trip to the service dept at the dealership. Service manager told me, "They all leak," as though it should be expected. Jeep did a buy- back and shipped it back to Michigan. Replaced it with '08. Same thing--top and doors leaked like sieves. Repeated servicing, heavy-duty gaskets installed finally solved leakage problem. Next--the "death wobble." Not a new experience, as '95 Cherokee had done the same thing. Steering stabilizer replacement fixed the problem. Now, the dealership is telling me that at 54k m., the shocks are "seeping," steering damper "leaking." Want $800--NOT!

Favorite Features

4WD, small size, visibility--always liked Wranglers, but doubt I will buy another, since they've turned into CRAP.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign leaky Freedom top (if I had wanted a convertible, I would have bought one,) leaky doors, leaky windows, steering stabilizer (obviously a chronic and DANGEROUS problem for YEARS), and doors that allow water to pour into vehicle when it rains. Could use a bigger engine, too, IMO.

Don't buy this car
By Jsami

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car almost three years ago and it operated fine until four months ago. First the car developed a starting problem. I have taken the car in five times for this problem and they still have not fixed it. Then the car developed another problem this time all the cars alarms went off at the same time then the win shield washer turned on and then the transmission began to kick. Apparently according to my dealer the problem was caused by my car's radio which came with the car. Then my cars AC gave out when I took it to the dealer they kept the car for four days and said nothing was wrong. Then a few days later the AC broke down so I took it to the dealer and showed it to the manager.

Suggested Improvements

If you are looking for a new car don't buy a Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge. Sometimes I think I bought a time share on the car because my dealer has the car about 40% of the time.

It's a Jeep!
By Matt

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Love it, nothing like taking the top off for the evening commute, and just cruise. Smooth ride, good fuel mileage. Get 20-21 hwy, if you can keep your foot out of it. People complain that it is sluggish, it is made to get you wherever you want to go, not a 0-60 hot rod. Everyone that has taken a closer look and ride, wants one. I will be a Wrangler owner for life.

Favorite Features

The 3 piece hard top. Can remove over the front in 10 min. Folding rear seats, plenty of cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior fenders and bumpers are too easily to fade. Perhaps a carbon fiber option, lol.