Used 2008 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Its a Jeep
By lock3056

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Bought a 2008 when it was new, I've had it 3 years and have no complaints yet. I think people seem to be confused about what under powered is. Its not a power thing its a gear ratio thing, I have a 6 speed Manual, its a Torque monster. While it may not run 12's in the Quarter mile it will pull a stump out of the ground. Love the Hard top, It is Quieter than our 2008 Cadillac CTS on and off the freeway. Great Family Vehicle. If acceleration is an Issue you can purchase a Bully dog tuner/gauge it makes a world of difference.

Simple, Easy to repair, and the Freedom top is Awesome!

Hood latches could be a little stronger but there is a safety latch preventing it from flying up if they do fail...

Jeep Is Junk - 2008 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4x4 (automatic)
By gumby1995

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Bought 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited new in 2008. Noticed right away absolutely no power during normal acceleration, to point of being dangerous. Had one incident where gas pedal stuck on hill on windy backroad. Was able to unstick pedal and break before losing control of jeep. At time thought maybe floor mat had gotten stuck, after reading reviews online, not so sure. At 40,000 miles dealer telling me power steering leaking - cost - over $1,000! Advised me during driving I could lose control and cause major accident. Sounds like death shudder others commented on in reviews. Also burning oil like crazy at 40,000 miles, dealer told me well, thats just normal for a jeep!

Pros - Body style, Handling in snow and ice, interior design - except for seats, they are terrible - I know, it's a jeep and a rough ride is part of experience, but this new four door design is attracting people wanting a jeep that is also practical with some comforts. Drove this to New Orleans, never again. Front seats were bad enough but back seat passenger was miserable. I have owned several SUV's and trucks so I have some experience to make comparisons. This is not a vehicle for anyone who can't afford alot of expensive repair costs, poor gas mileage, travels, or wants a comfortable ride (even on daily commute!).

1. GAS MILEAGE!!!!! Besides scary defects, one of main reasons we are getting rid of it. I know - I knew this when I bought it, but not worth it when combined with all the mechanical problems. 2. Do recalls on the power steering leak problem (described in review portion). 3. Acceleration - no 6 cylinder vehicle in 2010 should have this poor performance, nothing wrong with vehicle I had it checked - told its just one of the drawbacks. 4. My cousin bought one before me in 2008, she has replaced the gas tank, had both front and rear differentials go out, and had same power steering leak with less than 40,000 miles on it! (We are both female driver and no off roading).

Jeep needs to get it together
By jason

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I just sold my 2008 wrangler x unlimited. Until Jeep gets there act together and builds a quality, fuel efficient wrangler, I won't buy another Jeep product. I loved my Jeep but the fuel economy, power, and build quality far outweigh the good things about the car. I live in Florida where the roads are flat. Getting 16 mpg at 70 mph on the interstate is unacceptable. Also, I feel like the lack of power can be dangerous sometimes when merging onto an interstate or pulling out in traffic when you need power. The Jeep hesitates and doesn't move. Get it together Jeep!

good resale

Engine performance, fuel economy , build quality

Jumped tooo fast !!
By C Cherry

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Fell in LOVE with the four door Jeep...hunted 3 months before I found 1 I liked and affordable. Four door has come along way for Jeeps-however IT IS STILL A "SUV" JEEP, NO comfort - particularly on long trips. Back seats sit straight up with No adjustments, doors swing open, lights are not auto, TEST DRIVE - LIVE in it for 24 hours first. It is a GREAT size and a looker but NO comfort!

Tops in front - easy to remove.

Lights, Doors, radio, comfort, etc. etc.

Last Chrysler product I will ever buy
By Keith Cywinki

2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

The hinges on the jeep have already began to flake and fall off, and when it was taken to the dealership for repair, Chrysler denied the claim. This has been a problem with jeeps for years, and they know its a problem, but continue to ignore the problem. So, much for spending money on the extended warranty. There will be no more Chrysler products in my drive way. At least GM stands behind there products.