Used 2008 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

07 Wrangler that knows rocks and trails
By mattjk84

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Bought my 2007 JK while still in college so I logged many miles during its first year, now it is used more for rock climbing and hunting. Extremely tough and reliable, I installed a 2.5" lift and 33" BF Goodrich M/T's and it will take anything I can throw at it. Great fuel mileage given the use, and no mechanical problems.

Favorite Features

Favorite features would be the new 3.8L. V6 that replaced the dated 4.0 L I6. The extra length and width makes it much more manageable on the road. Also the new high pinion front axle.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvements I can think of would be to give it a 4.7 L. V8 option. Also, please build the truck version, the Gladiator.

Impresed
By House of Fun

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I was a bit doubtful that the Jeep would work as good as it looks. I'm very impressed with the ride, handling, quality and surprisingly, the gas mileage. The interior ergonomics are very weak, it's like no one actually sat in one before okaying it for production. So far I've had 2 odd occurrences: A one time puddle of gear oil under the rear end and I was driving down the highway and the dash lights came on, the windshield wipers wiped once and it never happened again. Summary: I love it

Favorite Features

Overall style, nice ride and handling, adequate performance, decent fuel economy for a brick, A good value.

Suggested Improvements

Upper edge of door panel is too square and digs into my elbow! Couldn't they have rounded it off a little? Very odd location of Overdrive button. Why isn't it on the shifter?!? Where's the ashtray to stash little items? Why no map pockets in the rear doors? Needs more storage pockets and cubbies

Second Jeep I'M IN LOVE!
By Erik and Millisse

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Got a fantastic deal. Love the choice in colors and models. The X with the power pack is darn close to the Sahara without paying the Sahara price. Get the hard top 3 piece. No leaks, yet. Gas mileage is ok 18.5 avg. I'm going to put a cold air intake and spacer to improve fuel consumption. Its fun to drive looks great and can go anywhere offroad i need it to go. Plenty of room in the back seat and cargo area. The stereo rocks. Those who want more zoom should by a car, hello it's a Jeep

Favorite Features

Love the 6 speed stick and the stereo. V6 is great too. 3 piece hard top is the best feature. The good ride was unexpected. Drove it 200+ miles home from the dealer and was pleasantly surprised.

Suggested Improvements

4.0! More pockets and storage space up front like a dish on the dash and cup holders in the doors. Pockets in the back of the seats too. Tow kit should come with all unlimited models for that price.

my 2nd Jeep
By jane the greek

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I am pretty content with this 4 door box. I also have a 2 door 99 Cherokee se that has the in line six. That Cherokee has 150k on it and still runs like a champ! It also influenced my decision on purchasing this new one i got. It's just awesome off the road.

Favorite Features

the freedom top is cool. Off road handling is very good. The YES fabric on the inside is very good & easy to clean if you have kids or you're just dirty. All around good vehicle

Suggested Improvements

The 3 pc hard top that needs to be perfectly aligned when being put back on. You can be a hair off and have rain leak onto your dash,radio etc. The inline 6 should also be an option. Painted wheel flares should also be an option on Sahara. Only after 3 washes & 1 lite off-roading scratches appeared.

Jeep J-J-Jeep
By ScottR

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

As soon as Jeep came out with the Unlimited (4-door) Wranglers, I knew I wanted one. I only have 2000 miles on it so far and can't really comment on reliability (been great so far!). Otherwise I love it! Design gets all 10s from me -- from the outside in, it's a Jeep! And the drivetrain seems to be as solid as they claim. Love the freedom tops. Sound system is much better than older Wranglers. Road noise with the hard top is not bad, which surprised me. Handles well on highway at 80+ MPH, which is also surprising (though it wanders a bit). I'm a big guy, and interior is very comfortable for me. Fuel economy? I gave it a 10 because it meets my expectations. It's a Jeep, not a Toyota.

Favorite Features

Appearance, ground clearance, MyGig/Nav (tho MP3 needs improvement), Freedom Tops, 4-doors, suspension. Hmmm, everything except below.

Suggested Improvements

Two things come to mind: I would have paid more for a V8 or a Hemi, no question. No option, though. The MyGig MP3 player interface needs tweaking. Sometimes it "crashes" and won't play anything until I turn car off and on. Sorting is bad (songs sorted my name, not Artist-Album-Name). Annoying.