Used 2008 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Enjoying the Jeep
By BTM449

2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This was the first American car purchased in the last 20 year. Along with the Jeep, I own an 08 Acura MDX, 04 BMW 3-Series convertible, and an 06 BMW 5-Series. The Jeep is exactly what I expected; the complete opposite of these vehicles. It drives like a truck and has minimal luxury features. You either love it or hate it... And after the first extreme snow storm here in New England, I love it. The Jeep does exactly what it is supposed to do. The 4-wheel-drive plows though and makes you feel quite safe even though you do not have a lot surrounding you. There is not a lot of power, cannot accelerate quickly, but you can get yourself unstuck. Excellent quality and value (so far). BUY JEEP

Definitely opt for the power options (remote key-less entry, power windows). The sound system is also decent and has a pretty good sized sub woofer in the back. Sahara Pkg.-- The different suspension makes it smoother on road.

Move the power window buttons... They are awkwardly placed in the center console. More power! Power soft top would be pretty cool.

So far, so good
By CCJ

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

My third Wrangler. This one is best by leaps and bounds. Power is adequate for highway use, but another 40 hp would be welcome. Handling is much better than earlier iterations. I bought an X with the 24S option package. Adding the Limited Slip rear axle, rock rails, extra skid plates and the Freedom Top. To date, I've had no issues of consequence. A minor, but annoying rattle in the driver's side. A pillar was traced to an over-tightened screw in the plastic trim that stripped out the plastic. Going up one size fixed that. A minor rain leak between the halves of the top was corrected by cleaning the sealing area and silicon treating the seals. 18/25 mileage so far. I love this beast.

No other vehicle offers as much customization and after-market hardware. It's easy and inexpensive to personalize or configure for insane off-road adventures. You can leave it absolutely stock and know that you still own one of the most capable factory built off-road vehicles on the market.

More power. Improve the hard top design (too many reports of leaks). Add a front skid plate to protect the steering damper and sway bar disco electronics. A Dana 44 front axle should be optional on the X model. Hood hold down rubbers: they get weak with age and the hood can flutter at speed.

My 1st JEEP... what joy!
By BLUTOV

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I've had my Jeep for 2 weeks now and it is outstanding. It's a Sahara unlimited 4x4 2008. It sits on forte chrome blunt 22"wheels with toyo tires. Chrome gas cap, door handles, and side steps. Custom paint (the hard top, bumpers and mirrors too) rescue green. Katzkin leather seats with suede in the middle and a 368w 7-speaker infinity sound sys incl subwoofer with Sirius satellite radio... Remote starter... A bought it from the dealer like this and got a real good deal... The rake is beautiful... It stands tall... Looks and is tough... In short a show stopper... I love my Jeep! Buy American! The drive is smooth... Average gas consumption 19.5 mpg. People just gawk at it or grin with glee.

Killer sound system and SIRIUS. The Freedom Top.

I don't know what can be improved...Jeeps are supposed to be somewhat spartan...that's the hook.

best hunting vehicle there is
By J.B.D.S.

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This Jeep is great I have been a truck guy all my life and was looking at new vehicles and decided to try the 4 door Rubicon. I am loving it goes more places then my fx4 ever thought about going doesn't bottom out over the tx terrian when I'm going to the deer stand. I got the hard top wish I had the soft top also for summer looking to buy one my wife didn't want me to buy this and now she drives it more then I do going to have to trade her car in for a another one I recomend this vehicle to anyone. Took it to sedona az in the mountains and it was great no problems did anything I wanted to do. This is the best vehicle I have ever owned keeping till the wheels fall off.

Navigation, lockers, hard top and doors come off easy my wife and i can lift the hard top, storage in rear is great more room then Ford Explorer and Jeep Cherokee, the stock tires are great love the BFG MUDS.

bigger engine would help for more performance but hurt mileage, more cup holders in front.

love our x
By nelson

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

This is the 6th Jeep I've owned and the best, although the 47 cj2a was almost as fun to drive. The power to fuel economy ratio is fine for us. With a catback exhaust and k&n air filter we brought both up. By selecting the x with s pkg. Along with locking diff. And sway bar disconnect we have all the offroad guts we need without geting the more spendy Rubicon. Also Jeeps are for the most part made in the USA and by not retooling design every year are more eco friendly and less expensive. My only change would be a seperate swing away spare tie and drop down tailgate. (makes a fine bench) we expect to own our x for a long time so the lifetime drive warrenty is also Nice-----thanks

stance ,clearance, appearance, turning radius and a actual lever to change transfer case functions

drop down tailgate